Llyod Mc Neill

DJelV2000DJelV2000 322 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
Quick OG reish check...i got a copy of ASHA today, looks to be a 70's reish, says "this is a reissue" on the back, black and white cover, black and white label w/ 1969 washington DC...the inside cover is that old thick cardboard, but I am wondering if anyone has any Ideaabout the year it came out and ballpark $...thanksgood ass record, BTW, any info on other stuff he did?

Comments

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Here's some info provided by a dude I know who is good friends with Lloyd:

http://www.hipwax.com/music/patch/flute_lm.html

Asha was released in '69. I've had Treasures and Tori, but Asha is supposed to be his best release.

• You've got it right.... the original is same design but in gaudy color. I don't believe there's been a modern issue of any of his older albums but that could change soon.

He has 3 LPs on asha and 3 LPs on baobab. The cream IMO is Washington Suite... lonnnng tracks with ample rhodes. It calms me when I'm traveling. But ari tells me I'm high for not liking ASHA #1 more.

$-wise I don't know. He was just on a soul-jazz comp so people have an eye peeled. The baobab LPs especially you used to get for pennies.

• Thanks for the info, fellas...

I'm really feeling this record, I'm gonna have to chase down those other LP's (if I can Find them)
    The only reason I ask about $ is that I paid 15 bucks for it and it is a re-ish (although
    it sounds like an '69 re-ish), I just want to know if I overpaid.

anybody got a link to a longer bio?

• You didn't overpay. $15 is a steal. But I'll bet that's the only one you'll be able to find for that cheap these days.

His other asha LPs are very pricey lately. Like $100, 200. Probably from the shine the soul jazz comp gave him. Baobab less so but I think I saw some fool pay $150 for one of them. (I don't like them as much)

The hyp records folks hype him up a bit much, but he is very good. I have everything but tanner suite. Most digitized to mp3, we can do a trade if you'd just like to hear em.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    I've lived in DC since 1988 and I've found Asha twice and one of those was trashed. Really nice LP.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    You didn't overpay. $15 is a steal. But I'll bet that's the only one you'll be able to find for that cheap these days.

His other asha LPs are very pricey lately. Like $100, 200. Probably from the shine the soul jazz comp gave him. Baobab less so but I think I saw some fool pay $150 for one of them. (I don't like them as much)

Fucking a... I missed a WASHINGTON SUITE my store sold on ebay for like $20 a couple years ago... didn't think it'd be that difficult to grab again. now I'm mad.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    washington suite is a monster. love that.

ever notice the dancer on the back has half her kotex sticking out the side of her leotard?

• Fucking a... I missed a WASHINGTON SUITE my store sold on ebay for like $20 a couple years ago... didn't think it'd be that difficult to grab again. now I'm mad.

I bought a copy for a pretty large sum of money from a fellow soulstrutter and have no regrets.

His explanation: "I listened to it last night and you need this more than I do". Now that's good lookin out.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    This one is excellent in my completely unbiased opinion:

Don't sleep.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    You've got it right.... the original is same design but in gaudy color. I don't believe there's been a modern issue of any of his older albums but that could change soon.

He has 3 LPs on asha and 3 LPs on baobab. The cream IMO is Washington Suite... lonnnng tracks with ample rhodes. It calms me when I'm traveling. But ari tells me I'm high for not liking ASHA #1 more.

$-wise I don't know. He was just on a soul-jazz comp so people have an eye peeled. The baobab LPs especially you used to get for pennies.

never particularly dug his baobab releases. and they used to be $6.99 records and bountiful. only had a couple of 'em. Tori and whatever the other one was.

You are high, andrew. Asha is frigging beautiful but don't misinterpret... washington suite is one of those kick myself records for not buying on two occasions for $60 and then $75.

BTW: FL may actually happen. Suddenly i find myself with a lot of time and a serious need to not knock the hustle. suffice to say 9-5 no more. feels weird but that could be the hangover talking.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    BTW: FL may actually happen. Suddenly i find myself with a lot of time and a serious need to not knock the hustle. suffice to say 9-5 no more. feels weird but that could be the hangover talking.

what's this? you gonna hustle full-time now?

guess I shouldn't have told you about all my secret spots the other day then...

I tore through all those lps after you left btw - there wasn't anything that would have interested you

---

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

I tore through all those lps after you left btw - there wasn't anything that would have interested you

---

i lost my job. convoluted organizational politics and dynamics got the best of me. i would truly prefer not to sell records to pay rent but seeing as i have one week of pay, it may have to be the case for a bit until i can get my feet back on the ground.

i hope you found something good.

---

i lost my job. convoluted organizational politics and dynamics got the best of me. i would truly prefer not to sell records to pay rent but seeing as i have one week of pay, it may have to be the case for a bit until i can get my feet back on the ground.

Damn, sorry to hear that.

I bet you have enough 'moder soul' & P&P twelve-inch shit laying around to keep you alright indefinitely tho.

I got 'Expensive Shit' & a couple British hippie folk things - there was about half-a-dozen El Saturn titles, but I already had 'em, so I didn't make a play.
    There were like 3 or 4 Ras Michael & Sons of Negus lps - perhaps you may have 'dug' those...

---

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I got 'Expensive Shit' & a couple British hippie folk things - there was about half-a-dozen El Saturn titles, but I already had 'em, so I didn't make a play.
    There were like 3 or 4 Ras Michael & Sons of Negus lps - perhaps you may have 'dug' those...

what the fuck kinda spot is this?????

not the type you'd find in NC that much is certain...

• i lost my job. convoluted organizational politics and dynamics got the best of me. i would truly prefer not to sell records to pay rent but seeing as i have one week of pay, it may have to be the case for a bit until i can get my feet back on the ground.

Shit ari! So the shoe finally dropped. Sorry to hear that... sounded like a frustrating situation... you should def catch a cheap fare and come down here. I'm calling a guy today about 50k LPs I'm going to try to check out this weekend. Not exactly untouched, but still. I'll call you this week.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

Shit ari! So the shoe finally dropped. Sorry to hear that... sounded like a frustrating situation... you should def catch a cheap fare and come down here. I'm calling a guy today about 50k LPs I'm going to try to check out this weekend. Not exactly untouched, but still. I'll call you this week.

something was going to happen from either end. i sort of resolved while standing in front of Lake Superior in the UP to stick it out 6 more months, but now my thinking needs to get into high gear. gotta seriously start thinking about getting back to school. but guess i got some time to think now.

if flights were dirt cheap i would most definitely get down there. depends on how much free time you had. i still want to hit south of you. unfortunately gas prices are such that road trips seem out of the question.

definitely ring me up, i wanna hear about honeymoon and married life.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

I bet you have enough 'moder soul' & P&P twelve-inch shit laying around to keep you alright indefinitely tho.

---

unfortunately i like records so much that it's hard to peel off the money to pay rent and stop buying music that relaxes me.

i want expensive shit too.

no saturns for me. should i call over and see what i can work out?

---

unfortunately i like records so much that it's hard to peel off the money to pay rent and stop buying music that relaxes me.

i want expensive shit too.

no saturns for me. should i call over and see what i can work out?

if you're still in the area it might be worth going back to see what's still sitting there, they've been triple-timing on the ebay listing front though.

sure it's hard to sell off good records to pay bills, but you sometimes you gotta do it - it's about the willpower & overcoming a hoarder mentality.

I got broad tastes, I pretty much like all styles of music, but I can't have a copy of every good record in existence - aiming for that is almost a disease.

---

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    nope back in NOLA. i'm a bit confused why i couldn't look through the stuff to purchase in the first place. but i ain't complaining. ok, gotta go umm... make some moves. hahaha... on the basketball court suckas.