What do Kenny G and Miles Davis have in common?

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited February 2011 in Strut Central
They gots the same 'do

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I like that even in a pic w/the two together, seemingly candid or by accident, Miles is still like:
    What the fuck is wrong with this fool.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    Theyre both pretty funny lookin

• homie has a backpack on, hahaha!

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    They're both game changing geniuses whose legacy still has an impact on music to this day.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Miles always looked kool as a ma'fuka, even in that shirt. Kenny always looks goofy as a ma'fuka, even next to Miles.

• Kenny G: It's your boy right here, it's young!
    Miles: Who is this herb?

great picture

• Other than the fact that they both blow air into a metal instrument, not a fucking thing.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    By the time Miles teamed up with Teo Macero, he pretty much started using the same cheesy, brassy tone as Kenny G. A lot of those late-60's Miles albums are still good despite the commercial sound, but once Miles started approaching the 80's...fuggitabouddit.

Of course, I think the older Kind of Blue sowed plenty of seeds for what I consider Miles' bastardization of the classic bebop trumpet tone ala Fats Navarro, Clifford Brown, Lee Morgan, Kenny Dorham, etc.

Miles and Freddie Hubbard...great at times, and at others...full on suck.

At least, that's one man's opinion.

• Both have records out that people played while makin' out

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    They both hate corny-ass soft commercial rhyming.

Oh, wait...that's what KRS and Tim Dog have in common.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Kenny G played with Tom Grant, Tom Grant Played with Tony Williams, Tony Williams played with Miles Davis.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    46 chromosomes.

• during the 70's both tried their hand at funk projects that aimed to capture the interest of the young black market.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,892 Posts
    When you walk into a megastore, they are the only 2 artists in the Jazz section.

• Does no one like the Jeff Lorber stuff that Kenny played on? I'm a sucker for a bit of that straight fusion stuff.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,892 Posts
    djwaxon said:
    Does no one like the Jeff Lorber stuff that Kenny played on? I'm a sucker for a bit of that straight fusion stuff.

Yeah, I ride for that. Galaxian, Water Sign, Soft Space and dem. Dennis Bradford was killing it on drums. There was a track called "Black Ice" we used to cover that was always a blast to play. I think the one GORELICK came on board to replace Terry Layne on the later stuff, like Wizard Island. The G Man is technically better but Terry had more soul.

• Cheers Jim I wasn't aware of the Pre-G Lorber stuff, I'll check some out.

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    Kenny G played with Tom Grant, Tom Grant Played with Tony Williams, Tony Williams played with Miles Davis.

Six degrees of Kenny G... excellent.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    djwaxon said:
    Cheers Jim I wasn't aware of the Pre-G Lorber stuff, I'll check some out.

If you have not heard this one the time is now. Quartet with Joe Henderson, Rick Laird, Ron Steen. Great electric keys in a driving straight ahead setting.

• waxjunky said:
    46 chromosomes.

I cannot accept this response