sly stone FAMILY AFFAIR drum machine?

youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
what drum machine does sly use for this? peace, stein. . .

Comments

• It was probablly just a drum machine built in one of his organs.

• "The Maestro Rhythm King" aka "Rhythm Box" aka "Funk Box"....

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    "The Maestro Rhythm King" aka "Rhythm Box" aka "Funk Box"....

Beat me to it.

I am not sure if this is the same "funk box" that would later be used by Graham Central Station on their first three albums (in songs like "People", "G.C.S.", "Tis Your Kind Of Music", and of course "The Jam"). But... there we go.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

Beat me to it.

I am not sure if this is the same "funk box" that would later be used by Graham Central Station on their first three albums (in songs like "People", "G.C.S.", "Tis Your Kind Of Music", and of course "The Jam"). But... there we go.

Stein, you should know that one...Thes and K use one of those for their live shows.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    Also used by Shuggie Otis on his Inspiration Information album

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    norman whitfield was a fan too...

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    timmy thomas and little beaver too, no?

• I heard that "family affair" and the rest of the songs on that lp had that dusty, cardboard box sound as Sly kept going back and recording over the same section of tape.

• good looks people. stein. . .

• i forgot to say THES has one and was using it in the puts show for a while. stein.

• speaking of a "Funk Box"...anyone have a decent quality mp3 of the song that shares the same name?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    is that what dick hyman used on the moog and me?

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    norman whitfield was a fan too...
    The Meters too, nah?

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts

Beat me to it.

I think your right on that one. They all sound the same. Beatsite used it, Money Mark. It shows up in a lot of places.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    timmy thomas too, no?

timmy couldn't have used the same rhythm box as sly, 'cause his sounded cruder and older, like it was the first or second one ever made.

personally, i always thought that sly's electronic drums came from an effects box, while timmy's was built right into the organ (i think he played one of those console-type organs with different rhythms supplied by different colored buttons...and before somebody cracks a sex joke, i mean the organ you PLAY, not the one you play WITH! )