Clifford Coulter Video b/w Talented Cats Who Didn't Get Large

Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
edited January 2011 in Strut Central
Hey,

I always thought Clifford Coulter was a talented mofo, as a multi-instrumentalist and singer, but he never truly broke through and got large. Here is a clip of him from 2000 soundchecking and in-concert at Kuumbwa Jazz Center. I thought some of you might enjoy it:

Also, here is some "grown folks music" from Clifford too (versatile, right?):

Who are some artists that you truly 'felt' who didn't get, in your opinion, the proper shine?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Comments

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    Freddie Robinson

I could listen to his playing for days. "Off the Cuff" is a big favorite. I could be wrong but he my impression is he never got the shine he deserved.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Lorraine Ellison, Howard Tate and Syl Johnson are always mentioned in these convos.
    And for good reason.

Billy Stewart was unable to build a handful of hits into a successful career. He was a great jazz singer whose unique style earned him some soul/pop hits. But it seems he is remembered mostly as a novelty act.

There are dozens. All the names that keep popping into my head now are early R&B artists who were not able to transition to rock/soul. Like Louis Jordan and all the cats Johnny Otis recorded on his Blues Spectrum label.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    John Manning - Tenor saxophone on Reuben Wilson's Blue Mode

Mike Lawrence - Trumpet on Joe Henderson's Power to the People

Virgil Jones - Trumpet on countless funky prestige joints

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Vernon Burch, J.R. Bailey, Ronnie McNeir and Jerry Peters - all 70's soulmen who released albums that pointed the way towards the later "modern soul" style. All of these acts were succesful in the biz to some behind-the-scenes degree, but never became household names.

• tabira said:
    John Manning - Tenor saxophone on Reuben Wilson's Blue Mode

Great call. All his solos on that album are killer. Played with attitude and nice climaxes.