MPSwing

TheKindCromangTheKindCromang 1,463 Posts
edited January 2011 in Strut Central
I used to have an MP 60II with the Roger Linn OS and then I changed over to an MPC 2000XL - but I swear the swing on the 60 was waaaaayyyy better. Anyone else have any opinions on this? Is it the magic touch of Roger Linn?

Comments

• I've heard that as well. Basically if you want that butter swing your choices are 60 & 3000. I have a 3000/. never used a 2000 or xl

• 60 & 3000 are both Roger Linn, right? Must be the Linn touch!

• djwaxondjwaxon 411 Posts
    Its commonly said that the Linn swing is what makes the 60 good, not sure if it's fallacy or not though.

Is it just swing on/off? or can you adjust the percentage like on the 1000/2500?

• well it may be that the 3000 and the 60 are 48 not 96 ppq (like the later models) in which case the swing would be fundamentally different (it wouldn't have as high a grid resolution).

generally its accepted that the grid works differently on those models, having used them all theres definitely something in it.

but also they sound better because the a to d convertors aren't the piece-of-shit ones akai started using once they began the 2000 range.

interestingly enough, the a to ds and filters are the same on the s3000 as the mpc3000, if you want to acheive that sound without the actual machine (or "sample through").

• heres the science part

Roger Linn:
    'In order to create a sixteenth-note swing or shuffle feel, you unevenly split the timing of an eighth-note, thereby delaying every second sixteenth-note by some time factor. The LM-1 percentages signify the interval between the first and second sixteenth-note and between the third and fourth sixteenth-note, and so on. If you want both notes to play perfectly even - no shuffle - you would select 50%, which means 50/50. If you make it one clock later, it would be 54/56, or 54%. Delaying it two clocks makes it 58/42, or 58% for the first half and 42% for the second half.'"

• if you had hand rhythm you wouldnt need swing.