KING OF DIGGIN! DJ MURO, Is this dude still the king?

innercitymusicinnercitymusic 53 Posts
edited January 2011 in Strut Central
I know this guy is insane in the record game, known for buying all sorts of albums worldwide and his $$$$. I love his tapes he used to put out and whatever else he used to do, but some cats weren't feeling him cause of the title. Anybody know where I can find some of his mixes? and is he relevent these days? Has the throne been taken over??????

Comments

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    innercitymusic said:
    I know this guy is insane in the record game, known for buying all sorts of albums worldwide and his $$$$. I love his tapes he used to put out and whatever else he used to do, but some cats weren't feeling him cause of the title. Anybody know where I can find some of his mixes? and is he relevent these days? Has the throne been taken over??????

People know Muro for his $$$$? Weird comment to make. Anyhows.

You can buy his mixes in stores in Japan, such as Disk Union, HMV or Tower Records. There's also online stores that stock them, and they pop up on eBay from time-to-time.

He is still relevant. EXTREMELY. If not anywhere else in the world, but in Japan.... that dude is the TOP DOG when it comes to the record game, mixtape game, and influencing "digging" trends and culture COUNTRY WIDE.

He is still a king in my books, always has been, always will be.

CASE CLOSED. THERE IS NOTHING TO SEE HERE. MOVE ALONG.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    i still rock his reggae breaks tape.

• innercitymusic said:

People know Muro for his $$$$? Weird comment to make. Anyhows.

I meant he spends serious money on records from what Ive heard. Back in the day dude was always on top of sh!t, every record show for the most part he was there and would make trips to the US to private dealers houses and storage, warehouses to get his picking on!

Yeah dudes been on top, still on top of his game in a serious way, ya'll don't even have a clue until you've seen his collection... Big_Chan know what's up... I ain't talkin' about just records or soul/funk/breaks either... he's like the Biz Markie collectro of Japan!

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Muro is one of my favourite DJs.
    His mixes are always on point and his record collection is DEEP.
    He just played in Tokyo with Krush. Would have loved to have been there,

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    kicks79 said:
    Muro is one of my favourite DJs.
    His mixes are always on point and his record collection is DEEP.
    He just played in Tokyo with Krush. Would have loved to have been there,

cosign
    what i really appreciate about his mixes is that even though he comes from the collectro/breaks back ground his mixes are always musically focused, in that even some one who has no interest in breaks/hip hop/samples etc could still listen and enjoy them, there is no where near enough dj's that do this these days

• There's actually been a change in his distro recently and you can now get the cds quite cheaply in the uk (and europe i think as well). theres absolutely tons of them (uk strutters check play.com and search muro.. tenner a pop!). Great for me cause i could never afford his tapes due to the import prices (they used to be 20 quid). I've been working my way through them, completely face melting. If anyone knows what that "J'Ouvert" is off "Tropicool Boogie V " please let me know. but yeah, still very relevant and very deep guy. And like DL says above, theres a musical and sequencing sensibility there that many djs lack.

Even on tapes like "funky rock" where he does johnny the fox, atomic rooster and all that timmy digalot 101 stuff, he also manages to fit in some obscure stuff that has you going WTF???

• Never heard a Muro tape. I dont doubt they're excellent but that whole King thing needs to be put to rest. Thanks.

John Gibbs made a song called "j'ouvert". Could it be that one?

Dress

• djwaxondjwaxon 411 Posts
    I'm sure I heard that he's a bit of a celebrity in the mainstream or something in Japan, is this the case? Like being on TV and such?

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    djwaxon said:
    I'm sure I heard that he's a bit of a celebrity in the mainstream or something in Japan, is this the case? Like being on TV and such?

Yes.

• dreskieboogie said:
    John Gibbs made a song called "j'ouvert". Could it be that one?

thats the one! thanks very very much.

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
    djsheep said:
    Ikebukuro record fair?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    queen of handbag shopping
    czar of fresh produce
    prince of pumping gas

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I would need to see a list.

dreskieboogie said:
    Never heard a Muro tape. I dont doubt they're excellent but that whole King thing needs to be put to rest. Thanks.

I guess you'll never understand, I highly doubt Muro-San regards himself as the "King". Japanese translation of the English language coupled with the respect they show hip-hop culture and their intentions.... well, sometimes the branding might come through funny. Hence "Engrish". I do doubt very much that Muro is sitting around thinking "oh yeah, I am the king, I rule the crates". He's quite humble on the contrary for what he has / done / achieved. This whole talking smack on the internet about him changing his "brand" that's been established for well over a decade needs to stop. Yes, that's right, King of Diggin' ain't his "TITLE" like ya'll see it. It's actually short for K.O.D.P. his crew (King Of Diggin Production) which stems out to producers, MCs and other hip-hop crew. When he says KING OF DIGGIN', he's shouting out his crew, not claiming his title... Why do I give a fuck? I do some of the English for their shirts and help out with designs, etc. If you feel that strongly about it, bring it up with him ya'll, but you'll see a very calm humble and respectful Muro, that's for sure!!

But for real, when his tapes were distro'd by Fat Beats as King of Diggin' Volume 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc. back in the day, no one said shit about it. D.I.T.C. were droppin' singles with him in the late 90s with no sweat... I don't think Lord Finesse is gunna be sayin' "KING OF DIGGIN'" on a 12" single willy nilly.... anyhows.

peace.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    how many cherries did he pop ?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Muro is the King so STFU.