In order what are your top three Bowie albums?

downtownrobbrowndowntownrobbrown 446 Posts
edited January 2011 in Strut Central
I did a search and saw there have been some Bowie threads before but none where we rank his albums.

What are you top three albums Bowie albums?

Comments

• Hunky Dory
    Man Who Sold the World
    Ziggy Stardust

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Rise and Fall
    Honky Dory
    Station to Station

• Station to Station is really growing on me!

• sabadabada said:
    Rise and Fall
    Hunky Dory

funky16corners said:
    Man Who Sold the World

if i need some bowie, rise and fall is my go to LP

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Space Oddity / Ziggy
    Hunky Dory / Diamond Dogs
    Low / Young Americans

I cheated.

• Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars- it was the first Bowie album I ever heard, so it holds a special place in my heart.
    Low- co-production with Brian Eno. Enough said.
    The Man Who Sold The World- I love "Running Gun Blues" to death.

• His Mick Ronson-era albums are massively overrated, in my opinion. Glam rock / Pub rock.

I would go for:

Low
    Station to Station (or maybe Heroes)
    Young Americans

• Ziggy
    Space Oddity
    Low

• funky16corners said:
    Hunky Dory
    Man Who Sold the World
    Ziggy Stardust

• sabadabada said:

Honky Dory

This made me chuckle for some reason.

1. Honky
    2. Ziggy
    3. Low

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Scary Monsters
    Ziggy
    Hunky Dory

• KaushikKaushik 320 Posts
    Not in order:
    Low
    Heroes
    Tie: Let's Dance / Tonight (I know, but I like how he balanced that cheesy Top 40 sound with his usual weirdness)

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Ziggy Stardust
    Aladdin Sane
    Hunky Dory

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    If I had to pick three...

Young Americans
    Low
    Station To Station

To be honest, I could perm any three from 1970 through to 1980 (with the exception of Pin-Ups), and I'd probably be happy with that. At a stretch, I might include Let's Dance, although my view of that is that it's got some great songs but isn't a great Bowie album. Conversely, an album like Young Americans is strong enough even to bear that over-cooked (over-coked?) cover of Across The Universe.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    I always thought that Suffragette City REALLY needed some pushing on the low end EQs.

• http://www.divshare.com/download/13781601-146

embedding wouldnt work, i tried like 8 times. wtf.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    neil_something said:
    His Mick Ronson-era albums are massively overrated, in my opinion. Glam rock / Pub rock.

so because they are glam rock/pub rock, they are overrated?

glam rock doesn't mean "shite"

on topic:

Hunky D
    Rise and Fall
    Man Who Sold the World

ALSO:

the only mention of "Pin Ups" is a Doc McCoy diss? I was tempted to put it in my top 3 but feel his original work has to ultimately win out - but I listen to Pin Ups as much as any of those top 3 I listed, I love that album.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    SoulOnIce said:
    neil_something said:
    His Mick Ronson-era albums are massively overrated, in my opinion. Glam rock / Pub rock.

so because they are glam rock/pub rock, they are overrated?

glam rock doesn't mean "shite"

on topic:

Hunky D
    Rise and Fall
    Man Who Sold the World

ALSO:

the only mention of "Pin Ups" is a Doc McCoy diss? I was tempted to put it in my top 3 but feel his original work has to ultimately win out - but I listen to Pin Ups as much as any of those top 3 I listed, I love that album.

Don't get me wrong - I like it, and I certainly didn't intend for it to seem as if I was dissing it. But it's literally the only album in that entire ten-year hot streak, from The Man Who Sold The World through to Scary Monsters, that isn't essential essential, if you know what I mean. A great selection of songs, some really good arrangements and an overall sense that the record was a lot of fun to make, but artistically it's Bowie taking a breather. That said, you can probably point to Pin-Ups as the record that instigated the trend for rock & roll performers doing cover albums, so even when he was putting his feet up, Bowie still managed to innovate in a way.

• I was going to say the same thing, SOI, about the glam/pub thing...the glam/pub thing was the greatest thng outside if zep/sabbath/purple that the UK gave to the world in the 70s IMO...Bowie/bolan/slade/queen/sweet...name a better lot of 70s UK bands...you can't.

• The_Hook_Up said:
    I was going to say the same thing, SOI, about the glam/pub thing...the glam/pub thing was the greatest thng outside if zep/sabbath/purple that the UK gave to the world in the 70s IMO...Bowie/bolan/slade/queen/sweet...name a better lot of 70s UK bands...you can't.

Yeah, I can't really deny the impact of or the general high regard with which that scene is held but, to my ears at least, it's not all that. I also find the name "glam rock" a complete misnomer since it produced some of the most stodgy, dour music or that decade.

Also, it seems unfair to lump Queen next to Slade, Sweet, Mudd etc. since they had much broader musical scope (and better tunes) than the others. And for me, Hunky Dory is the only early 70's album of Bowie's that I can really listen to.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    The album which introduced me to Bowie was "Earthling" in 1997 with the age of 16. This must be one of the albums I listened to the most in my teens. I loved his take on Drum& Bass and other styles of dancemusic of the day.
    Later on I discovered his earlier "classic" albums and was really disappointed as they sounded so differently. :oof:

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Hunky Dory
    Heroes
    Low