File Not Found: The Record Industry's Digital Storage Crisis

Comments

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    good article. that sucks about rerecording stuff. totally not the same and ruins the song.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    There's also a problem with late era tape masters.

Tom Verlaine told me that when Elektra wanted to issue one of his solo records on CD (I think it was Words From The Front) they found the tape totally unusable despite being stored in a climate controlled vault.

Apparently the tape stock was so shitty at that time that tapes from the 50's stored in closet would be in better shape.

When all is said in done vinyl is probably the most stable storage medium yet invented - good thing the Library Of Congress spent millions transferring everything to DAT!

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,461 Posts
    wow, interesting read, reminds me of this article from an old MIX mag that i have from the early 2000's about concerns of backing up tape masters and such and moving them unto digital from their analog counterparts....and then stuff like this happens where masters go missing or certains tracks are deadness and things dont work out as they thought they would...

the only way to retain the data is to have it all in physical form, not some mp3's or an HDD full of data, drives are physical the data on them on the other hand is a different story...

• This is from a recent issue of Rolling Stone with John Lennon on the cover. Enjoyed it over the holidays.