Paging Dante (or any other Louisiana music nerds) Paula/Jewel/Cotique-R

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited January 2011 in Strut Central
I'm assuming the Stan Lewis who founded Paula and Jewel from Shreveport is NOT the same Stan Lewis behind Cotique Records in NY (alongside George Goldner)?

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Two different guys ......Cotique Stan was from NY and started the Speed label that was later bought/taken by Morris Levy and he produced for Goldner on Tico/Roulette.

Jewel was started by Stan "The Record Man" Lewis in Shreveport, Louisiana. Lewis started his career selling newspapers at the age of 9 in Shreveport. He saved his money, and quite a few years later, in 1948, he bought five juke boxes and placed them in the neighborhoods around town. When a little store (8 feet by 12 feet) became available, he and his wife Paula bought it and started Stan's Record Shop, located at 728 Texas Street in Shreveport. Paula originally worked in the store while Stan worked other jobs to make ends meet.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Rock: You know what happened to Stan Lewis after he sold Speed to Levy? I've been trying to track his career from that point but the trail goes cold.

There are quite a few websites out there that claim the Cotique and Paula Stan Lewis is one in the same.....if that's true I have just been schooled.

• Probably not new info, but I think Stan Lewis was also behind the Mardi Gras label with Pancho Cristal.

Garcia_Vega said:
    Probably not new info, but I think Stan Lewis was also behind the Mardi Gras label with Pancho Cristal.

Word? I've never heard that before. You wouldn't happen to have a link, would you?

• mannybolone said:
    Garcia_Vega said:
    Probably not new info, but I think Stan Lewis was also behind the Mardi Gras label with Pancho Cristal.

Word? I've never heard that before. You wouldn't happen to have a link, would you?

I don't, but I do remember seeing something on the back of the Bobby Pauneto or Willy Rodriguez album. I could be wrong though.

I've spoken to quite a few people who recorded for and worked at Paula and this NY/Latin connection was never mentioned.

Here is a website about Paula and Stan Lewis and I would think those things would be mentioned if indeed it was him??

http://www.bsnpubs.com/gulfcoast/jewel-paulastory.html

Yeah: I'm highly doubtful it's the same Stan Lewis.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    It just seems way too unlikely. Plus, "Stan Lewis" is such a common-sounding name.