Piano Lessons In NYC?

behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
edited January 2011 in Strut Central
any one know any private teachers that are really good and somewhat affordable? I am looking online and a lot seem to be schools. but I am more interested in a private teacher. someone who knows it all but is not so much classically oriented...

Comments

• i have no clue but here are some ways you can expand your search and maybe reduce the cost:

in these parts an established piano teacher who is willing to come to your home will run a person minimum 40 per hour. if you are a beginner like me, then you could look into taking lessons from a student or recent grad from a respectable but not necessarily top jazz program who will charge half of that. if you go to a university or college that has music faculty and check the cork boards there, you're bound to find lots of students offering lessons at cut rates. obviously, buyer beware on that but there are some students who have been studying theory, etc all their lives.

what i have done, and would recommend if you can swing it, is find someone who is willing to trade records in exchange for lessons.