removing tape residue from vinyl?

crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
edited January 2011 in Strut Central
so i got this pretty rare 12" today in the 50 cent bin...Z-Factor "I Am The D.J." on Mitchball...considered to be the first Chicago house record although it's more electro to my ears.

Anyways...for some reason the previous owner taped a copy of Patti Labelle "New Attitude" on 45 onto the b-side...the sleeve it came in even had "New Attitude" stickered on it...WTF!!! I know hip hop dj's would tape soul and funk 45s onto 12"s back in the day to cutup but "New Attitude"??? Ugh...ok...so the 7" peeled off fairly easy but now i have this tape residue i'd love to get rid of...any idea on how this can be done? THANKS!

Comments

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    If the glue residue is still tacky, spray a little wd40 onto a soft cloth and gently wipe with the groove pattern. Avoid getting any wd40 on the labels as you possibly can. It works well removing stickers from laminated covers also. Hope this helps.

• Thanks for the tip! So I had some WD40 laying around the house and gave it a shot....I sprayed some on a paper towel and started giving it a good wipe down. At first it seemed like it wasn't working but after keeping at it all the tape came off!
    Thanks again!

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Glad I could help but a word of advice, never use a paper towel, they're usually abrasive and can actually scuff your records. Invest in some infant t-shirts or buy a bag of painter's rags. They're much easier on the records not leaving any marks.

• I would use wood glue method of cleaning it to get rid of the residue on the grooves.It really works.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    i would use lighter fluid, and try to remove any residue with a vpi

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    I've always used Resolve carpet cleaner on vinyl & covers. That shit is tough and doesn't do any damage. Just spray the bad spot and let it sit for a few minutes. It should wipe right off. My wife used diluted finger nail polish remover on a few records she cleaned for me in the past. Try one than the other. Good Luck!

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    sorry to hijack, but:

I bought a record in brazil recently where the inner plastic sleeve was stuck to it (some sort of moisture got in there)

peeling it off has left a thin silky surface on the vinyl (so thin you can't even really feel it) which shows up in strong light, and leaves a massive surface noise

can't remove it with my usual cleaning method?

arghh help me!

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    I'm not sure about your situation, Utters, but when it comes to sticky stuff like tape or the residue from price stickers, something oil-based usually works. WD-40 is a bit on the heavy duty side, but some baby oil or mineral oil on a cotton ball or soft cloth rubbed into the glue residue will gently break it down. Works for vinyl as well as other hard surfaces. Just make sure you clean the oiliness with some soapy water afterward so dust doesn't stick to it.

Resolve Carpet Cleaner is a bit extreme, Breez, but I take it that's your style.

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    hmmm, i put my collection into storage while i try to finish up, but if there were any strutters with some nasty records near me, we could do a little study with some organic solvents and definitively determine what works best.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Almond said:
    Resolve Carpet Cleaner is a bit extreme, Breez, but I take it that's your style.

My style?!? What's so extreme about it? Dudes are suggesting lighter fluid and you think Resolve is extreme? WTF?!?!

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Breez said:
    Almond said:

My style?!? What's so extreme about it? Dudes are suggesting lighter fluid and you think Resolve is extreme? WTF?!?!

There's nothing extreme about lighter fluid. It's by far the best thing to use, imo, and I've tried them all in the Academy vinyl lab.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    Breez said:
    Almond said:

There's nothing extreme about lighter fluid. It's by far the best thing to use, imo, and I've tried them all in the Academy vinyl lab.

Jus sayin', I don't think any of these suggestions are "extreme". If it works, use it. None of it was intended for record cleaning anyway. So technically it's all extreme.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Breez said:
    Almond said:

I was referring to your posts, as you come across as really energetic and excitable. Perhaps extreme was the wrong word. No offense was intended. Resolve is extreme to me because of the chemicals and smell. I live with someone who is very allergic to things that smell.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Almond said:
    Breez said:
    Almond said:

I was referring to your posts, as you come across as really energetic and excitable. Perhaps extreme was the wrong word. No offense was intended. Resolve is extreme to me because of the chemicals and smell. I live with someone who is very allergic to things that smell.

Almond: Thanks for clearing it up and helping me remove my foot from my mouth (pm related) ;-)

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    if your expert opinion includes baby oil, or carpet cleaner, you are probably not an expert.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Possum Tom said:
    if your expert opinion includes baby oil, or carpet cleaner, you are probably not an expert.

I just put whatever household product is closest to hand on that bitch and just buff it out. Nahmean? Massage oil. Pickle juice. Whatevs. Just buff that shit.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Spit works wonders.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    chocolate syrup

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    *double post

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Put more adhesive on it.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    fine grade sandpaper

works every single time

• i use peanut butter to take stickers and price tags off of glass and plastic.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Possum Tom said:

Just don't get them confused when you're done with them.