Teena Marie RIP

El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
edited December 2010 in Strut Central
Anyone have any news regarding Teena Marie I keep seeing on twitter people like Quest Love, Ron Isley etc stating that she passed today of a heart attack I hope this is not true.

wdasfm WDAS-FM
by questlove
We regret to inform you that Music Legend Teena Marie has died at the age of 54. Tributes and further details soon at http://WDASfm.com
40 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

TheRealRonIsley Ronald Isley
by questlove
Sorry guys, yes Teena Marie has passed away..
47 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

I need a little better confirmation than the above tweets....

Comments

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    I guess it is true Roland Martin from CNN/ TV1 just tweeted these messages:

rolandsmartin rolandsmartin
    by questlove
    Thanks to @kymwhitley for hooking me up with her. I'm now calling @teenamarie's manager right now
    13 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

rolandsmartin rolandsmartin
    by questlove
    Mike Gardner, the manager of @teenamarie, just told me that it is true: the legendary R&B singer has indeed died.
    12 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

CNN Breaking News
    cnnbrk CNN Breaking News
    by questlove
    Teena Marie, an award-winning singer-songwriter known for R&B, has died, her manager says #teenamarie http://on.cnn.com/fkQ2bl
    6 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Damn. She died so young.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    RIP, Lady T. Your musical contribution will not be forgotten.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Big_Stacks said:
    RIP, Lady T

I got "Square Biz" on repeat.....damn

• Damn I'm shocked and sad!

• The way I heard it first was from a friend's Facebook status, then another status popped up. I didn't want to believe it until I got some sort of confirmation, but now that the confirmation is coming in through other sources, it saddens me deeply. A true vocal talent whose personality could be felt through every chord. Rest well.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    AWW MAN. TOO YOUNG.

• One of my favorite songs by her

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    RIP to one of my all-time faves.

• the multi track remix mix i did for gilles peterson features a quick, raw, stripped down version of teena maries square biz, that i now will be finishing.
    if anybody who didnt get it, find the thread for the link.... im not the best at that stuff.
    teena was and still is a hero for me... her music helped shape my taste for sure... celebrate these artists while they are still alive.

• this really hurts. she was my favorite female vocalist. she could sing it all,jazz,r & b,opry. she was the biggest "cross-over" artist in r & b history. i never got to see her perform live. i have every record she ever made.

• So sad. RIP.

• sad, sad news.... RIP to one of the greatest... my favorite:

• huh... none of the videos will embed. anywho, lovergirl always takes me back...

and then it shows up....

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

So so talented. Its a shame. She shoulda been one of those 70 year old still doin her thang.

Still to this day the only White female artist to be in Black Radio's canon.

Her voice has Soul, it wasnt just some paint by number/pretty voice steez.

You will be missed.

• My Mom, who also sings on occasion, put it better than I could:

"Absolutely shocking and very sad loss of a brilliant talent in the way of Grand Dame Teena Marie. May she and Rick James be reunited making their great, unique music together in the heavens. I experienced countless joyful times to her music, could never replicate it as much as I tried. God bless Teena Marie and her family."

Her "return from hiatus" album La Do??a is GREAT. And on Cash Money, no less. Baby & Slim know what's up.

• Options
    Surprising and really sad. RIP.

• An iconic voice that will be truly missed..damn

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I'm stuck in the middle of the NY blizzard of 2010 trying to post to my site, but I don't know if it's gone through or not. So in lieu of internet connectivity, here's a piece: . She's one of my most favorite R&B singers of all time. But to actually just refer to her as just an R&B singer really doesn't do her justice. Through the string of pop hits and chart dominance of her time, it's often overlooked that she was one of the finest female singer / songwriters of a generation. And I don't know... I know there's always a lot of talk about her being a "white girl with a black voice" and, while I know what they're saying but also in a sense I think that marginalizes things. It wasn't a "white voice" or a "black voice" it was HER voice. Truly unique, and absolutely brilliant. And her voice rang out for so much more than just music, but also for the rights for artists to do what they do naturally - to create and to be not hindered by label politics.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Damn. So sad. She was one of my favorite singers. All the legends are leaving us.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    This has completely bummed me out. RIP to one of the greats.

• So sad. "Behind the Groove" was a mainstay at our jr. high dances.

R.I.P.

• First time I ever deejayed in front of real live people was at this house party in the early 80's... dudes let me get on at the end and play some slow songs. I put on Teena Marie's "Portugese Love" because I loved that shit, I thought it was a beautiful song. Unfortunately it is not the type of song you slow drag to, especially when the tempo picks up midway through! Everybody was pissed off at me except for one couple in the middle of the floor who were basically fucking with their clothes on. That was my first clue that deejaying at parties is really not for me. Anyway, I still love Portugese Love... probably my favorite out of many, many classics in the Lady T catalog (I liked some of the stuff she did late in her career with I think Cash Money too). REST IN POWER

This kinda hurts.

Im gonna post her live in Long Beach w/ Rick James.
    It was a bonus CD that came along w/ the Street Songs Re-Issue/Re-Master.

• Rest in Peace to one of the greatest voices of our time.
    You will be missed, Lady T.

• I've been listening to La Do??a all day. I hadn't listened to it in years. Man, how could
    I forget she had a song with Medusa and MC Lyte?! That's some straight up mindgarden material for me!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Something that occurred to me while reading this article - if Teena Marie had gone pop, would she have been the first example in music history of a white artist crossing over to a white audience?