Syl Johnson - what's the word

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited December 2010 in Strut Central
I just copped that Mythology box(X-mas gift certificate related). I dont own any of his shit.

Will my dick get hard?

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    You should check out his more talented twin brother SYL.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

hahaha - u got me dog

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    From his HI recordings:

"I Let A Good Girl Go"
    "Anyway The Wind Blows"
    "Wind Blow Her Back My Way"
    "I Hate I Walked Away"
    "Could I Be Fallin' In Love"
    "I Hear The Love Chimes"
    "We Did It"

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    batmon said:
    I dont own any of his shit.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Different Strokes dont count.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Honestly, there is plenty on the set that you will dig, and it's an awesome package, so I'm sure you won't "regret" the purchase - but if you are someone who was not already a fan of Syl and only just now starting to check him out, it could definitely be seen as overkill or at least more than you would really need. But shit, why not throw some $$$ to Numero and support things like this being made. That's one reason I copped it, just because it's so damn well done.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    You'll be glad you got it. Dude's catalog is crazy.

• Reynaldo said:
    From his HI recordings:

"I Let A Good Girl Go"
    "Anyway The Wind Blows"
    "Wind Blow Her Back My Way"
    "I Hate I Walked Away"
    "Could I Be Fallin' In Love"
    "I Hear The Love Chimes"
    "We Did It"

None of those recordings are on the box. It goes chronologically but ends right before he came to Hi. These are still good songs, though...

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    and he has a Complete Hi Recording Collections which picks off where this leaves

• I still see his Hi albums around cheap (at least in Chicago)

• hell, i even ride for his stuff in the early '80s, like "Ms. Fine Brown Frame"

(ducks)

joking!

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    I just got the box this weekend, and its EXCELLENT. Already listened to it twice. It's great to have all of the Federal R&B stuff all in the same place, and some unreleased stuff. I love how on the LPs they put stuff together to make lost albums, with artwork and all of that. I love how the 2nd "lost" one is on Trip records, since it is stuff on various labels.

• willie_fugal said:
    hell, i even ride for his stuff in the early '80s, like "Ms. Fine Brown Frame"

He also did some off-the-wall stuff for his own Shama label around the same time that I like...I'll cop to liking the gloriously cheesy "John, Muddy, Bob & Marvin," a reggae tribute to four music legends who had recently passed on...