Windows Media Player for OS X

drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
I'll be damned...my Windows Media Player crapped out on me the other day on OS X. I tried deleting the program and re-installing, but all I get is a bouncing icon in the dock that eventually stops w/o playing video and then "Application Not Responding." Also, I heard Windows wasn't going to be updating the utility for Apple platforms and that any new WMV content would no long be compatible - does that mean the end?

Anybody else having this problem?

Are there any Apple-friendly alternatives to playing .wmvs?

Comments

• Hi A,

not an apple user myself, but i suggest you started by removing all the media player files including the ones in the registry (for which you'll need a registry cleaning app like spybot).
    as for compatible players- there are hundreds of options. check download.com or mac users on the strut...

Peace,

W

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts
    Try uninstalling using the newest installer app for Windows media player, then installing. Otherwise, I'd suggest going through the usual rungs of repairing disk permissions w/ disk utility, restarting, and re-installing. Fucking Windows media....shit is UGLY.

nah, forget that - try this: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/26423
    (a WMV player for mac, that plays WMVs via quicktime...)

let me know if you like it - I HATE WMVs!

also, you should really all be using VLC (for almost all your video media)

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Thanks for the suggestions, I ended up deleting everything Windows Media Player related and reinstalling. Finally worked.

What's this VLC like, asparagus? A single app that plays most all files? What platform are you running in on? Any reason besides consolidation why I should consider making the switch?

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I HATE WMVs!

also, you should really all be using VLC (for almost all your video media)

What do ya'll like about it so much? I'd rather not deal with yet another media player, but I can be convinced! Does it do full-screen?

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts
    What do ya'll like about it so much? I'd rather not deal with yet another media player, but I can be convinced! Does it do full-screen?

yeah - it does all that stuff, its open source, runs on all platforms, supports MANY formats and codecs (far more than quicktime player)- meaning, on a Mac, it will play any avi, quicktime, dvd or other format you toss at it (except wmv)...

yeah - it does all that stuff, its open source, runs on all platforms, supports MANY formats and codecs (far more than quicktime player)- meaning, on a Mac, it will play any avi, quicktime, dvd or other format you toss at it (except wmv)...

Is that where the distinction between the WVM 1/2 and WVM 3 comes in?

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/features.html

I've had no problems with Quicktime and I rather like the latest version that came out. But I'm curious and will give this open source thing a run!

Thanks.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    vlc or mplayer, both are good. Some files will play better on one or the other....

some wmv support available for both, not all wmv will play though.

wmp is tres lame.....don't use it unless it's absolutely necessary.