best down parka out there

davidwingatedavidwingate 748 Posts
edited December 2010 in Strut Central
So my bullshit old school north face jacket is failing me bad so far this winter. I am wondering what is the best down parka out there. I need it to be definitely waterproof, at least 700 fill, have a hood, and drawstring at the hem? any suggestions?

amir

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah man I need a new one too... I love North Face though I'm not gonna lie. But also I'm a big fan of Canada Goose. You should peep the Yukon Bomber it's really nice. Been thinking about copping this for a minute.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Canadians have given up on their North face and gone with this instead.

But beware.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/Fake+coats+causing+turbulence+high+flying+Canada+Goose/3982227/story.html

• yeah i used to be a fan of north face but they kinda fell off to me. also i used to have a canadian goose down. i bought it back in 2002 for only $175 at hilton tent city in boston...boston heads know the deal. however, while i was on tour with kon in feb of this year in denmark someone stole my jacket at the venue we were playing at (i can hear kon still laughing now). anyway, i froze my ass off. since then i have had to rock my 16 year old north face and it gets a super fail! the canadian goose you mentioned is great except for one thing: I am tall and the waistline on that thing is too fucking high. Hence , I would freeze to death with that jacket!

amir

• what about woolrich down parkas? are they any good?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    They have quite a few long options

http://www.google.ca/images?q=Canada+Goose+coat

• ahhhh this link is about canada not down parkas....while I like canada i wanna get a jacket that's all

• have you peeped the triple fat goose fall line?

kinda bizzare-o.

http://www.triplefatgoose.com/

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    http://nymag.com/fashion/fashionables/70045/

saw this NY mag today at work

Ignore

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    This is a season or two old now, and I picked mine up in a sale, but WeSC's Christos parka is easily the warmest down jacket I've ever owned, and is worth copping if you can still find it anywhere. Not sure about the fill, but I think it meets your spec otherwise. The UK is getting hit early with the winter weather this year, and rocking this is like walking around in a blanket.

Also, Burton snowboarder's thermals FTW. :real_headz:

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    I got tired of the cheap North Face jackets made overseas. Found a quality down company stateside and have been happy so far:

www.crescentdownworks.com

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    doesn't Nate Bizzo work at North Face these days?

trade him a raer & he'll hook you up

• i got a EMS snowboard coat that hasnt let me down at all...it doesnt dip below the hips tho.
    it has a fly little attached handkerchief to wipe your snowboard goggles, altho that isnt really an issue for me

• yeah i really llike my Nothface jackets they havent failed me yet, although the mother in law just moved back from YellowKnife after being there for 5 yrs or so and she states that the Canada Goose jackets are unf**kwithable and are a must, hopefully she took my hints and got me one for christmas.

• double.

• THIS BITCH HAS KEPT ME TOASTY AS FUSK FOR THE LAST TWO FRIGID CANADIAN WINTERS.

DON'T SLEEP.

• Canada Goose all the way, but only from a supplier listed on their website. I got one this year and its the best winter jacket i have ever owned, i love it. The only problem is i can only wear a t-shirt underneath as it's so warm, and it's been between 0 and -6

fleece lined double pockets are so nice

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Oh yeah man you told me that story about your shit getting robbed by Euroman. So fucking hilarious / sad hahah...

• yeah, i could laugh back then but now this cold cutting my ass to pieces! i think i am going to fusk with this:

http://hiltonstentcity.com/library/canada_goose-heliarctic.htm

although, the price on this shite is freakin high!

• davidwingate said:
    yeah, i could laugh back then but now this cold cutting my ass to pieces! i think i am going to fusk with this:

http://hiltonstentcity.com/library/canada_goose-heliarctic.htm

although, the price on this shite is freakin high!

honestly, the only winter jacket you'll ever need to buy again. ever.

and i'd point out that this site is sold out of all sizes but medium. hope you dont have that winter weight on.

• If you're a bit of a skinnier dude, the Japanese Canada Goose models are worth checking out (if you can find them).

Helly Hansen is good. Mine keeps me warm.

Moncler is good too, but may be on the pricier side.

Nigel Cabourn is also a bit expensive, but the Everest jacket supposedly destroys almost everything else out there.

I guess there's also Stone Island as well, some of which looks pretty nice, and is also good on the technical front.

Uh, yeah, Canada Goose is probably the GOAT though.

• yeah, the nigel cabourn is not my style . they killed it for me with white string ties in the front and 1599 pounds ($2500) price tag! also the canadian goose on that site has black in xl still so i think i am going back to the canadian again! the one i had from 2002 never disappointed at all! now i gotta figure out my winter boot situation...

• no spiewak love?

• i rock the full length goosey in black.

it has the interior waist strap to keep the cold gusts from travelling up through the bottom of the jacket.
    :necessary:

and i'm 6' 3" and it fits a proper length for us tall, skinny yoots.

• i am actually the same height 6'3 as well as being skinny too. they say the heli artic parka fits a lil snug is that true?

• davidwingate said:
    i am actually the same height 6'3 as well as being skinny too. they say the heli artic parka fits a lil snug is that true?

true indeed. i fill it up at 6'3", 195lbs...... but i dig it like that.

• damn i am skinner than u lol! thx bruv!

amir

• i've already got that hibernation weight on ....... it's cold up here in the north.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    THIS BITCH HAS KEPT ME TOASTY AS FUSK FOR THE LAST TWO FRIGID CANADIAN WINTERS.

DON'T SLEEP.

Oooh, if I lived somewhere cold enough, I would so be getting one of these. Lots of pockets for scientific instruments. "Where's my pluviometer? Oh yeah, right here." Seriously, as a big fan of John Carpenter's The Thing, this is hitting my sweet spot.

• up north? oh you a canuck?