thank god for classic rock radio..

Secret_ChimpSecret_Chimp 915 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
Not just because it's pretty much the only listenable msuic programming on the radio here in DC, but because every now and then you hear a track you haven't heard in god knows how many years and re-realize just how dope it really is.Example: I Keep Forgetting - Michael McDonald This is my new favorite song.

Comments

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I never listen to the radio but on an off chance I am and hear 96 tears or crimson and clover, shit makes my day. Hell, even Steve Miller "the joker".

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    19th Nervous Breakdown had the fam doing interpretive dancing in the old Camry.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    Not just because it's pretty much the only listenable msuic programming on the radio here in DC, but because every now and then you hear a track you haven't heard in god knows how many years and re-realize just how dope it really is.

Example: I Keep Forgetting - Michael McDonald

This is my new favorite song.

which dc station is classic rock ?
    i thought there was soft rock or oldies,
    format changes like the weather on dc radio

• Not just because it's pretty much the only listenable msuic programming on the radio here in DC, but because every now and then you hear a track you haven't heard in god knows how many years and re-realize just how dope it really is.

Example: I Keep Forgetting - Michael McDonald

This is my new favorite song.

which dc station is classic rock ?
    i thought there was soft rock or oldies,
    format changes like the weather on dc radio

• Not just because it's pretty much the only listenable msuic programming on the radio here in DC

no mention of WPFW 89.3?

• WPFW is the shit if you catch them on a good night. Is WRNR still around? There is a closer station that blocks their signal here(103.1), but they used to play a wide variety of good stuff.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    yo have you guys heard the jazz guy on Monday nights (maybe Tuesday?) on the black community radio? He is on from 7 to 9 and is really into 'swing' music and his catch phrase at the end of the show is something like: '... and lets swing on out of here'.

Anyway, I catch him playing prime year CTI, Prestige, Kudo, and Blue Note all of the time. And he is also open to requests. Call 'em up, he's really dude.

• Yeah, there are so many great programs on WPFW. The latin flavor is always top notch 5 nights a week, Rhythms of the world reggae edition with J-Bone is the heat too, the Decipher hip hop show is always great to listen to 5 nights a week from 11PM till 12AM. The Decipher Thursday night edition with the Soul Controllers has got to be my favorite of the 5 nights of hip hop that they do. DJ Book is probably in my mind one of DC's best DJ's. dude has got some real skill, style and finesse.

Also, there used to be a daytime DJ named Cleveland which was my favorite programmer of WPFW because he would mix blunted acid jazz beats with some pretty nice funk and neo-soul into his mix. Havn't heard about dude in a while, though.

can't forget democracy now with Amy Goodman either. hollur!

big ups to WPFW!

oh yes, 94.7 is deinitely dope too.

• Yeah, there are so many great programs on WPFW. The latin flavor is always top notch 5 nights a week, Rhythms of the world reggae edition with J-Bone is the heat too, the Decipher hip hop show is always great to listen to 5 nights a week from 11PM till 12AM. The Decipher Thursday night edition with the Soul Controllers has got to be my favorite of the 5 nights of hip hop that they do. DJ Book is probably in my mind one of DC's best DJ's. dude has got some real skill, style and finesse.

Also, there used to be a daytime DJ named Cleveland which was my favorite programmer of WPFW because he would mix blunted acid jazz beats with some pretty nice funk and neo-soul into his mix. Havn't heard about dude in a while, though.

can't forget democracy now with Amy Goodman either. hollur!

big ups to WPFW!

oh yes, 94.7 is deinitely dope too.

how can you forget Jammes Funk Saturday mornings.

This BJ AND I'M GOING DOWN TO BARRY FARMS TO PICK UP MY BROTHER JIMMY AND THEN WE HEADING OVER TO SOUTHERN AVE TO PICK UP MY GIRL BIG SHIRL. GET ON THE TRAIN.

• WPFW is the shit if you catch them on a good night.

Very true, but I'm talking about during the day, which is when I mostly listen to the radio (while I'm driving around). During the day they got some really bad talk radio programs (America Now excepted) and some music that I'm really not feelin at all. Except for Friday afternoons when that Cleveland dude is on. He plays some good shit.

WPFW's definitely the best station in town. But overall I'd say the radio situation here in DC is miserable. There used to be that jazz station on 90.1, but now that's C-SPAN. So sad.

I gotta say though that some of those DJs on there talk waaaay too much, especially while they're playing the music. They seem to love to talk over the music with some shit that I can't imagine anybody wants to hear. Shout outs are cool and all, but damn. Am I alone here?

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I wonder what's up with the programing decisions on some of these classic & oldies stations: certain tunes will reappear with increased frequency - last week I heard the Soul Survivors 'Expressway to Your Heart' like 3 times on different stations.

is there focus group research that tells PDs "increase plays of 'Hang on Sloopy'"?

---

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I wonder what's up with the programing decisions on some of these classic & oldies stations: certain tunes will reappear with increased frequency - last week I heard the Soul Survivors 'Expressway to Your Heart' like 3 times on different stations.

is there focus group research that tells PDs "increase plays of 'Hang on Sloopy'"?

---

If it's tied to Clear Channel or any other big corporations, sometimes it has to do with commercial placement, or a tie-in to a movie. I wish it was a bit more random, where they would play something a bit out of the ordinary, and not just the "Lost 45". The music that comes from Clear Channel stations are sourced in Colorado, with playlists and tracks distributed to every channel in that manner. There is an established playlist for a two week period, and it can either be run automated, or if someone is there, they can rearrange songs and commercial time. But it will always be the same songs.

When I did that radio contest a few years ago, I brought CD's but they told me it's not needed, everything was there. I wanted to play some music I brought in, but it had to be screened beforehand. Yes, it was a Top 40 station so there was no chance of me playing any megamixes of any kind. If I didn't want to play Nelly, I could jump right to Sean Paul, Alicia Keys, or whomever.

But as far as how a song like "Hang On Sloopy" can be heard 8 times in a day while it may be every two months you hear Betty Wright, I'm sure it's a bit of politics going on, which is why there have been a few articles concerning payola and pay-to-play schemes in the last few weeks, and regulations on how to stop that.

I think of that hearing that Don Henley was a part of a few years ago, where he talked about someone like him finding it hard to get his new music on the radio, and yet he's established, and wondered how a new artist can get exposure when the idea of "local radio" has almost been wiped out. College radio still makes an impact, but look at all the issues that went through around 2000/2001 when college/university stations wanted to stream their broadcasts. Most stations decided to drop their streams altogether, while others said "fuck it, we're going to give the people what they want".

But pay attention the next time McDonald's or Burger King puts a new song in rotation. Within a week, you will hear that song over and over. It's less of a reminder of how good the song is, but a way to tell you that you deserve a break today. Yeah, you're lovin' it.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I gotta say though that some of those DJs on there talk waaaay too much, especially while they're playing the music. They seem to love to talk over the music with some shit that I can't imagine anybody wants to hear. Shout outs are cool and all, but damn. Am I alone here?

Well, I respectfully disagree. I don't know anything about the station you're discussing, but I love when those chitlin'-circuit blues DJ's talk over the record. Not just the shoutouts and dedications, but when they "dialogue" with whatever song's playing - say, Little Milton might sing "that's why I'm walkin' the back streets & crying," and the DJ might go "just sing to her, she might come back!" Arkansas Red at WHPK and Pervis Spann at WVON (both in Chicago) have made the talkover a work of art, damn near.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

---

From what I understand, I think you're right. Oldies radio is all about the memories, not the music. Some baby-boomer audiences get itchy hearing songs they don't know or remember.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Well, I respectfully disagree. I don't know anything about the station you're discussing, but I love when those chitlin'-circuit blues DJ's talk over the record. Not just the shoutouts and dedications, but when they "dialogue" with whatever song's playing - say, Little Milton might sing "that's why I'm walkin' the back streets & crying," and the DJ might go "just sing to her, she might come back!" Arkansas Red at WHPK and Pervis Spann at WVON (both in Chicago) have made the talkover a work of art, damn near.

A lot of that was a huge influence in the 50's and 60's for the DJ's in Jamaica, who would also talk and answer back to their records. That would work its way in the sound systems, and in time would find it transformed into something new, with a bit of help from Kool Herc.

• I gotta say though that some of those DJs on there talk waaaay too much, especially while they're playing the music. They seem to love to talk over the music with some shit that I can't imagine anybody wants to hear. Shout outs are cool and all, but damn. Am I alone here?

There's definitely some good talkovers going on on this station, especially in the early mornings on the weekends when the older dudes rap along with the music.. but a lot of these djs are just talking to hear themselves. And it's fucking annoying. Especially when they cut the track out completely to say something stupid. But maybe this only bothers me.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    a few months ago a classic rock station here(98FM) was playing entire albums, it was dope...a commercial, middle of the dial sation playing entire Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Jimi Hendrix albums..unheard of in 2005. Unfortunately they stopped that a few months ago, but they still get pretty deep AOR wise, not playing obvious singles and playing random album cuts

• messing with my new MP3 player while I was working on music, I started messing with it's record function and I went ahead and recorded the last 15 minutes of Rhythms of the world (he was playing dope stuff from Senegal) and then recorded some of the hip hop Decipher Friday night edition (starts at 18 minutes and 30 seconds).

If you want to listen to this chumpy you can dload it here: Some pretty nice stuff.

WPFW Evening Broadcast 8/12/05

peas.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    I almost forgot about 100.3, yeah I know, they are an 'oldies' station but they come through...

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    classic rock radio sucks. Michael mcdonald? Thats like some 80's am gold type shit. that song is fire, but Id still rather listen to regulate.

G funk era.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Id still rather listen to regulate.

G funk era.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    At first I read the headline on
    that magazine as "Anticon is a Witch!"[/b]