I know we've already discussed this......

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited December 2010 in Strut Central
....but is how long will this style last?

http://newyork.timeout.com/shopping-style/629407/most-stylish-new-yorkers-elijah-???kid-love???-pryor

I just saw t cats rockin this costume, and I thought...dudes are still doin this?
Then a Timeout arrived at work and i see that article.

I never see this shit Uptown. Never.

Is this going to be like Suburban Punk Costume?

I see some cats are coppin some real "vintage" shit., but got the eras all mixed together like 86 and 90 are the same and shit.

Blah blah blah.

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    He carries a Gameboy around as a matter of style?

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    hey, ya gotta commend the kid for really sticking to it. must have been some bet he lost.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Until someone comes up with a female-friendly version or even a gender neutral one - I have two words for this look - boner killer.

• i'd say it'll be around a couple more years. the early 90s are just getting popular for the first time since the early 90s.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    batmon said:
    costume

good description

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    bassie said:
    Until someone comes up with a female-friendly version or even a gender neutral one - I have two words for this look - boner killer.

Vagina dryer.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I dress like that.
    Not to be stylish but because I just find the clothes and jewelry and accessories and hair cuts to be more comfortable and natural.
    I'm not into to trends, I've been dressing like that since '78.

DB_Cooper said:
    bassie said:

Vagina dryer.

No.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Weak at the sleeves.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    It hasn't reached the 3 finger rings or any type of "pride" neckwear but here in B-More I see at least 5 dudes a day rockin' fades of all types. No matter what era we're in there's always going to be these clowns sporting these trends that burned out before said clown was even born. I say sit back and enjoy the entertainment they provide us by laughing as loud as possible when ever you see them.

This is kind of a bit left of the topic but I just have to mention it.
    I remember back in the day there was this dude named Fruity that hung out at Golden Ring mall, here in B-More, and this dude dressed like Flava Flav from head to toe. He rocked the enormous clocks, top hats, Batman glasses, colorful muscle dude pants (I can't remember what those awful pants are called), all that. And he was a grown ass man about 6 ft 2", 230 lbs. I mean this cat rocked that shit from like 1990-99. Not just one outfit either, this dude must've had Flava's identical wardrobe. That shit was hilarious.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    He cannot beat the dude we saw at uniqlo this weekend in Manhattan.

Dude was wearing the bottom part of a mannequin on his head like a hat...

The whole Men's level became completely quiet as people were in a trance. The homie Kaewonder tried to take a pic before he was gone forever.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    The first time i saw it live was w/ that Retro Crew/Cool Kids??? whatever from Brooklyn at the 2006 VH1 awards show. They stood out. Props for that. Actually I did see this Uptown. It was a less name-brand version, but the Blonde Gumby was "in full effect".

I like it better than the adidas suit/Cazals/Kangol motif that's been done to death.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    DOR said:

The whole Men's level became completely quiet as people were in a trance. The homie Kaewonder tired to take a pic before he was gone forever.

This brings back another trend, "Things that make you go, Hmmmm.."

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    "adidas suit/Cazals/Kangol motif "

See this look for me has become the classic, defining Hip Hop look.
    It is to HipHop what leather pants or a "leather jacket and jeans" are to RockNRoll.

The blonde Gumby and acidwash Z Cavs look is NOT classic.

mrmatthew said:
    "adidas suit/Cazals/Kangol motif "

See this look for me has become the classic, defining Hip Hop look.

D.E.L.E.T.E

• i feel this style only because it is the era that um from, still rockin my shelltoes daily and Adidas suits when it isnt freezing cold here, and hell yeah every so often i bust out my crosscolors jackets, i dont do it cause its trendy i do it because i really dont know any better tbh..

i friggin spent 2 hrs just braiding the laces in my kicks, just like i said in the the other thread...whats going around comes back around again...grand puba would would be proud, but mention Fat Boys to any of these cats and they'll be all like WHO?

at least their not all Kwame with the polkadots and shit...lol

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    bassie said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    bassie said:

Vagina dryer.

No.

Too subtle?

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    Breez said:
    colorful muscle dude pants (I can't remember what those awful pants are called)

THEY ARE CALLED ZUBAZ AND MY BROTHER MADE HIS OWN.

DOR said:

The whole Men's level became completely quiet as people were in a trance. The homie Kaewonder tired to take a pic before he was gone forever.

My life has forever changed with this pic.

and, if we must have a female "boner killer" (further reinforcing societal gender/junkroles--comeonsrsly soulstrut), howbout "eraser nipple eraser?"

DOR said:

does it say anything that the little guy's fake leg antler pieces are longer than his own?

i want to see him do cartwheels like this

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    bassie said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    bassie said:

Vagina dryer.

No.

Yuk.

DB_Cooper said:
    bassie said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    bassie said:

Vagina dryer.

No.

Too subtle?

Clumsy.

I like to say panty melter when something is particularly excellent...panty freezer? Nah.
    I know deal breaker is out there, but this is just not that deep...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    DOR said:

NOT FEELING HIS KNEES

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    The 90s revival is in effect.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    My question was how dude got through the door or on the subway...

• batmon said:
    ....but is how long will this style last?

http://newyork.timeout.com/shopping-style/629407/most-stylish-new-yorkers-elijah-???kid-love???-pryor

I just saw t cats rockin this costume, and I thought...dudes are still doin this?
    Then a Timeout arrived at work and i see that article.

I never see this shit Uptown. Never.

Is this going to be like Suburban Punk Costume?

I see some cats are coppin some real "vintage" shit., but got the eras all mixed together like 86 and 90 are the same and shit.

Blah blah blah.

your man looks foolish.

• djkingotto said:
    i'd say it'll be around a couple more years. the early 90s are just getting popular for the first time since the early 90s.

My 10 year old niece said she wants me to airbrush a denim jacket (with her name) for Christmas. Literally 2 days later, an old employee of mine - totally unrelated to my family - asked me if I would airbrush a denim jacket "90's style" for her 12 year old son. I am not mad at the return of this trend.

Herm said:
    djkingotto said:
    i'd say it'll be around a couple more years. the early 90s are just getting popular for the first time since the early 90s.

My 10 year old niece said she wants me to airbrush a denim jacket (with her name) for Christmas. Literally 2 days later, an old employee of mine - totally unrelated to my family - asked me if I would airbrush a denim jacket "90's style" for her 12 year old son. I am not mad at the return of this trend.

Airbrushing is 90's, but painting the rear of a Lee/Levis Jacket is 80's.
    It was actually quite elaborate way before the airbush came into vogue.

• batmon said:
    Herm said:
    djkingotto said:

Airbrushing is 90's, but painting the rear of a Lee/Levis Jacket is 80's.
    It was actually quite elaborate way before the airbush came into vogue.

Yes, I know that. That is why I said

airbrush a denim jacket "90's style"

And not

Rusto and paint pen a denim jacket "80's style."

• Woimsah said:
    hey, ya gotta commend the kid for really sticking to it. must have been some bet he lost.

he is like a real life, urban version of tom hanks in BIG.