2010, Best of

OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
edited December 2010 in Strut Central
Seeing as it's now December, maybe it is time to start a round up of the year.

Favorite Albums / Releases / Mixtapes etc. Film / Documentary / Tv show... book, comic, artwork, sandwich, memorable fart??

Best thrift find, boutique purchase or ebay bargain.

Biggest disappointment in any of the above.

Best & Worst things about 2010, standout people, performers, artist whatever.

Comments

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Kanye West: all of the above.

Can we just agree that he'll be near the top and bottom of many of these lists for people and use the mention above to close that area for this thread? If so I'll get onto my list.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    WAIT! .... ok.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    God it's sad that I actually look forward to these. Some years at least. Anyway, I'm getting this poast in early to-be-edited as things come to me.

Albums:
    Four Tet There Is A Love In You (Domino)
    Caribou Swim (City Slang)

Singles:
    Falty DL Endeavour & Phreqaflex (Planet Mu)
    Deadboy Cash Antics Vol.1 (Well Rounded)
    Bonobo Eyes Down (Ninja Tune)
    Mim Suleiman Nyuli/Dub (Running Back)
    DJ Asparagus Wan' Cha (GAMM)
    Dam Funk vs Biggie Hood Pass/Going Back To Cali Kon's mashup (friggin' unreleased goddamit - please press up some white labels)

Re-Issue Singles:
    Little John What You Want To Be (Dug Out)

DJ Mix:
    J.Rocc For Supreme Take 2 (megaupload)

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Junior said:
    Kanye West: all of the above.

Can we just agree that he'll be near the top and bottom of many of these lists for people and use the mention above to close that area for this thread? If so I'll get onto my list.
    I was going to add a no Kayne talk caveat, but thought that might be counterproductive.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    Richard Earnshaw "In Time" and JD73 "Pure Gold".

My jazz-releases plate wobbled off the stick this year.

Raas plate dem.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Biggest unexpected treat of the year for me music wise would have to be the arrival of the Odd Future gang onto the scene. Quality and Quantity in abundance.

It's actually been a pretty great year for rap [disclaimer before derailing thread on first page]for my tastes anyway. [/disclaimer]

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    I have not encountered the Odd Future product because of the hype surrounding it. Also, Odd Future themselves appear to be more surprised than anyone by their own success...

Please to rep what is rilly rill.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I'm pretty sure Tyler, The Creator "Bastard" will appear in quite a few peoples list, as it's a stand out.

..please to not derail thread further doe.

• Favorite Musical Releases: Big KRIT, Flackaveli, Odd Future Wolf Gang, Kanye, Black Angels, Caribou
    TV/Movies: Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, Eastbound And Down, Inception, Scott Pilgrim, Winter's Bone (HELL YES), and Un Prophete (I only saw it this year)

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    i was so high when i wrote this

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    ALBUM OF THE YEAR:

REISSUE OF THE YEAR:

CHEAP FINDS OF THE YEAR:

BALLOUT OF THE YEAR:

• I forgot one
    by far my favorite Album this year

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Major Dig of the year.
    Wayne WcGhie & the Sounds of Joy LP

eBay Bargain of the year.

Andy Angel LP (BIN $4.99. Caught it 2 mins after the dude posted it.)

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Balzing Downtepmo

Dubstep

Northern Soul

Drum N Bass

Funk/Soul

Club shit

Jazz:

Brzzvll - "Outro" (no youtube clip)

Pop

etc. etc.

Kindly,
    parallax

• Best Thrift Store Find of 2010 (and possibly ever) for me :

Purchased at Saddleback Thrift in Irvine for 50 cents

Sold to a store in Amsterdam for 1,400 dollars

Trip for two to Paris - Priceless!

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    TheKindCromang said:

So crazy. I used to live about 10 miles from that place & I don't think I ever found anything decent. Of all the places for a Damon to turn up. Does the big Salvi down the street from there ever get anything anymore? I feel like I'm looking through the same crud every time I'm in town visiting family the last few years.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    MUSIC

Kanye - TDTF
    Tyler, the Creator - Bastard
    Ariel Pink - Before today
    Toro Y Moi - Causers of This

Random highlights: Ramadanman, James Blake, Pantha Du Prince, Lil B, Earl Sweatshirt, Kons' edits, Shangaan electro, Million Young, Memoryhouse.

FILMS

Carlos
    The Social Network - I don't think it's as great as some make it out to be, but it's still very good.
    Toy Story 3
    Four Lions
    Machete
    The Arbor
    Enter the Void

DOCUMENTARTIES

Restrepo - best doc I've seen about Afganistan, maybe best war doc in recent years.
    Inside Job
    Mugabe and the White African

TELEVISUALS

Red Riding Trilogy - originally aired last year, but I caught the dvd this.
    Mad Men Season 4
    Boardwalk Empire
    Spartacus blood and sand - dumb fun

• hcrink said:
    TheKindCromang said:

So crazy. I used to live about 10 miles from that place & I don't think I ever found anything decent. Of all the places for a Damon to turn up. Does the big Salvi down the street from there ever get anything anymore? I feel like I'm looking through the same crud every time I'm in town visiting family the last few years.

Yeh, I work right by the big three - Salvo, Saddleback, and Goodwill - so I hit them up every day on lunch break. The turnover is really slow, so I do end up seeing a lot of the same things over and over. But then... someone's entire collection comes in, everything is in great shape and...BAM! Song of a Gypsy!

Actually, this guy's collection was funny because it wasn't all private press psych records. Seems like he was into buying International Folk records. I think the Damon pick was a fluke. He was probably bummed when he put it on because it looked like it had never been played. I also got two Haitian records out of his collection. All in all - a great day in 2010!