Relatively unknown bands who influenced decades of music to follow.

DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
edited December 2010 in Strut Central
Just finished having this convo with a friend. While not completely unknown to the majority of the general music audience (Besides in parts of Europe and Indonesia), The Tielman Brothers are one band that always comes to mind.

While I've been aware of their music for a bit, watching a video of them on youtube last week I was blown away with not just the music from that moment in time, but their style. Throughout the video you can see how IMO they were ahead of their time.

Comments

• Options
    Seems like they owe a lot to Chuck Berry. Nice clip, but what makes you think they influenced anyone?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Well, I'm not sure many would try to argue Chuck and his musical influence through history. Just merely looking to start a conversation on bands (Not just the one I started with) that seem to have relatively unknown status to the average music fan.

I mean, watching that video I see possible early influences on everything from Rock n rock to punk and beyond. With the greatest stand out being the playing of the guitar behind the head/body (Which I may be totally wrong, before anyone was really doing it). The using of other body part (Feet/teeth). The drop to the floor by the double bass player (Around the 5 min. mark) with the lead guitar plays on top with the guitar behind him, etc.

Anyways, I'm not really trying to argue they influenced anyone in particular. Just looking for possible other bands who may have.

• I don't know if I'm right or not, but weren't the Tielman Brothers from the Netherlands?! But besides that, I concur that Chuck Berry and Little Richard are the forefathers in the style and sound of rock and roll. But from that youtube clip, I can see where artists AFTER the Tielman Brothers could be influenced. All of the members of the band were showmen. From the drummer walking around the drum set for his solo to the bassist just dancing with the bass to the drummer drumming on the guitar. The showmanship ALONE could be traced to Jimi Hendrix and Jimmy Page and a lot of other guitarists in rock. The drummer could have been the influence to Keith Moon and a lot of other eccentric drummers.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Omar

• Options
    incompletejigsaw said:
    The showmanship ALONE could be traced to Jimi Hendrix and Jimmy Page and a lot of other guitarists in rock. The drummer could have been the influence to Keith Moon and a lot of other eccentric drummers.

Given the complete lack of evidence that Hendrix or Page or Moon had ever even heard of these Dutch dudes you'll have to excuse my deep skepticism here.

From things I remember reading when I first heard of them. Along the lines that early on the Beatles saw them play and Paul has said they were fans with George Harrison calling Andy Tielman in Rolling Stone "Andy, The Indo Man". Also, it is rumored that Hendricks either saw them play when he was part of Little Richards band while touring Europe or was told about them by Richards and their crazy guitar playing.

Also, Andy Tielman was known as a sort of guitar pioneer, being one of the first to use feedback in his music, stereo effects and other innovations with modding of his instruments.

Interesting read here.
    http://indorock.pmouse.nl/story.htm

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    batmon said:
    Omar

Yep. I saw him hanging out at this summer's Stevie show at Hyde Park. It took him about 15 minutes to walk a couple of hundred yards because people kept stopping him to pose for photos. Dude hasn't had a sniff of a hit record in years, but he's LBE royalty in this country.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Vince Taylor

• leonleon 883 Posts
    The Soft Machine (first/second album).

• Silver Apples

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    The Sonics maybe?

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    DOR said:
    From things I remember reading when I first heard of them. Along the lines that early on the Beatles saw them play and Paul has said they were fans with George Harrison calling Andy Tielman in Rolling Stone "Andy, The Indo Man". Also, it is rumored that Hendricks either saw them play when he was part of Little Richards band while touring Europe or was told about them by Richards and their crazy guitar playing.

Also, Andy Tielman was known as a sort of guitar pioneer, being one of the first to use feedback in his music, stereo effects and other innovations with modding of his instruments.

Interesting read here.

I've never heard of these guys so I can;t comment on most of this, but Hendrix never played in Europe with Little Richard or anyone else prior to forming the Experience. One of the biggest hurdles Chas Chandler had to overcome when he started working with Jimi in 1966 was getting the proper documentation so that Jimi could obtain a passport for the first time.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    That Tielman Brothers clip was great.
    Being Euro dudes it makes sense that influenced other Euro dudes.

They are what at the time was called a show band.

Visually they recall Gene Vincent and the Blue Caps

As for playing behind the back, usually credited to T-Bone Walker back in the 40s or early 50s.

There is a long list of guitarists who claim to be the first to use feedback and influence Hendrix. I'm sure they all did.

Anyway great topic. Reminds of a quote from a music critic I read back in the 70s which stuck with me. "When rockers ask Chuck Berry (or other early rock and rollers) who their influences were the answer is BB King, Nat King Cole and Django Rheinhardt. Their responses is to ignore Nat Cole, gloss over Django because they never heard of him and say 'Yeah BB King, I'm hip'.

I'll say RH Harris

• VELVET UNDERGROUND

• DOR said:
    Just finished having this convo with a friend. While not completely unknown to the majority of the general music audience (Besides in parts of Europe and Indonesia), The Tielman Brothers are one band that always comes to mind.

While I've been aware of their music for a bit, watching a video of them on youtube last week I was blown away with not just the music from that moment in time, but their style. Throughout the video you can see how IMO they were ahead of their time.

This video is rad, never heard of them before. Thanks for sharing.

asstro said:

I've never heard of these guys so I can;t comment on most of this, but Hendrix never played in Europe with Little Richard or anyone else prior to forming the Experience. One of the biggest hurdles Chas Chandler had to overcome when he started working with Jimi in 1966 was getting the proper documentation so that Jimi could obtain a passport for the first time.

Thx for the info. Which is why if anything I would find it more believable that Richards told him about the band if said rumours were true.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Big Boys.

• Options
    DOR said:

Interesting read here.

Cool info, then. Thanks!

• esskayesskay 221 Posts
    w/o Omar no D'Angelo, Maxwell, blah blah neo soul, etc-case closed

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    esskay said:
    w/o Omar no D'Angelo, Maxwell, blah blah neo soul, etc-case closed

I would disagree with that. For all those neo-soul dudes (the stateside ones at least), Terence Trent D'Arby was far more integral. Sade was probably the blueprint, but she was (and still kinda is) too good, too female, and too sui generis for anyone to emulate too closely. D'Arby kinda took her thing and showed how it could be configured for male expression. After him, le deluge. I question how much Omar really figured into it.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Flomotion said:
    Vince Taylor

I always thought Vince was a Elvis impersonator.

Esquerita

b/w

Doc Pomus

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    The Sonics were far from unknown - they were huge regionally and had national distro for their records. The Velvet Underground may not have been successful but they were far from "unknown" - and ... The Soft Machine ... really? How would anyone ever classify them as "unknown?"

• SoulOnIce said:
    The Sonics were far from unknown - they were huge regionally and had national distro for their records. The Velvet Underground may not have been successful but they were far from "unknown" - and ... The Soft Machine ... really? How would anyone ever classify them as "unknown?"

Which begs the question - Can an 'unknown' band, by definition, be influential?

Personally, I don't see how a band less known than the VU can also be influential to any degree.

I think in the 50's & 60's when there were people making a living just as songwriters you could have folks like Felice and Boudleaux Bryant, Otis Blackwell, Gerry Goffin, etc who were relatively unknown by name but had a big influence on artists decades to follow.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I guess you could get into those who influenced-the-influential ... but that brings the question of how much affect did these people really have? Like Johnny Jenkins will tell you that he influenced Jimi Hendrix, but how much and to what degree that it draws a direct line to the influence Hendrix had on others?

• TT Tucker / DJ Jimi

• You should also take into consideration producers and atrangers like Richard Evans, Jerry.Ragavoy, Mike Terry, Charles Stepney, Johnny Pate, Bert Berns et al. Largely unknown by name, but the sounds they created were far reaching.

• Certainly songwriters and producers had profound influence, but the original question was what bands were influential.

Horseleech said:
    Certainly songwriters and producers had profound influence, but the original question was what bands were influential.

Yep.....I'm off in the tulips........how about The Way-Outs?