great lps/songs that brought an artist back from a major slump.

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited December 2010 in Strut Central
Major slump? I dunno.

But ill add....

MJ - Off The Wall as a rebirth, after losing a little bit of gloss after the Gamble & Huff run.

Dr.Octagon was Kool Keith's introduction to folks that didnt know his Ultra career.

Marvin Gaye - Midnight Love (Sexual healing) was a big comeback despite being a mediocre album overall.

R. Kelly lost a little luster after TP2.Com and got his heat back w/ Chocolate Factory.

I dont know how many times the Isley Brothers reclaimed their heat?

Master Ace - Disposable Arts?

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Sexual Healing was a great song. Not a come back, just an isolated hit. Like:
    Tina Turner - What's Love Gotta Do With It
    Santana with that song that was big for him a few years ago.

Johnny Cash, as I said before.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    LaserWolf said:

??????

that album had multiple top 10 singles and completely revived her career, made her a huge star again with movie roles, a book, a biopic ...

SoulOnIce said:
    LaserWolf said:

??????

that album had multiple top 10 singles and completely revived her career, made her a huge star again with movie roles, a book, a biopic ...

True.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    disposable arts is a good one
    raekwon and OBCL2 is a recent example

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    SoulOnIce said:
    LaserWolf said:

??????

True.

But was this album really "great", as the title of the tread applies.
    If so, we should also include this terd

The 4 above seem rather strange choices.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Midnight Love/Sexual Healing wasnt a comback after self-exile and leaving Motown.

Wasnt Marvin "chirp" for a long minute? Here My Dear was a flop.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    The problem with Marvin is that "Midnight Love" returned him to commercial success but artistically, I think "Here My Dear" was pretty incredible so it's harder to think of the 3 years between that and "Sexual Healing" as a major "slump" outside of album sales.

WIth Santana, I'm disinclined to call "Supernatural" a great artistic comeback but maybe I'm just biased.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    Oh Mercy comes to mind -- haven't listened to it in ages so I have no idea how it holds up, but that album (along with the Bootleg Series 1-3) certainly redirected Dylan's career trajectory and refreshed his critical reputation.

mannybolone said:
    The problem with Marvin is that "Midnight Love" returned him to commercial success but artistically, I think "Here My Dear" was pretty incredible so it's harder to think of the 3 years between that and "Sexual Healing" as a major "slump" outside of album sales.

Heads jumped on Here My Dear 15/20 years later.
    I never heard anything off that album in 78. Not on the radio, at parties, in neighbors collectrons. Nuffin.
    Givin the state he and Motown/Gordy was in during that album I doubt it was even promoted heavily.
    I'd have to go back to the Ritz book to see if they mention how it was handled.

But i recall Sexual Healing being touted as Marvin being back on the scene after being off the charts since I Want You. I thought his death was extra tragic because he was on some old man shit that got his swagger back and died right after his return.

Got To Give it Up was '77. ML/SH was '83.

O - I've been thinking commercial comeback, but artistic come back works too.

I think Sexual Healing was both a commercial and an artistic comeback.

The Ritz book talks about HMD a lot. Not sure what it says, Moody, divorce, settlement, flop... stuff like that I think.

• This is the album that made Tony Bennett a star again. Sure, it only made it to #160 on the Billboard Top 200, but the fact that it charted at all meant that this LP was being bought.

In 1986, this kind of mainstream pop music was passe like a motherfucker. Sinatra was the only one left who was selling records, and even he only released new albums intermittently. Although I'm sure Bennett was still working, this one brought him back into the game for real. I even remember USA Today, around the time of this album, running a story about how out-of-nowhere his new success was...

pickwick33 said:

This is the album that made Tony Bennett a star again. Sure, it only made it to #160 on the Billboard Top 200, but the fact that it charted at all meant that this LP was being bought.

In 1986, this kind of mainstream pop music was passe like a motherfucker. Sinatra was the only one left who was selling records, and even he only released new albums intermittently. Although I'm sure Bennett was still working, this one brought him back into the game for real. I even remember USA Today, around the time of this album, running a story about how out-of-nowhere his new success was...

Was this the start to his 90s exposure to the MTV generation?

Muddy Waters' Hard Again lp was a major move for him, if not a true comeback.
    He had been on Chess near abouts his whole life, then they dumped him.
    His last lp of new music for Chess was The Woodstock Album in 1975. (one of my favorites but I don't think it sold).

In 1977 he did Hard Again for Blue Sky. It was a return to the sound of his road band (+Johnny Winters) and received rave reviews and sold well leading to a string of similar lps.

Also, Roy Orbison (on the commercial tip) with all that stuff he did in the 80s with big rock stars.

• batmon said:
    pickwick33 said:

This is the album that made Tony Bennett a star again. Sure, it only made it to #160 on the Billboard Top 200, but the fact that it charted at all meant that this LP was being bought.

Was this the start to his 90s exposure to the MTV generation?

Yeah, you can say that...although he had already been "back" for a while by the time that audience discovered him.

• LaserWolf said:

Chess didn't dump him, he left voluntarily.

The label was pretty much at the end of the line, anyway. The Muddy Waters Woodstock Album likely would have been one of the last recordings of new material that company issued.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts

pickwick33 said:
    LaserWolf said:

The label was pretty much at the end of the line, anyway. The Muddy Waters Woodstock Album likely would have been one of the last recordings of new material that company issued.

I thought I remembered at the time (that the Blue Sky records came out) Muddy saying he was pissed the way Chess dumped him after all those years. Maybe he said treated him. No doubt Chess was all but dead then.

• LaserWolf said:
    pickwick33 said:
    LaserWolf said:

I thought I remembered at the time (that the Blue Sky records came out) Muddy saying he was pissed the way Chess dumped him after all those years. Maybe he said treated him. No doubt Chess was all but dead then.

Probably he meant the way they treated him. If you spend half your life working for a smallish family-run company that all of a sudden goes corporate, there will be changes. He was probably glad to be gone, anyway; in 1975, Chess was a sinking ship, and those Blue Sky/CBS albums probably gave him his biggest notoriety since The London Muddy Waters Sessions (1972).

• KadinkKadink Mainstream hip-hop is losing its street edge 98 Posts
    I think this list should include Who's Zooming Who. Also, whatever Neil Young record that came out around 1990 after his synth/rockabilly/beer commercial phase.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts

Many fans and critics thought Prince had kind of lost his way after the "Around The World In A Day" and "Parade" LP's, and especially after the flop that was "Under The Cherry Moon". This LP proved that the man was still at the top of his game and was probably the last real creative peak he had. He had #1 LP's and singles after this, but no more great complete LP's IMO.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    I'm sorry but that's not a come back. IMO 1984 (Purple Rain) until Batman (1989) he was at his absolute creative and commercial peak, with one or more hits in every year (Raspberry beret 1985, Kiss 1986 etc). Also: full stadiums in every world tour etc.

1984: Purple Rain
    1985: Around the world in a day
    1986: Parade
    1987: Sign of the Times
    1987: Black Album
    1988: Lovesexy

If he scored a no 1 album with multiple hits next year that would be a comeback.

leon said:
    I'm sorry but that's not a come back. IMO 1984 (Purple Rain) until Batman (1989) he was at his absolute creative and commercial peak, with one or more hits in every year (Raspberry beret 1985, Kiss 1986 etc). Also: full stadiums in every world tour etc.

If he scored a no 1 album with multiple hits next year that would be a comeback.

I recall folks that wanted Purple Rain Part 2 poo-pooing Around The World In A Day.
    Parade accompanied the Movie so that wasnt a drop off or slump.
    Sign Of The Times wasnt a comeback do i do recall it as a regular BIG Prince album vs ATWIAD & Parade concept albums.

As far a creative peak dude for me caught fire w/ 1999 BEFORE Purple Rain,IMO, with all previous albums, having much heet.

Rain was when he became household, w/ a following who already knew the deal.

• batmon said:
    leon said:

I recall folks that wanted Purple Rain Part 2 poo-pooing Around The World In A Day.
    Sign Of The Times wasnt a comeback do i do recall it as a regular BIG Prince album vs ATWIAD & Parade concept albums.

As far a creative peak dude for me caught fire w/ 1999 BEFORE Purple Rain,IMO, with all previous albums, having much heet.

To be honest with you, I can't remember a time since 1983 when Prince WASN'T in the public eye. No matter how good or bad his previous album was, if he talked, people listened. I don't recall him ever totally receding into the background like Johnny Cash or Tony Bennett.

pickwick33 said:
    batmon said:
    leon said:

To be honest with you, I can't remember a time since 1983 when Prince WASN'T in the public eye. No matter how good or bad his previous album was, if he talked, people listened. I don't recall him ever totally receding into the background like Johnny Cash or Tony Bennett.

Yeah - I think dude has been "slumping" recently, but your right.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    All of this is true in hindsight, but at the time the consensus was that even though Prince was a major talent and made great singles, his albums were getting too self-indulgent and weird to sustain him as the kind of superstar he seemed to be right after Purple Rain. People were really confused by ATWIAD and Parade and both records got pretty tepid reviews in a lot of places. 20+ years later you look at his career and say "what slump" but at the time people definitely thought he had fallen off or at least was on his way down.