Halp! Record shopping in Sydney

sysfunksysfunk 32 Posts
edited November 2010 in Strut Central
Greetings from a lurker,

I know some Australians post here, so could anyone give me any tips about record shops in Sydney?

My map, based on the Discogs forum, yielded a total of 0 records, as I didn't manage to find any of the stores listed. :/ The record fair on Wentworth Avenue today was a nice thing though.

I'm mostly looking for soul / funk / disco / boogie, but I don't mind a bit of house and electro and other good stuff either ...

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Damn - if I'd seen this msg earlier I coulda said hi to you at the fair today!

There's also a record fair tomorrow in Parramatta (30 mins or so west on the train line and pretty easy to find. Feel free to hit me on the PM if you wanna meet up and/or check out soem cool Australian music.

• Heh, should have posted earlier! I spent half a day looking for the shops on Thursday ...

I read about the Parramatta record fair in the announcements section, but I'm afraid it's a bit too far away for me. I'm staying in Caringbah, and it takes me about 40 mins to reach Central. Need to take care of my budget as well. :-)

I'll be staying here for another two weeks, so any tips on what's good would be much appreciated!

• I think I sold you some records at the Eastside Radio Fair.. I had about 70 crates worth there.

Kinetic is the guy to show you Sydney spots. Revolve records in Erskineville is worth checking out

Revolve Records
    3/65 Erskineville Road
    Erskineville 2043
    (02) 9519 9978 (02) 9519 9978
    Train: Erskineville

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Hey dude...welcome to Sydney.... There isnt much around where your staying, most stores are based around the CBD and Inner West. The Parramatta Record fair was pretty fresh would have been worth the travel time...lots of bargains for the taking.

Theres a massive record fair (held by the buy that owns revolve records) on the 11th and 12th of Dec but its out in Glenbrook...near the Blue Mountians...like 2hrs away from where you are.

Revolve is dope cus its easy to get to and has a good range. Also try:

Blacktown Discounts Record shop- 12 Main Street, Blacktown.

Red Eye records- 370 Pitt Street, Sydney

The Record Store- 255b Crown St (enter via Goulburn St) Darlinghurst

The Vintage record- 31a Parramatta Road Annandale NSW 2038

Egg records- 3 Wilson St Newtown (its about 10 min walk from revolve so if you go there worth hitting both)

Warped Records- 14 Bayswater Road - Kings Cross

Also, a few of us get together fortnightly to spin some funky tunes at a cool little bar called The Hive, which is a block away from Revolve records. The next session is Dec 12th. If you around Sydney and want to head down send me PM and Ill give you my number .... a few local diggers always come thru...and the beer is great there too.

Happy digging.... and watch out for the drop bears ;-)

• Wow, I'm overwhelmed by the friendly responses here - thanks everyone!

DJ_WubWub, if you sold some classic disco records to a Finnish guy then that's me --- thanks for the discount! If you happen to be the other guy who I haggled with about the price of the Sylvia Striplin and Universal Robot Band reissues, I'm sorry if I was annoying. :D

LokoOne, thanks for the record shop + bar info! Also, check your inbox.

Don't you mean the 5th Loko? I saw Trev tonight @ Hive after the radio show - Banga and I are gonna be there this Sunday - sysfunk, you should head on down and introduce yourself!

• If it's on the 5th, it would be waaay better for me as I'm leaving on the 13th. Let me know what's up and I'll try to make it there!

• sysfunk said:
    Wow, I'm overwhelmed by the friendly responses here - thanks everyone!

DJ_WubWub, if you sold some classic disco records to a Finnish guy then that's me --- thanks for the discount!.

That was me.

• DJ_WubWub said:
    sysfunk said:

DJ_WubWub, if you sold some classic disco records to a Finnish guy then that's me --- thanks for the discount!.

That was me.

Hi there! Are you planning to have your records for sale anywhere else during the next two weeks? If so, I think I'd like to take another look at them.

Hey M**k your right, I checked with Myme and its on this Sunday 5th.....

sysfunk I hope you can make it down mate.....

• sysfunk said:
    DJ_WubWub said:
    sysfunk said:

That was me.

Hi there! Are you planning to have your records for sale anywhere else during the next two weeks? If so, I think I'd like to take another look at them.

I have a massive 5900kg shipment (25000) arriving this week.. But I am 10hrs drive from Sydney and wont have them ready for sale for a few weeks

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    DJ_WubWub said:
    sysfunk said:
    DJ_WubWub said:
    sysfunk said:

That was me.

I have a massive 5900kg shipment (25000) arriving this week.. But I am 10hrs drive from Sydney and wont have them ready for sale for a few weeks

yo holla on the phone homeboy, I missed your call... come out on Saturday on the weekend hommie!

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    dont do it M@tt, save your records for adelaide, you know we cant live without you here!

• the_dL said:
    dont do it M@tt, save your records for adelaide, you know we cant live without you here!
    I love Adelaide and will always look after the Hyde Park Ghetto Crew ..

Unfortunately the next Adelaide fair wont be til June so you guys will have to come up and visit

hey sysfunk...

if your coming down Sunday heres the webiste for the bar which has directions etc... or just call me on the day if you get lost...

http://www.thehivebar.com.au/

• Thanks! I try to make it there, mad busy with the non-holiday part of my trip right now, but this should be over by Sunday!

• I visited Revolve Records today, the staff was very friendly and pointed out some nice Aussie records for me. Picked up Renee Geyer albums from '75 and '77 and Marcia Hines, the very basic stuff I guess!

I also went to Egg Records and found it to be a bit pricey. Could not resist getting Marlena Shaw's Who's That Bitch Anyway? LP, it's been on my wantlist for a long time.

Also spotted the Hive Bar, see you there tomorrow - dunno when I should be there though?

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    This thread puts a smile on my face.

My memories of digging in Sydney in the tail end of the 20th century are nothing but great.

there was a store in the Cross, it was a bookstore actually but the guy had a few records. I came up so much good shit there, basic stuff like Herbie, Miles and James, but it was all NM and a couple bucks a pop.

One day i headed in and the jammy bastard was unpacking 30 plus boxes of Library RAER he had just aquired from the ABC, i had no clue back then and shudder to think of what ilet slip through my fingers, but yeh, Sydney fuckin rules.

love that city.

Yeah man... every second library record that surfaces in Syd has the little diagonal ABC silver inprint on the sleeve.

sysfunk said:
    I visited Revolve Records today, the staff was very friendly and pointed out some nice Aussie records for me. Picked up Renee Geyer albums from '75 and '77 and Marcia Hines, the very basic stuff I guess!

I also went to Egg Records and found it to be a bit pricey. Could not resist getting Marlena Shaw's Who's That Bitch Anyway? LP, it's been on my wantlist for a long time.

Also spotted the Hive Bar, see you there tomorrow - dunno when I should be there though?

Good to hear you made it to revolve. Nice ppl there, most of the staff are avid collectors and got that love for music we all do.

Yo, we'll be at the Hive from around 430pm. Just give me a call when your heading up, Im gonna be down the road at another little happening.

Looking forward to having some beers and a spliff with you and talking rekkids.... :-)

Hey NZ Shadow- that shop you talk about is still around, one of the boys in my crew lives around the corner and he's always pulling out mad stufff from there at good prices too.

• LokoOne said:
    Good to hear you made it to revolve. Nice ppl there, most of the staff are avid collectors and got that love for music we all do.

Yo, we'll be at the Hive from around 430pm. Just give me a call when your heading up, Im gonna be down the road at another little happening.

Looking forward to having some beers and a spliff with you and talking rekkids.... :-)

Hey NZ Shadow- that shop you talk about is still around, one of the boys in my crew lives around the corner and he's always pulling out mad stufff from there at good prices too.

Looking forward to it as well! I should be there sometime between 5 and 6 pm ... need to finish doing some stuff before. I'll send you a text when I'm on the way, it's the best way as the roaming fees are quite high for me here!

Hey man - good to meet ya. Drop me a line if there's more stuff on the blog that you dig or want info on. I'll be down at Hive again next week spinning in the arvo so feel free to drop by with some records if you wanna hang out.

• Kinetic said:
    Hey man - good to meet ya. Drop me a line if there's more stuff on the blog that you dig or want info on. I'll be down at Hive again next week spinning in the arvo so feel free to drop by with some records if you wanna hang out.

Thanks! Also, a big thank you to you and LokoOne for a nice afternoon at the Hive bar. It was much needed after weeks of anglo-saxon suburbia. ;)

You mean in the afternoon next Sunday? Trevor also mentioned that there's open decks on Wednesday as well.

• Oh yeah, and thanks one more time to LokoOne for the records and Kinetic for supplying some RAER.

I checked out the records on discogs, and surprise surprise, some of the Finnish diggers I know already got them (Marcia Hines, Daly-Wilson Big Band) - hell, they've probably played them on the Finnish radio already.

Looking forward to listen to them at home!

sysfunk said:
    Kinetic said:

Thanks! Also, a big thank you to you and LokoOne for a nice afternoon at the Hive bar. It was much needed after weeks of anglo-saxon suburbia. ;)

You mean in the afternoon next Sunday? Trevor also mentioned that there's open decks on Wednesday as well.

Yeah man, I don't usually head down on wed since it's a school night, but I'll be there again this Sunday from 4-6pm. If you're around again drop in and chat to Peter at revolve - i co-host a weekly radio show with him that airs tomorrow from 1:30-3pm on 2SER 107.3 FM.

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    Bump. I m in Australia this week, mostly Sydney but also Brisbane and Melbourne. Guess the recordshops havent changed much, what about some good food joints? Also if any of you guys play some nice bars etc.. let me know!
    Oh, and i remember some antique store somewhere near kings cross where i came up with some nice records, anyboy know this one? is it still around?

PM'd ya