HDTV recommendations?

KaushikKaushik 320 Posts
edited November 2010 in Strut Central
I'm looking into Black Friday deals and appreciate recommendations on HDTVs to check out. Price is in the $1500-$2000 range. What are your preferences between LCD vs. plasma? Are LED TVs worth it? What are the good websites for HDTV reviews? Should I ignore what CNET says? http://reviews.cnet.com/best-hdtvs/?tag=contentBody;revCatWrap

Thanks!!

Comments

• LCD all the way. i have a 42" sanyo (that ive had for about 2 years) and love it.

• a month back I copped the "60 sharp quattro

it's next level like mario down a tube.

• I have a panasonic LCD Viera that I spent a lot of time shopping for that I like a lot.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Just don't buy into the whole 3-D thing - it really isn't that good.

• Kaushik said:
    I'm looking into Black Friday deals and appreciate recommendations on HDTVs to check out. Price is in the $1500-$2000 range. What are your preferences between LCD vs. plasma? Are LED TVs worth it? What are the good websites for HDTV reviews? Should I ignore what CNET says? http://reviews.cnet.com/best-hdtvs/?tag=contentBody;revCatWrap

Thanks!!

to actually be helpful...

Get an LCD.

Don't bother with LED, not worth the price.

I don't hate CNET, but they are hit and miss, and definitely have their own opinions.

Honestly, reviews on HDTVs are kind of out the window at this point. Stick with LCD, 1080p, decent refresh rate, and a name brand you have atleast heard of and you will be happy with your selection (just focus on price). It is all about the calibration after you take it home. You can make an off brand look better than a name brand if you calibrate correctly... http://revision3.com/hdnation/hdcalibration

• Cookbook and anyone else: Why go for LCD over plasma? My main interest is excellent picture quality for watching high def TV and DVD movies. No gaming or sports so I don't care about whatever technology is used to accurately display fast motion graphics etc.

I know that there are only a limited number of companies doing plasma now (Panasonic is one I'm looking at seriously based on the CNET reviews). But I can be convinced to consider LCD if anyone thinks that picture quality, black tones, etc are just as good on LCD vs. plasma. I've read that you don't get true black on LCD.

What about refresh rate? What's a good range to go for?

Thanks for the calibration information, will have to check that out.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Make notes on what is available, then read up on the known issues here. They share a wealth of knowledge. Maybe too much sometimes but if you can find the thread about the model TV you are looking at it is likely they'll have a list of settings to make it look 100X better than it did out of the box.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/

• For $2000 you should be able to hook up three HDTVs in the 42" size range on Black Friday.

• Big_Chan said:

2 grand for a 50 is high no?

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I always hear good things about Samsung, Sony, and Sharp in that order. I bought a 37" Sharp Aquos about 4 years ago and love it. Used it quite a bit, and still working flawless with great picture. I will cop a 32" LED in the near future for the bedroom. I like the thin of the LED. It will sit almost flush to the wall.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I'm looking to finally get into the HD game too...1st generation (150+lb) HDTVs are the new hand-me-downs, so I'm looking to do that. The 3D shit is a little much for me, but HD is no joke. I remember my first HDTV image: some dude eating a chili dog at a NASCAR race. My life will never be the same after that.

While waiting for Eastbound & Down to start, my friend made the pitch for my buying a Vizio like his. I was open to it, until the show started:

Incredible! He almost stormed out.

b/w

yes I'm considering buying kswiss Tubes LOL

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I was in Best Buy today. I checked the Samsung 37 superthin LED. 1000 eagles.

But the reviews say the audio is wack. I bet they dont run it through an A/V receiver.

And i read that it was very reflective. A buddy said i should look for Matte screen.

SabadadaABBA....I saw u copped the Panasonic version. Any issues? Is it LED.

I want super thin. No more suitcases on a stand shit.

• KaushikKaushik 320 Posts
    I was looking at LEDs too but the prices looked way over-inflated. Since they are newer technology there should be a price drop in the next 1-2 years. I actually went for a 42" 1080p Samsung LCD. It was only $700 at HH Gregg -- way less than my original budget. Didn't calibrate it or anything and it looks amazing. Watching Mad Men on demand on AMC HD is like whoa -- feels like I'm watching TV with brand new eyes.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Plasma -- cheap, really good picture quality and heavy enough that thieves won't be able to run off with it with the quickness. I bought a 50-inch Panasonic plasma several months ago for $800. Supposedly Panasonic has the best plazz in the bizz.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I heard that most folks dont have a properly Calibrated TV.
    What's the story here?
    U do it yourself or you have to hire somebody to do it?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I was tempted to buy the Samsung 46" LED over the holidays. Prices are pretty damn cheap right now.

Don't worry about TV audio if you have a sound system.

Screw 3D

Tho, I would be tempted to get one when they are looking like this.

Bought my grandfather a 37" for x-mas. He's amazed by it.

• I bought my first HD TV last week. I got a 40" Toshiba LCD (1080 dpi) for $549. Seeing as it replaced a 27" Sony Trinitron, I'm more than happy with it. I could've spent a lot more, but I suspect that the extra bells, whistles and pixels would've been lost on me. I feel the same way about audiophile equipment, for what it's worth.