›

Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Pt. 1.

Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
edited November 2010 in Strut Central
*This space reserved for me to tell you all how great it is after I watch the 12:30a show*

Also, I'm well aware that this thread will most likely matter only to Almond and I but, like Milk Dee, I-I-I-I-I don't care.

Comments

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Ill be going with the wife next week, cant wait.

B/W

• just be glad he isnt your child.

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    refuse to watch till pt 2

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    Seeing it tonight w/ the lady. I'll report back.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Will not watch for a while. Maybe TG. Honestly not as into the movies as the books. Finishing the 7th novel was like destroying the final horcrux of my childhood so I can't muster up the proper excitement for the film.

Please tell me you ended up visiting Hogwarts, Herm.

• Almond said:
    Will not watch for a while. Maybe TG. Honestly not as into the movies as the books. Finishing the 7th novel was like destroying the final horcrux of my childhood so I can't muster up the proper excitement for the film.

Please tell me you ended up visiting Hogwarts, Herm.

I did! Been meaning to PM you about it but haven't had the time, nor have I uploaded the few pics I've taken. I will say though that they put an INCREDIBLE amount of detail into that part of the park. (It's a mini-park within Universal's Islands Of Adventure park.) I kinda want to tell you some specifics but I feel it might ruin the surprises you would discover when you get a chance to go. The main ride is unlike any other I've been on. It's part rollercoaster-ish, part 3D movie adventure. Butterbeer (basically foamy butterscotch soda) is delicious. So was the pumpkin juice.

As far as the movie, I loved it, but I feel the next one is going to be, for lack of a better term, EPIC. In this one, the location shots are beautiful (remember their bouncing all over the place running/searching for horcruxes in this one), the house elves look so real it's creepy and the animation sequence for The Tale Of The Three Brothers is beautiful and eerie. I honestly couldn't tell if it was computer-animated, live puppetry or a combination of both.

Also, *spoiler alert*

Dobby's death was saddening and handled extremely well. Though, as I said above, it was eerie how real it seemed. A lot of the theater was full-on sobbing. I teared up too (as I usually do).

Hermione's torture scene wasn't as bad as I remember it being in the book, but her screams got the point across.

Luna Lovegood makes me happy. She's so weird and sweet. Everything she says makes me smile.

Also, Tonks is sexy as hell. I had a little crush on her when she was in that Hugh Grant movie a while back. Tonks is a similar character to that one, kinda punk rock-ish.

I need to reread the last book before the final movie comes out. It's been so long since I've read any of them!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Spoiler alert hours after the movie opens?

It might be weeks before I get around to seeing the movies (like she said, the books are where it's at). I will be skipping this thread till then.

• I think the movies do a great job of representing the books. Granted, they're not line-for-line, but I think if you stand back and look at the entire series thus far instead of comparing chapter to chapter, you'll find that it says true to the story. From what I've read, JK Rowling has final say on all changes (such as timeline).

Side note: My friend and I were talking about how neither one of us knew how to pronounce Hermione's name until the movie came out. I was saying Hermi-own and he was saying Hermi One.

Hermi One: one who possesses Herm-like qualities

• Almond said:

That would be one boring wizard! Always picked last for Quidditch games, no date to the Yule Ball, busted pigeon as a pet...

• leonleon 883 Posts

I'm just like that but with soul 'n' funk rekkids.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    leon said:

We need to see your fan fiction bro

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    The next one WILL be epic!

Herm said:
    Almond said:

That would be one boring wizard! Always picked last for Quidditch games, no date to the Yule Ball, busted pigeon as a pet...

Quit whining, Ron. If Harry can score with a hot Asian chick, and then show up to the Yule Ball with the exotic Parvati a week later, there's hope for you. Even Hermi-one got some play that night with that Bulgarian dude. Leave-in conditioner did that nappy-headed girl some wonders.

J.K. took interracial dating to the next level in Goblet of Fire. Saying.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Saw the movie today at an early show with my kids. Have to say that I think it was the best of the series so far. Was completley different from the other movies. Really dark, suspenseful and scary.

• Almond said:
    Honestly not as into the movies as the books.
    I'm confused.

Okay. So, I didn't read the books. Nothing against them, I'm sure I'd enjoy them. I just never got around to it - never knew anyone who did and wanted to lend me a copy.

So, the other day I saw one on TV. Burning Goblet? Something with a goblet? or Flames? The one with the avon lady who took over the school? (Order of the Phoenix (google is my friend))

Anyway, it was okaaaay-ish. Certainly worse things on TV. But it wasn't anything I'd tell anyone else to see. And, I have a good attention span, am amused watching paint dry, so it's not like I didn't pay attention.

I have this notion that people who read the books are seeing something WAY different in the movies than those who didn't. You (book readers) already have some elaborate story architecture / mindgarten in your brain.

Those who didn't read it just see a mildly amusing to not-that-amusing kids action / fantasy movie .

Yes?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I didn't read the books. I like the movies though a lot of that has to do with watching since the first so at this point, I'm more or less invested in the longterm arc of the characters rather than the intrinsic qualities of each individual movie.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    bull_ox said:
    leon said:

We need to see your fan fiction bro

It's like that Potter guy but with an Elvis jumpsuit pointing at my rare Phil Collins 45's.
    :-P

brokenrecord said:
    Almond said:
    Honestly not as into the movies as the books.
    I'm confused.

Okay. So, I didn't read the books. Nothing against them, I'm sure I'd enjoy them. I just never got around to it - never knew anyone who did and wanted to lend me a copy.

So, the other day I saw one on TV. Burning Goblet? Something with a goblet? or Flames? The one with the avon lady who took over the school? (Order of the Phoenix (google is my friend))

Anyway, it was okaaaay-ish. Certainly worse things on TV. But it wasn't anything I'd tell anyone else to see. And, I have a good attention span, am amused watching paint dry, so it's not like I didn't pay attention.

I have this notion that people who read the books are seeing something WAY different in the movies than those who didn't. You (book readers) already have some elaborate story architecture / mindgarten in your brain.

Those who didn't read it just see a mildly amusing to not-that-amusing kids action / fantasy movie .

Yes?

The books contain such a wealth of detail that the movies can only really outline the major plot points of a single novel. If I hadn't read the books, I probably wouldn't be interested in or understand the movies at all. I've only seen about 3 of the movies because from a film quality perspective, I didn't really think they were "good" until the actors were in their later teens. Even in the books, the plot didn't get dark and scary until about book 5, when the effects of puberty are in full swing.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Herm said:
    Luna Lovegood makes me happy. She's so weird and sweet. Everything she says makes me smile.

Is that the spacey, slightly tripped-out blonde chick?

Yup, that's Luna. IMO, J.K. should have introduced the class stoner much earlier on in the series. I was really hoping she'd hook up with Neville, since she's freaky and he's never had any good excitement in his life. I love her character.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Saw the new one about a week ago.

Not sure how anyone can enjoy, or even know what's going on in the movies if you have not read the book.
    For example, IN THE NEW MOVIE, Ron gets splinched.
    I don't think splinching is ever explained in any of the movies, so how does someone who has not read the books understand what happened?

My friends went the day it went out with a guy who hasn't seen any of the movies or read any books.
    After the movie was over he asked "what is Ron's magical power?".

Anyway, enjoyed the movie, best one so far. Wish they had been this good from the start.

I think the 3 actors have gotten very good.
    In the beginning Radcliff kinda sucked, but now he's good. I think. After his stage success I predict a successful adult career.
    Watson was perhaps always the best actor of the lot. I'm not sure if she is driven enough to succeed at the Hollywood level.
    Grint, in terms of the movies, has grown to big for the role, he really beefed up. I'm not sure if his acting is good or not. I doubt he will have much success beyond the Potter movies.

What do you all think about their futures?