EFFECTS ya'll

Mr. CasualMr. Casual 953 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
I am debating wether to purchase a Pioneer EFX 500... my question is... I am probably going to get Serato within a year or two.. does this already come with effects to use live.. or is a seperate efx proccessor needed.any help is much appreciated..

Comments

• please

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    analog analog analog

effects should have knobs, effects with knobs are the best, analog....

• so your saying get the Pioneer EFX 500?

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    I weighed it all up and decided on a KAOSS pad II instead.

Is there any unique function you want the EFX 500 for?

• not really does the Kaos pad have a BPM counter?

What were the +'s and -'s that made your decision?

• not really does the Kaos pad have a BPM counter?

What were the +'s and -'s that made your decision?

Kaoss pad does have BPM counter, and I think it's better cause you get all the same functions with a more intuitive interface, plus you can program your own settings, and it's not as expensive. It's also MIDI so you can hook it up to your computer or other synths

Yeah, the KAOSS has a BPM counter.

It has about 10 BPM sync'ed effects, plus some sampling capability.

The way I see it, the main plus is that KAOSS pad does all the things the EFX 500 can and also a few things it cant (and not just for show, its all pretty useful).

What made me make my mind up was when I saw the Product Placement DVD. Cut Chemist was having way more fun on his KAOSS than Shadow was on his EFX 500 - plus the range and versatility of echo effects impressed me.

Heres a pretty good summary of the KAOSS 2.

But, it all depends on what you want to use it for. The KAOSS might not be your bag at all, but do some homework on the EFX 500 before you make your mind up.

• wow so is there anyone out here that can give a reason why to use the EFX 500?

• wow so is there anyone out here that can give a reason why to use the EFX 500?

can you record vocals onto the Pioneer? wow I think i am sort of being swayed towards the KAOSS side..

I did start out wanting an EFX first of all, then after reading a lot of reviews I changed my mind.

The EFX may be have more BMP sync type stuff, thats just an assumption, but I've never thought 'Damn I wish the KAOSS could do......' though.

For the money, its pretty comprehensive.

• first of all thanks for helping me with this shit.. I'm pretty clueless as I have never used the KAOSS and limited use of the EFX....

by BPM tricks you mean blending the effects to a higher/slower BPM?

can you do this with the KAOSS2?

Yeah, so like if you have a tune playing and you want the echo to go in tempo with the tune, theres a little bmp pad that you just tap in time with the beat and it will calculate the bpm to sync the echo to.

Thats available on both units.