I just read Berry Gordy's autobiography

BlastkidBlastkid 240 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
and I still have this question:What's the difference between Motown, Tamla and Gordy (and Soul records)?In the book he only writes that he wanted to publish Lp's on Tamla and singles on Motown or the other way around (I'm not sure), but that seemed to be difficult or something. He doesn't even mention the Gordy label in the book (which is pretty subjective, to say the least).I read somewhere else that he used Soul records to release the less commercial music he put out.(and that he actually copyrighted the word Soul???)so, what's up with these different labels?

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    For many different reasons record labels use many imprints. All the above plus Black Forum and Rare Earth were own by Motown Corp. Here are some reasons for different names:
    1) Getting more songs on the radio, Djs are/were reluctant to spin the same label back to back.
    2) Each label can have it's own identity; Soul = harder acts ie Jr Walker, Gladys Knight, Black Forum = Spoken Word, Rare Earth = Rock.
    3) Different VP could have control over different labels. (I doubt this was ever the case at Motown.)

Dan

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    so, what's up with these different labels?

Paging Pickwick...

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    For many different reasons record labels use many imprints. All the above plus Black Forum and Rare Earth were own by Motown Corp. Here are some reasons for different names:

1) Getting more songs on the radio, Djs are/were reluctant to spin the same label back to back.

2) Each label can have it's own identity; Soul = harder acts ie Jr Walker, Gladys Knight, Black Forum = Spoken Word, Rare Earth = Rock.

3) Different VP could have control over different labels. (I doubt this was ever the case at Motown.)

Dan

I guess I'd agree, except for a couple things:

- the Soul label had softer acts too (like the Originals)

- When a big company starts a subsidiary, it doesn't always mean that they were set up for different kinds of music. Half the time the sub-label was set up to handle the overflow of artists. Epic seldom puts out anything that their big brother Columbia wouldn't, you know? Well, maybe Columbia's got all the classical music, but that's it. So what is the difference between Motown, Tamla, Soul and Gordy? I'd say nothing - I'd refer back to #1 in Laser Wolf's post.

It should be noted that Motown discontinued Tamla, Soul and Gordy sometime in the mid-80's.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    So what's up with Berry Gordy?

Is the book itself any good?

WHOA this is graemlin heaven over here. I've been *on vacation for the last few days.

• BlastkidBlastkid 240 Posts
    Berry Gordy was a business man, that's sure. He made music to make money. His book is 50 % saying how good he was himself, 50% saying how good smokey robinson and the other motown artists were.
    There are some interesting parts in the book, really, but I have the feeling that he only writes half of the truth...

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Dan

I guess I'd agree, except for a couple things:
    - the Soul label had softer acts too (like the Originals)
    - When a big company starts a subsidiary, it doesn't always mean that they were set up for different kinds of music. Half the time the sub-label was set up to handle the overflow of artists. Epic seldom puts out anything that their big brother Columbia wouldn't, you know? Well, maybe Columbia's got all the classical music, but that's it. So what is the difference between Motown, Tamla, Soul and Gordy? I'd say nothing - I'd refer back to #1 in Laser Wolf's post.

It should be noted that Motown discontinued Tamla, Soul and Gordy sometime in the mid-80's.

No argument here. Just saying subsidiary could be set up to handle different styles. Not saying that was always the case at Motown. I agree with what you said about Soul.

Dan