The State of Strut (Ban Edition)

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited November 2010 in Strut Central
Ok, let's see where this board's membership is really at.

Comments

• I wish there was an option for temporary bans. A time out might help some of these hurbz

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Grandfather said:
    I wish there was an option for temporary bans. A time out might help some of these hurbz

That's what thread locking is meant to do but it's similarly unpopular.

And most bans are temporary. Raj tends to let people back in after they've been kept on ice for a min.

• thats true right, teh ban never stopped that larrymoejesus dude from re registering.
    BAN AWAY

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Certain posters, almost undeniably, become part of this community with the sole goal of being destructive. I don't see the benefit of giving those people a forum in which to troll or just fire off vitriol.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    every member should have to give their paypal info upon registration. when something slanderous or retarded is said the Strut will deduct a small amount from your account. sort of like a cursing jar and distribute it equally amongst the other members.

shit could get fun.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    white_tea said:
    Certain posters, almost undeniably, become part of this community with the sole goal of being destructive. I don't see the benefit of giving those people a forum in which to troll or just fire off vitriol.

CO SIGN.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    white_tea said:
    Certain posters, almost undeniably, become part of this community with the sole goal of being destructive.

I say just ignore these ass-clowns and just do what we do. If you give these idiots any type of reaction they will just keep up their shenanigans. Usually when people like this get no reactions, after awhile, they tend to go away. We all have the "Ignore member" function.

Breez said:
    white_tea said:
    Certain posters, almost undeniably, become part of this community with the sole goal of being destructive.

I say just ignore these ass-clowns and just do what we do. If you give these idiots any type of reaction they will just keep up their shenanigans. Usually when people like this get no reactions, after awhile, they tend to go away. We all have the "Ignore member" function.

The problem is that enough people on this board find it impossible NOT to reply. Look through the history of the site and find a single example where successful "troll avoidance" happened.

The options here are finite:

*Maintain the status quo.
    *Lock threads more.
    *Ban people more.
    *Ban political topics on the board (or create a separate politics/non-RR page)
    *Hope the Tooth Fairy and Santa Claus can convince people not to reply to obvious troll bait (which is to say, "maintain the status quo")

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    More bans the better IMO. The campaigns to get them reinstated always helps brighten up a dull day in the office (Free Sabadaba!)

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Junior said:
    More bans the better IMO. The campaigns to get them reinstated always helps brighten up a dull day in the office (Free Sabadaba!)

BAN!

DB_Cooper said:
    Junior said:

BAN!

The campaign to free Junior starts right here folks. Don't make me set up a blog.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    If posting "Fuck The Republicans" is acceptable and isn't destructive then posting "Fuck The Democrats" should be treated the same way.

Pull up your big boy pants and deal..

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    We ask that the crumb-bums show self-control by not dropping turds everywhere, but the general Strutter population can't do the same by not engaging them.
    I am for banning only in extreme cases....what they are, I don't know. I didn't even think Superposter should have been banned after he threatened to punch me in my ovaries!
    I guess I wish that we would be the bigger party and ignore them, more than just getting rid of them, you know?

• although i havent been here long enough to really put in my .02 cents, but as someone who admin'd a site with 30,000 members there could be a few things that can be applied before actually pulling the "BAN trigger" is there a warn system in place here?

if not maybe there should be, a simple 3 strikes and your out system depending on the circumstances (some people do deserve teh ban ASAP) troller, spambots and people who generally contribute zero to the community as a whole, yet continue posting shit..

as i didnt really find any rules on this site when i joined there are a few things that might help

MULTIPLE ACCOUNTS.
    Each individual member is entitled to one account per person, by registering a new account you directly violate this rule and your latest account will be removed by a member of the administration team and you will be notified by either personal messenger or by E-mail of the removal of your new account. If you created the new account for a name change or because you forgot your passwords please email a member of the administration team and we will gladly reset your password for you, creating multiple accounts could include an increase in your warn level.

WARN SYSTEM
    1st strike 10% warn level
    2nd strike 50% warn level
    3rd strike 90% warn level with the possible of being shot from a canon from ths site at the mods or admins discretion

if someone recieves an increase in their warn level, lets say 10%, that warn can not decrease unless she/he has proven they arent going to screw around again or after a extended period of time say 6 months or even a year again depending on the situation, obviously it is sumthin that would have to be monitored by staff

another thing that might be added is not having threads about politics, it does nuthin but create issues from site to site and forum to forum, most people cant have a decent convo/debate about a certain topic without it turning into a heated shitfest.

Was "K in Canada" ever banned?

If not, no one should ever be.

Rockadelic said:
    If posting "Fuck The Republicans" is acceptable and isn't destructive then posting "Fuck The Democrats" should be treated the same way

You're presuming:

1) This forum is a democracy. It's not. It's a benevolent monarchy.
    2) This forum is populated equally with people of contrasting political view points. That's also patently untrue. I'd guess we're 90% left-leaning, with a good number of those on the far, radical left. So "Fuck the Republicans" isn't a "destructive" comment to a community where the political views would generally support the sentiment.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Junior said:
    More bans the better IMO.

BAN

J/k For real tho Manny, do your thing.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Wow db beat me to it! Lol

• If we don't ban , then what is the purpose of moderators?

mannybolone said:
    Rockadelic said:
    If posting "Fuck The Republicans" is acceptable and isn't destructive then posting "Fuck The Democrats" should be treated the same way

You're presuming:

2) This forum is populated equally with people of contrasting political view points. That's also patently untrue. I'd guess we're 90% left-leaning, with a good number of those on the far, radical left. So "Fuck the Republicans" isn't a "destructive" comment to a community where the political views would generally support the sentiment.

Wow.......after 5 years on the Strut I was convinced that someone who wanted to silence their political opponents voice, was intolerant, non-inclusive and was afraid of diversity was called a Republican.

The_Hook_Up said:
    If we don't ban , then what is the purpose of moderators?

We should ban folks who rip-off record buyers/sellers....stalk the few female members we have here......use homophobic, racist and abusive language.

But for a political view....It blows my mind that people here feel that way.

It must be a generational thing?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    mannybolone said:
    Rockadelic said:

You're presuming:

Wow.......after 5 years on the Strut I was convinced that someone who wanted to silence their political opponents voice, was intolerant, non-inclusive and was afraid of diversity was called a Republican.

Stating your politics and saying some dumb shit to get attention is different shit.

I'd just like to state that in the interests of fairness I used my three other Soulstrut aliases to spread the voting out.

Btw, dope site you've got here! Have you guys heard that new Drake single? He's really big with the kids and is the newest member of UGK, cosigned by Pimp C from up above! Totally recommend you guys checking him out!

• Rockadelic said:

Funny you say that, as you seem to be the only one crying over the ban here.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    If we don't ban , then what is the purpose of moderators?

Well, not everything which requires moderation necessarily warrants a ban.

batmon said:
    Rockadelic said:
    mannybolone said:
    Rockadelic said:

You're presuming:

Stating your politics and saying some dumb shit to get attention is different shit.

If this place was politically diverse than this....

http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/search_results/ded9bc4775210e988e8fd88d6acf983b/

....would be considered some dumb shit to get attention.

If the goal is the SS community is to guarantee this place stays a bastion of the Left, then yeah, ban away anyone who isn't left leaning.

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Rockadelic said:

Funny you say that, as you seem to be the only one crying over the ban here.

If given the choice between siding with asshurtedness or fighting censorship, I choose the latter.

• I'm going to say something, then I'm going to follow my own advice.

Step away from the internet.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I'm almost never in favour of bans. Besides spammers,etc. For the simple fact you can't truly ban anyone without closing the site to users signing up (invite only steez).

I am in favour of temp bans mind you. And also changing users info and status locations, etc to statements of ridicule.

• Junior said:
    I'd just like to state that in the interests of fairness I used my three other Soulstrut aliases to spread the voting out.

Btw, dope site you've got here! Have you guys heard that new Drake single? He's really big with the kids and is the newest member of UGK, cosigned by Pimp C from up above! Totally recommend you guys checking him out!

baby cover