One Way feat. Al Hudson

dreskieboogiedreskieboogie 951 Posts
edited November 2010 in Strut Central
I just bought this album the other week. So cheap and so good! Really! It doesn't get much deeper than "something in the past". This album also has "pop it" - an amazing disco boogie song and many other worthy tunes.

Am I the only one loving this fantastic album?

Dress

Comments

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    I can't remember which lp it's on, but "Guess You Didn't Know" is my jernt. The twilit bridge between "Summer Madness" and Fatback's "Baby Doll." Get your jaw dropped for pennies.

• The one I am talking about is on MCA 1980. How many does One Way feat. Al Hudson have? Two?

Something in the past:

Thanks,

Dress

• These guys have a lot of records, definitely

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    One Way

* 1979: One Way Feat. Al Hudson (six-track EP featuring "You Can Do It") (1979)
    * 1980: One Way Feat. Al Hudson (full-length album) (1980)
    * 1981: Love Is...One Way
    * 1981: Fancy Dancer
    * 1982: Who's Foolin' Who
    * 1982: Wild Night
    * 1983: Shine On Me
    * 1984: Lady
    * 1985: Wrap Your Body
    * 1986: IX
    * 1988: A New Beginning

• Ok, I had no idea that they had so many albums. Which ones are recommended?

Thanks,

Dress

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    dreskieboogie said:
    I just bought this album the other week. So cheap and so good! Really! It doesn't get much deeper than "something in the past". This album also has "pop it" - an amazing disco boogie song and many other worthy tunes.

Am I the only one loving this fantastic album?

Dress

I'll show my ass here a bit but I first heard "Pop It" when Missy Elliott sampled (read: practically covered) the tune on the album with "Get Ur Freak On." Such a good tune.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    They also recorded an album as Al Hudson and the Soul Partners on ABC around 76-77. I've seen that one a couple of times, but it doesn't pop up nearly as often as the MCA lps and each time I saw it those copies were sealed.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    UK Norvern Icon Richard Searling loves them, that's where I first heard them in the mid 80s. I ride, this is my jernt:

(Worst audio on youtube evar... but it has that groove.)

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    GREAT band.........

• dreskieboogie said:

Something in the past:

Great song, I also love what Pimp C did with it:

• now that i found you...

i'm gonna spend all my time just...

being around you...

light as a feather...

i never touch the ground when...

we are together...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Decent album. I played out a good 3 tracks off that shit IIRC.

• james said:
    I can't remember which lp it's on, but "Guess You Didn't Know" is my jernt. The twilit bridge between "Summer Madness" and Fatback's "Baby Doll." Get your jaw dropped for pennies.

I think there's some Roy Ayers "The Third Eye" in there somewhere, too.

I've been planning to do a One Way mix for a while. Their catalog has serious joints in so many styles and it only gets deeper when you factor in the stuff that they spun off or produced, like Alicia Myers, Oliver Cheatham, etc.

• TDLT02TDLT02 149 Posts
    "Spread Love" (LP version) is one of my all time favourate soulful disco tunes.

The way it starts with the soft keys, and then full on strings, before the guitar riff comes in and 'slam' into the smooth groove with those sweet vocals....

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Cutie Pie has been a longtime favorite

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:
    UK Norvern Icon Richard Searling loves them, that's where I first heard them in the mid 80s. I ride, this is my jernt:

This is NOT One Way.

It's from a group called Round Trip:
    Attached files

Classique:

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    RAJ said:
    J i m s t e r said:

This is NOT One Way.

LOL I guess my mid-80s memory game is mad wheak... Thanks for that.

• They also recorded an album as Al Hudson and the Soul Partners on ABC around 76-77. I've seen that one a couple of times, but it doesn't pop up nearly as often as the MCA lps and each time I saw it those copies were sealed.

And even earlier than that...Al Hudson covered the Chi-Lites'"Love Is" on an Atco single. He may have other early records besides this, but this is the one I have.

Jspr said:

I assumed One Way were Official Little Dude Status bc of the obvious pop hits Let's Talk and You Can Do It. Guess there's more to them...

Wasn't nothing "pop" about One Way. Like Frankie Beverly & Maze or Phyllis Hyman, their popularity was strictly in the hood. I think I remember reading some chart in The Book Of Rock Lists of top-selling soul artists who never made the white pop singles charts; Hyman, Maze and One Way were right in there. One Way's ubiquity in used record stores doesn't surprise me.

Those guys were massive in the early eighties. When I was a teenager, it seemed like somebody was always walking around with one of their LP's under their arms.

• J i m s t e r said:
    RAJ said:
    J i m s t e r said:

This is NOT One Way.

LOL I guess my mid-80s memory game is mad wheak... Thanks for that.

Nah, Raj... that is One Way. Roundtrip has a version too

Thanks for clarifying. Great tune!

• And even earlier than that...Al Hudson covered the Chi-Lites'"Love Is" on an Atco single. He may have other early records besides this, but this is the one I have.

this here (and two more I think on Atco)

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    docfish said:
    And even earlier than that...Al Hudson covered the Chi-Lites'"Love Is" on an Atco single. He may have other early records besides this, but this is the one I have.

this here (and two more I think on Atco)

Yeah! I forgot about the Atco singles. I was thinking about the lp releases at the time.