L.A. Underground.

Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
edited November 2010 in Strut Central
Disclaimer: This thread won't be for everybody.

This new 2Mex song has me reminiscing like crazy.

Please refresh my memory and blow my mind, friends.

Comments

• esskayesskay 221 Posts
    my friend mumbles aka matt fowler w/the beats/production on aceyalone's "all balls don't bounce" record-we used to dig hard back in the days-i heard this record before it came out-good times-young old man talkin

• Since I'm biased I'll let somebody else say that this is the hardest underground/backpacker verse ever. I've transcribed it for you guys and you probably don't even have to hear the song. Reading these lyrics on their own should be proof enough.

(Batmon and Phill, I know you two are Murs fans. Are you familiar with this? It's about 13-14 years old, I think.)

???Now 99% of these motherf*ckers out now don???t know sh*t about selling their own tape, but give these n*ggas a deal, they bad as Superman without the cape. Wait??? / when the album don???t get bought and the label drop your ass you find out you wasn???t as fly as you thought / Caught ground zero, another hometown hero turned has-been, while me and my crew just look at your ass then laugh then throw your tape out the window on the freeway / We finish at night counting our money from selling tapes the G way / And that???s tax-free, now if you ask me, all you signed motherf*ckers need to attend underground college and under me attain the knowledge on how to properly MC / I???m watching Rap City, MTV waiting for somebody to ring the gong, yeah that video???s hella fresh but ain???t got sh* t to do with your song! / Now all these crews will never know the meaning of paying dues but claimed they mastered the lessons, but when they???re holding the drink and the mic in the other hand become the meaning of stage presence / And backstage can???t protect you from the rage of this teenage wonder, make you state your name, rank and serial number before I put you under / and add another stripe to the coat, see I snipe to the throat with full metal jacket tactics cultivated on the streets of mid-city HelL.A. / where n*ggas don???t play that, you say that on a album, you better live it, or give that sh*t a rest / I???m tired of you motherf*ckas not getting put to the test, and I???m not believin??? that you sockin??? n*ggas in the face just for breathin???, deceivin??? the blind, throwin??? out swine to all these starving minds / And you???ll find none to which you can compare me ???cause I ain???t done sh*t unless it???s legendary???B*TCH!???

Plus the video was shot one-take style in the Oakland compound all these fools lived in:

(Don't know why the curse words are edited, though. Weird.)

• The discussion about how a song makes you feel came up in another thread. This song hits me emotionally because I was guilty of this:

"Is it really living when you only say 2 or 3 words to your father a day even though he sleeps in the living room only 2 or 3 feet away? That's why today, I give this song for you to initiate / SunGodSuns lives to appreciate the sunsets..."

The first time I heard this I played it over and over and over for at least an hour straight. Then I called my Dad just to say hello and to tell him I loved him.

I found this comment on the YouTube page:

back in the day I used to listen to this song when I graduated high school in 97, and would chat on yahoo or look for hip hop articles while I looked at my dad on the couch and just thought it was the way it was......

Then my dad died in 2001 in an accident and I thought ...."Man, i never told my dad I love him" Tuff words to swolllow.... the album will always hold a good place in my heart

"Let's burn all the money and crash all the cars, smash all our dreams of becoming a star / Let's go and hug our parents until we start to cry / And watch the world die, watch the world die."

• esskay said:
    my friend mumbles aka matt fowler w/the beats/production on aceyalone's "all balls don't bounce" record-we used to dig hard back in the days-i heard this record before it came out-good times-young old man talkin

Dope! Did he produce "Feet Up On The Table" too? I remember Cut Chemist telling me that he co-produced and/or found the sample for "Greatest Show On Earth" (which was also used on "Jazzy Jeff's Theme" on the Nuyorican Soul LP).

• Also, Xololanxinxo is one of the best rapper names ever.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    Herm said:
    mother*fuckas

• djdaze said:
    Herm said:
    mother*fuckas

???

• dope thread.

i have always loved the spontaneity of this whole scene.
    low budget.
    do it yourself.

in many cases it seems like the process may have gone like this:
    got the idea for a track at 10am,
    smoked four blunts by noon.
    had the fuzzy-sounding sample looped up an hour later.
    played with the dog at the park for a while.
    recorded the lyrics in two takes in someone's living room at 3pm
    and were slangin the cds at a show that same evening.

lo-fi thesaurus rap ??

• WH

• WH

• WH

• Excuse the upper posts^^^

iPhone is buggin.

I was trying to say

WHERES THE KRS "I was there" gremlin??!!

• Thes knows what's up, that's for damn sure.

b/w

I should've titled this thread Can You Find The Level Of Difficulty In This?

• Or You're Just A Puddle Puddle.

• Young double k all up in the 3mg video, check 2:12 behind Murs, damn my brotha looks young.

• Thinner too. Single K.

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    cool thread. know what you mean about those ATU albums. i really enjoyed them as well

• Herm man! Thanks for posting these videos!

All this stuff totally brings me back.

A bunch of my friends went to Hamilton High and they were buddies with the 3MG.

I remember my friend playing me "Sunsprayed" on cassette and thinking that was so dope that they sampled Nirvana.

That song had pretty much just come out and they were already using it!

I also used to street rep for Hive and GoodVibe records so they were always sending me Medusa 12"s and Fat Jack comps.

That was a good fuck'n time for Hip Hop!!!

Thanks again for bringing me back for a little bit!!

• I was surprised to hear Volume 10 on the new KDAy the other day. I was happy.

• esskayesskay 221 Posts
    I don't know if Mumbles produced that track but Matt, Lucas, & myself all used to dig back in tha dizzle

• YES. Shout-out to Day for reminding me of this via the Facebooks.

• Also, anybody have a decent quality mp3 of "Power Of The P?" Actually, any quality would work.

• Mumbles did not produce feet on the table. Completely out of his style, which is very centered around the EPS and loops. I love mumbles. He's got an excellent ear and a distinctive sound.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts

Shouts to Stein!

shouts to Thes!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Big Arch owns this thread!

• "It's like BOOM! I'm in my Lamborghini / Pink, just to make fools think"

b/w

"Walk like a whale"

Martin said:
    planet asia is from fresno.

you say tomato, I say a tomahto

• Woimsah said:
    Martin said:
    planet asia is from fresno.

you say tomato, I say a tomahto

I have never even remotely associated Fresno with LA at all but I did think about this once: In Cali there is a lot of difference between LA and the Bay but outside of this state we all Cali with far more similarities than differences compared to elsewhere.

• I wouldn't consider Asia a LA rapper at all... other than that he is from Fresno and proud of it, he got his start in the Bay with the homies 427, Fanatik, and ABB records. All of his first records were done in the Bay. He was almost made part of the Living Legends at one point....

[/IWasThere]

Ok ok he's from Fresno! christ on crutches!