SF Folks: apartment tips, if you got 'em

JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
edited October 2010 in Strut Central
Hi dude(tte)s,
I'm moving to SF within 4-6 weeks, I'll be up there to check out apartments w/ the lady a few times over the next month. Here's what we're looking for:
1+ bedroom(s)
2nd floor and above
Reasonable distance (15 minutes by foot or bus) to the Caltrain
Not in the Mission because I'm too old for that crap
We're fans of the panhandle area, lower haight, etc., but open to suggestion (portrero, etc)
A parking spot would be nice, but I realize how unrealistic it can be as an expectation
Not looking to move in near too many shitheads.
in-building laundry is good.
Looking for places up to $2k/month-- obviously, lower is desirable.

If you've got any leads, I would appreciate it-- and I'd obviously owe you a few rounds if something works out.

Thanks!

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    JimBeam said:

+

In that case, you're either talking SOMA (downtown station) or Portrero (22nd st Station). I like Portrero myself, especially on the other side of the hill (facing Oakland). Nice area, used to be slept on but I don't think that's the case anymore.

What's wrong with the MIssion though? That's a huge neighborhood; it's not all like 16th and Valencia.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    JimBeam said:

+

In that case, you're either talking SOMA (downtown station) or Portrero (22nd st Station). I like Portrero myself, especially on the other side of the hill (facing Oakland). Nice area, used to be slept on but I don't think that's the case anymore.

What's wrong with the MIssion though? That's a huge neighborhood; it's not all like 16th and Valencia.

right-- i should be more specific: I do not want to live in the american apparel ad part of the mission. I'm aware that there's a lot more to it than that. The southern/western area is more tolerable. Basically, I'm looking to get away from the part of the city that deadbeats from other parts of the country move to to "chill for a while after college"-- I've had more than my fair share of that in SD.

As far as the CalTrain station, yes, either works, but the SOMA station is preferred as there are more express trains (i think). Although the SOMA station has crap for parking... it's a toss up. (the caltrain part is for the lady who has already landed a job, I'm looking more to find a job in or immediately around SF)

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    What about Bernal Heights (live near the Automator!), Outer Mission/Excelsior, Ball Park area- it's been so long since I've lived there I'm not sure about rent these days. Love Portrero Hill.

we'll miss you! But I'll be back in thr Bay one day .....

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Used to love SF as a kid, and I still do, but the rent is too damn high.

Good luck.

JimBeam said:
    mannybolone said:
    JimBeam said:

+

right-- i should be more specific: I do not want to live in the american apparel ad part of the mission. I'm aware that there's a lot more to it than that. The southern/western area is more tolerable. Basically, I'm looking to get away from the part of the city that deadbeats from other parts of the country move to to "chill for a while after college"-- I've had more than my fair share of that in SD.

As far as the CalTrain station, yes, either works, but the SOMA station is preferred as there are more express trains (i think). Although the SOMA station has crap for parking... it's a toss up. (the caltrain part is for the lady who has already landed a job, I'm looking more to find a job in or immediately around SF)

Jim: If you want something within convenient public transit distance of the SOMA station, I think Potrero or eastern Mission (east of Van Ness) are good spots to look in. I think Bernal is a great hood but it's not Caltrain convenient. If you and the wife can do SOMA loft-style living, there's options within walking though I'd be concerned about the cost of rent there.

But yeah, I'd definitely look for spots around Potrero and FYI, the 10 bus line would be the one that would take your wife to the Caltrain station (in that part of town).

Rootless is in Hayes Valley so he might chime in on its convenience but I don't it's that fast getting from there to the SOMA station (this would also put the Lower Haight and Panhandle out of the optimal radius.) If I can ask, where is your wife working?

whoa there, let's not get carried away with the commitment, mang.
    this ain't a wife ;)

PM sent

Jim: If she's open to the 280 as a commute route (and it would be slightly better than 101), that opens up any number of neighborhoods, from the Sunset to Bernal Heights to West Portal, Excelsior, etc. Esp. if it's not a daily commute and she can travel during non-rush hours, there's any number of options.

Portrero would be, again, a strong contender since you can hop onto the 280 AND take a bus to Caltrain from there. And if driving is more likely, then I'd agree that Bernal Heights would be a good option too.

thanks for the advice-- it is appreciated. she is a bit more picky than i am as far as living quarters, so as far as I'm concerned, the more options we have, the better.

i know you've done your time and then some up there, so it's good to get some advice from one of the strut sages.

(if any lurkers out there are absolute balleurs that own or manage some properties: i pay bills on time and i fix something if i break it!)

• I just saw my old corner on some SF rap video. 24/Shotwell. I wouldn't recommend moving there.