Tom Dowd & Language of Music Doc (Latte pass)

fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
edited October 2010 in Strut Central
i just saw this on pbs the other day and it blew me away. its about 6 years old at this point but anyone who is interested in how music has been recorded over the years should check...any appreciators of this doc out there?

Comments

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    shit RULES. it's so good --- very inspiring. highly highly recommended.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Haven't seen this in a while, but this poast makes me wanna see it again. This is the rare doc that i've sat through - intently - 3 or 4 times. The part where he's soloing the Eric Clapton track is really cool from a technical perspective, and the stories he tells are straight face-melt. Really gives you perspective on the early days of the music biz, even if a lot of the BITD dirt is glossed over due to the exclusive focus on dowd.

If I remember correctly, he died right around when it came out, and that made it even more weighty when it was first released.

It was also cool to find out that dude grew up in the building my mom and pops live in. Spit take material..

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Good one.
    It's either in the movie, or I heard it on NPR, he plays just the guitar parts for Layla, and it sounds like pants, then he adds in the piano, and magic.

My favorite music doc right now (can't recommend it enough) is Note By Note: The Making Of Steinway 1073

• I've been meaning to watch this for a few years and never got around to it. thanks for the reminder and recommendations. i watched it last night and enjoyed every minute of it.
    To watch the joy and excitement he gets from talking about music is inspiring. I love people like this. It just reconfirms the passion I have for the path i've been taking in this crazy ass music biz.

• cool, glad you enjoyed...

there are so many great parts but for some reason the part that sticks out to me is when he talks about having worked with blind musicians and learning to really hear shit closely. then in the next scene, he closes his eyes and stops the band to tell them which guitar string is slightly out of tune and by how much.....

also, that part where he plays the duane allman stuff from layla and duane is playing those insane notes right off the top of the neck..

btw-here is the torrent:

http://www.torrentdownloads.net/torrent/911828/Tom+Dowd+&+the+Language+Of+Music