CD-Js Pioneer 800s vs Numark CDX

alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
sup, so i had my heart set on the Numark CDx after trying it out, and im very close to the purchase, but i've just heard that they really aren't that stable/durable, can anyone vouch for that? I dont want to spend 2 grand on sheit that i'l have to keep maintaining. I keep hearing that the Pioneers are stable as hell, but they don't offer as much possibility in creativity as the Numarks. can anyone with actual experience of using either for an extended amount of time(not just trying them at guitar store) give me some feedback? i remember reading a post by silvertone saying he toured with them for a couple of months but they broke down? it doesnt take rocket science to understand how the thing would be fragile with a rotating platter like that...so yeah this is a major investment for myself and i dont want to phuck up. oh and this will be for bedroom use, i wont be transporting them anywhere if that makes a difference. also how is numark for warranty/service if sheit does come up?ps: no need to suggest final scratch or serato for me, i dont have vinyl turntables and for me its only a choice between these two.peaceNadvance for your suggestions. durabiltyorgeniuinabilty/creativibility/closeness to realibility

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    If you've never used vinyl turntables before, there's no reason to get the Numark beyond price.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    If you've never used vinyl turntables before, there's no reason to get the Numark beyond price.

for real huh? the truth is i never used vinyl tts for mixing, so that could be a factor...oh and numarks are actually more than the cdj 800s

• I own the Pioneer 800 and no complaints here. While I dont care for the plastic casing and shit..they are still ok in my book. The only other I have used is the Technics model(just briefly at Guitar Center) and it seemed straight. I do like the larger platter(record like) that the Technics has compared to the Pioneer. As far as comparing specs on the 2..i have no clue.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    I own the Pioneer 800 and no complaints here.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Heres the deal.

the numark tables are much cooler. Everything is ergonomically placed to make shit almost too easy. Feels just like a real record.

But yes, they do tend to be less reliable than the pioneer joints.

If you get some kind of extended waranty protection though you should be straight. It also depends if your getting them for bedroom use, or extensive touring.

If its just in the bedroom, go with the numarks. THey are sick.

Otherwise, the pioneer joints will not break. They are rugged as hell.

THe technics ones are sadly pieces of shit. They looked real cool, but its all just flimsy shiny plastic, and they are a weird size. And they break alot. Not reccomended.

plus, the technics ones sometimes have trouble playing burned cds.

but man, the numark ones are far and away the most fun.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    i have the cdx, and i bought it for the soul purpose that it is EXACTLY like an actual turntable. i use it mostly for bedroom use, and have taken it out to rock a spot a handful of times, with no problems...but if you really don't care whether it has a turntable feel, go with the pioneer, ive heard they are the best for your buck...

• Pioneers do NOT play MP3s, and if you're just using them for bedroom, I'd say go with the numark. The feel and response is just as good, and you get all those dope effects too.

And yesterday, someone brought in a CDJ-800 to the shop AFTER it had been sent to Pioneer for repairs, and it still didn't work. Just would not accept CDs at all. So everything is breakable - it's all in how you treat your stuff.

yeah the lack of mp3 support for the 800s is a letdown, but not much of a problem. i love the effects that come with the cdx aswell and i guess there's a few things u can do on it that u can't do with pioneers...damn still on the fence with this one..leaning towards the 800s for stability...much thanks for the opinions capadres!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    yeah the lack of mp3 support for the 800s is a letdown, but not much of a problem. i love the effects that come with the cdx aswell and i guess there's a few things u can do on it that u can't do with pioneers...damn still on the fence with this one..leaning towards the 800s for stability...much thanks for the opinions capadres!

You may want to wait a month or two for the denon dns-3500. It will probably be cheaper than the cdj-800 and have lots more features.

You may want to wait a month or two for the denon dns-3500. It will probably be cheaper than the cdj-800 and have lots more features.

for real thanks for the info. are there any specs or speculation into the specs behind this thing? thanks