Best program for ripping CDs to MP3?

hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
I'm way behind the times, but I just ordered an iAudio mp3 player (the X5L, for those that care). I use CDex to rip CDs to MP3, but is there a better program? Many of the CDs I'll be ripping are mix CDs, so don't bother recommending anything that puts a little in between tracks where there shouldn't be one.Thanks.

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    EAC (ripper) and LAME (encoder) are what I've been using for the past five years or so.

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    Hogg...not related...but you've been PM'd.

• autezautez 404 Posts
    EAC (ripper) and LAME (encoder) are what I've been using for the past five years or so.
    yeah this is what you need

http://s20.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2W19KK2PAQ8VA29W3G0EBHJDHK

• EAC (ripper) and LAME (encoder) are what I've been using for the past five years or so.
    yeah this is what you need

Damn, Dude! Thanks.

• bropsbrops 182 Posts
    iTunes.

I even use iTunes to put the mp3s onto my old, old mp3 player. All in one. Can't get any better than that.

• slavinslavin 577 Posts
    iTunes.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    The CD ripper for iTunes doesn't have as great error detection as EAC and the LAME encoder is the best one out there. iTunes is easy to use but the quality is lacking.

• iAudio players should come bundled with a program called JetShell, which will encode your CDs to mp3 directly onto your player or your harddrive. Should be gapless, but my iAudio (M3) always has a about a .2 second gap between tracks regardless of the software I used.

• debardebar 215 Posts
    I'm way behind the times, but I just ordered an iAudio mp3 player (the X5L, for those that care). I use CDex to rip CDs to MP3, but is there a better program? Many of the CDs I'll be ripping are mix CDs, so don't bother recommending anything that puts a little in between tracks where there shouldn't be one.

Thanks.

Okay, this is gonna be long and real nerdy, but I collect records, and some would say that's nerdy enough right there:

If you rip to mp3, by nature, there is always going to be a very slight pause because that's just how mp3's are encoded. Depending on what mp3 player you have, these mp3s may or may not play completely gapless (depends on how the firmware of the player was programmed). As far as I know, the Rio Karma is the only portable that plays MP3s completely gaplessly. I believe the X5 & X5L don't play MP3s completely gapless, but we're talking a very short gap, which is better than most other MP3 players. I think the Ipod plays with a 1 second gap, which may not seem like much, but when you're listening to a mix or Pink Floyd, you'll notice that shit

Ideally, if you want complete gapless playback, you should encode to Ogg Vorbis instead of MP3, because there is not a short pause encoded into the files. Also, at the same bitrate, Ogg sounds slightly better with a smaller file size. A 160 kbps (.5Q) Ogg file is only about 5% larger than a 128 kbps MP3, but sounds noticeable better.

However, again, the gapless issue is up to the MP3 player itself, and again, I believe the Rio Karma is the only player that plays Ogg completely gapless. Even though the Ogg codec itself is gapless, the X5 & X5L still plays with a gap on Ogg files (actually currently the gap on Ogg files is more noticeable than MP3s). I think there are firmware upgrades coming though that will improve that.

So basically, what I'm saying is that no matter what program you use, there's always gonna be a gap, because ultimately, it's based on how the MP3 players read your files. But ideally, I think EAC is the best encoder out. I don't use it though, I use dBpowerAmp because it's a lot easier.

Anyways, I could get really, really technical, but it would be 3 times as long, and I don't actually know the specific technical details off the top of my head.

Also, I don't know how familiar you are with the X5, but the way the X5 databases your files is by folders, not by id3 tags. ,So if you have a lot of music make sure your music is organized or you'll have a hell of a time finding songs on your player. If I had one, I'd organize my files & folders like this: Genre/Artist/Album/Song.mp3; but it's entirely up to you. Again, I think a firmware update is coming where the database is based on tags, which is how 90% of portable players out there do it, including the Ipod.

Anyways, the X5 is a really good player, especially the L versions which are supposed to have 30+ (!) hours of battery time, which is incredible for such a large capacity player. I'm gonna be getting one by the end of the year (I have a Rio Karma right now). But I'm probably gonna wait until they implement the Id3 tag database, because I can't be bothered to reorganize my music files right now (I have all my files in one folder).

• CDEx. Fast as hell, nice encoding, easy options, free.

• So I've tried this out, and yes, there's a tiny pause on mix CDs. Nothing will correct that?

• Iriver H140 with ROCKBOX firmware will play LAME encoded MP3s perfectly with no gap, and OGGs.

Rockbox is working on firmware for the iaudio also, so it may be coming soon.

www.rockbox.org