Songs/Albums You Can't Believe Get Overlooked

The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
edited October 2010 in Strut Central
I recently got another copy of Terry Callier's-I Just Can't Help Myself. I'm just stunned that this album gets overlooked for his other LPs. I've had them all, and I listen to a song like "Until Tomorrow" and can't believe people sweat Dancing Girl/What Color and Ordinary Joe/Occasional Rain over this one. This whole album is lushier, more soulful and just better than the other ones. Anyone ride for an album by an artist over their "favored" album, or wanna tackle this Terry Callier situation? I wish there was a youtube for "Until Tomorrow," but unbelievably, no one has put it up.

Comments

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    Depends what you're after. "Lushier" and more soulful? Maybe although the "What colour..." LP was incredibly lush too. Either way I don't think that these are the principal qualities that most Callier fans are seeking. It was his mixing of jazz + folk + soul that initially got my attention decades back when I didn't even listen to soul music atall. What hooked me though and ensured that I'd listen to him continually ever since was the Coltrane-inspired spiritualism that pervaded his style - more "soul baring" than soul-ful.

The tracks that best evoke all these qualities are found on the first and second LPs (Occasional rain - folk / Ordinary Joe - jazzy / Golden Circle + Do you finally need a friend? - folk, soul baring / Dancing Girl - folk-jazz uber spiritual epic / You goiner miss your candyman - jazzy folky bluesy)

Tracks like "Until tomorrow", "Brown eyed lady" "Gotta get closer to you" and "I just can't help myself" from the third album of the same title are more conventional soul outings, albeit lushly orchestrated. That's not a criticism, but might explain why they're less appreciated within the Callier Canon. I prefer "Can't catch the Train" and "Alley Wind Song" by a long mile.

Like I say, it all depends on what you're after, cos credit to the man, across just 3 albums on Cadet , he offered an amazingly rich and varied bag.