Options

Iceland (the country, not the skating rink )

edited October 2010 in Strut Central
I'm headed to Iceland for a bit, leaving in a couple of weeks. Has anyone on here ever traveled there? I'm staying right in Reykjavik and plan on heading to the blue lagoon, trying to see the northern lights, going on long driving tours, hitting up a couple parks and taking loads of pictures. What are other things to do? What to avoid? I'm just missing the Airwaves music festival, couldn't line up my vacation right.

My other half doesn't know that we're going, so the few of you that are on my facebook please dont make any mention of it on there!

Comments

• I was in Reykjavik last year for a bit and would definitely recommend it. It's a pretty small place but had a great atmosphere; a lot of nice bars, cafe's etc (Kaffibarinn is the one most people mention).

Not sure if you'll be looking for records, but there was a nice shop towards the eastern edge of the main city centre (can't remember the name, sorry).

It's bloody expensive there, though.

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    I'm from there but now living in Japan.

There's definitely a lot of spots to hit up but it seems like you have most of the excursions covered. For the northern lights it's best to head out of the city but this spot right here is quite good even though it's in the city. It's by an outdoor sculpture museum by the coast so there's not a lot of streetlights which usually interfere with prime northen light viewing. There's parking there if I remember correctly, otherwise you can walk there from the downtown.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&ll=64.15406,-21.886868&spn=0.011319,0.029483&z=15&msid=117281058168787953733.000492631d14f644697ea

For food, try smoked puffin, plokkfiskur (fish and mashed potatoes, very good) and Icelandic lobster. For lobster, a cheap alternative to The Lobster House restaurant is the Sea Baron which has an excellent lobster soup.

http://maps.google.co.jp/maps/place?cid=9596435519206390749&q=sea+baron+reykjavik&gl=jp&cd=1&cad=src:pplink&ei=NNezTOPNF5usuwOyyeWIDA&sig2=mhdLuV3Uz83n3_McvaowQg

Nothing really to avoid except shopping at 10-11 which is a 24 hour supermarket. It is wildly expensive. Go to Bonus supermarket instead. Also, if you want dried fish (local delicacy) buy it at Kolaportid flea market which is every Saturday and Sunday from 10am-5pm.

If there's anything specific you want to know shoot me a PM.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,901 Posts
    neil_something said:
    It's bloody expensive there.

^^ THIS.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• that fish stew at the 2 (or 3) overcoats (I think thats the name of the restaurant) is delicious...pass on the fetid shark though..yuck, tasted like rubber soaked in ammonia. Get tanked on some Brenivin also. Also, I had some good Thai at a spot by the docks. Didnt have the nerve to try the mexican place though...try to take in Vik...epic beach related.