The New & Improved TECHNICS 1200's

BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
edited October 2010 in Strut Central
Sorry if the title got your hopes up. I was just thinking, if they were to create a new 1200 with a different spin (no pun intended) on the original how do you think they could enhance something that is so perfect to begin with??

Note: This is not a rumor or anything like that. This is just something that has been on my mind lately. I did not read or hear this anywhere.

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Hasn't every turntable company on the planet been trying to work this out the last 20+ years?

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    Hasn't every turntable company on the planet been trying to work this out the last 20+ years?

Yes but, IMO, Technics is the only one that could improve the 1200. All the other companies can't even get the basic turntable right. I just mean what little extra could they sprinkle on top of such a flawless piece to make it that much better? I got my 1st pair in '91 and had them until '05 and when I bought my new ones the only difference was the quartz lock. So to think that the design hasn't really changed in nearly 30 yrs is an awesome feat on its own.

• Easy.
    builty in Phono pre + ADC with these output jacks on the Back:

-10 RCA L R
    +4 XLR L R
    USB

3 Pole High Pass Rumble Filter switch (OFF / 30HZ / 60 HZ)

Ground Lift switch

Please to send royalty checks to me. Thanks.

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,461 Posts
    ^^ that and add some of the mods available, reverse switch, and possibly a 16/78 and blue LEDs..

i found this site a while back: http://www.carbonfiberfilm.com/nggallery/page-28/album-3/gallery-20/

custom platters would be dope as well...not felling the carbon fiber shit..

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    The hard-wired RCA cables have always been a sore point. Replace with RCA jacks and make everyone's life easier.

^^ and another add would be a much better groundwire...

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    invisible dust cover technology??

• djwaxondjwaxon 411 Posts
    Ultra Pitch a la the Vestax PDX series.

• TDLT02TDLT02 149 Posts
    I'd be happy to see the 1200 with a upgraded tonearm as standard issue, plus RCA jacks as already mentioned (for decent interconnect cables to be used).

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    dj_cityboy said:
    blue LEDs....

Light Purple

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    DJBombjack said:
    The hard-wired RCA cables have always been a sore point. Replace with RCA jacks and make everyone's life easier.

Hell YES!! I've spend so much doe getting them fixed. A real pain in the ass.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    DJBombjack said:

After soldering in a new set of cables for a friend of mine the other day, I agree strongly with this.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Snagglepus said:
    DJBombjack said:

After soldering in a new set of cables for a friend of mine the other day, I agree strongly with this.

I don't know why all turntables aren't made this way.

Horseleech said:
    Snagglepus said:
    DJBombjack said:

I don't know why all turntables aren't made this way.

Word. I'm certainly no engineer but considering how easy it is to have this custom-installed, I can't imagine how difficult it would be for most manufacturers to just make it a built-in feature.

Thes: if you have a built-in pre though, wouldn't that fuck with one's ability to plug it into a mixer and make use of a line/phono switch? In essence, you'd be losing half your inputs, no?

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    4YearGraduate said:

USB

say wut ?

damms said:
    4YearGraduate said:

USB

say wut ?

Why not? If it's one of *several* outlet capabilities, it would allow a direct plug into a computer for digitizing purposes. It's not a bad idea.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    damms said:
    4YearGraduate said:

USB

say wut ?
    for digitizing purposes
    of quite poor quality given that via usb the sound is processed before reaching the computer

if your soundcard has a line-in connector you don't need no usb on your table

batmon said:
    dj_cityboy said:
    blue LEDs....

Light Purple

yeah i'd be down with that, i little less trendier then the blue...i am really diggin the custom platter, id like to find out how they went about doing it, it would be a huge pain to attempt to paint around all the dots and have it come out perfect...but the out come is really impressive imo..

damms said:
    mannybolone said:
    damms said:
    4YearGraduate said:

USB

say wut ?
    for digitizing purposes
    of quite poor quality given that via usb the sound is processed before reaching the computer

if your soundcard has a line-in connector you don't need no usb on your table

Yes, but many people's soundcards aren't necessarily going to have superior sound either. If you want the best sound possible, then you'd bypass both a built-in USB OR soundcard option and instead run your turntable through a superior pre-amp and then into a dedicated analog/digital converter. But if you don't want to step up to that, I don't see what the issue is with going direct from TT via USB. Is the sound going to be that much worse than running an RCA/minijack adapter from the turntable's built-in pre-amp into a soundcard?

• My PDX 2000s > 1200s
    I sold three 1200s over time to get my 2000s

• Ok, think my post covered everything thats been said below it but to expand on the USB output thing

(I cant believe I'm doing this for free):

RCA l/r jacks - phonograph level output
    RCA l/r jacks - -10db line level output
    XLR l/r jacks - +4 balanced output (for professional use)
    Internal a/d -> ??? I chose USB because every consumer can use USB and ever pro has a dedicate a/d which would sound better than the internal one/usb. Sure you could truck the digital signal out via Toslink/litepipe or SpDif, but if someone had those input options they damn well Better have an a/d converter somewhere in thier studio too. So as far as I can tell, for consumer digital output USB is a no brainer. If you have a real studio than us the balanced xlr jacks and a real AD with a good clock.

I cant believe no one commented on my ground lift and rumble/subharmonic feedback filter.

I'm hurt

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    mannybolone said:

Yes, but many people's soundcards aren't necessarily going to have superior sound either. If you want the best sound possible, then you'd bypass both a built-in USB OR soundcard option and instead run your turntable through a superior pre-amp and then into a dedicated analog/digital converter.
    I assumed most people use their table with a stereo amplifier
    personally I used this one

you don't need the state-of-the-art soundcard either
    realtek will do

mannybolone said:
    But if you don't want to step up to that, I don't see what the issue is with going direct from TT via USB. Is the sound going to be that much worse than running an RCA/minijack adapter from the turntable's built-in pre-amp into a soundcard?
    rca from the amplifier to the soundcard
    and yes. "that much worse" is subjective anyway but when I tried it did sound worse. why choose a poor method when the cheaper one (tables with built-in usb unit usually cost more) gives better results.

• Actually a proper built in A/D and USB out will sound WAAAAAAAY better than what you outlined above.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    4YearGraduate said:
    Actually a proper built in A/D and USB out will sound WAAAAAAAY better than what you outlined above.
    what company you work for

• Kids Incorporated

4YearGraduate said:
    Kids Incorporated

:beerbang:

• I cant believe no one commented on my ground lift and rumble/subharmonic feedback filter.

One of the best ideas I've heard. Anybody who's played out in various situations knows this would be great.

I'm all for good A/D as well.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    batmon said:
    dj_cityboy said:
    blue LEDs....

Light Purple

i see what you did there.