Gram Parsons

sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
Does anyone celebrate this guy? I've been listening to these alternate Sweetheart of the Rodeo outtakes with him on vocals and shit is fucking amazing? What else? Please suggest more.

Comments

• Oh sure. Its fine to spend five pages talking about laundry tips, but nobody wants to hear about Gram Parsons.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    The expanded Sweetheart Of The Rodeo is fucking fantastic. The Flying Burrito Bros CD anthology Sin City is definitely worth your time if you're into investigating Parsons further, and there was also a two-albums-on-one-CD budget reissue of his G.P. and Grievous Angel albums not so long ago. I don't imagine either would be tough or expensive to cop. Conversely, I find that don't see a great deal of Parsons-related vinyl, although it might be a different story in the US.

• Pick up the reissue of the International Submarine Band's "Safe at Home" (pre-Byrds Gram)

• DocMcCoy said:
    The expanded Sweetheart Of The Rodeo is fucking fantastic. The Flying Burrito Bros CD anthology Sin City is definitely worth your time if you're into investigating Parsons further, and there was also a two-albums-on-one-CD budget reissue of his G.P. and Grievous Angel albums not so long ago. I don't imagine either would be tough or expensive to cop. Conversely, I find that don't see a great deal of Parsons-related vinyl, although it might be a different story in the US.

I also have been listening to the International Submarine Band stuff reissued by Sundazed and that pretty good too, but not on the same plane as the Sweetheart of the Rodeo stuff.

• I don't know too much else by him, but G.P. is one my favorites. I ride.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I ride, the movie that came out about him was cool, as was the biography from a couple years back.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I totally ride - one reason why there is only so much you can say about him is that he has a fairly finite number of releases. ISB, Byrds, FBB, 2 solo LP's, and you are done. It's all great, though.

I too ride for the Sweetheart alternate versions - his voice suits the material so much better than McGuinn's - but in my book nothing tops Gilded Palace of Sin ... Hot Burrito #1 is one of the most heatbreaking recordings ever laid down on tape.

• T
    SoulOnIce said:
    I totally ride - one reason why there is only so much you can say about him is that he has a fairly finite number of releases. ISB, Byrds, FBB, 2 solo LP's, and you are done. It's all great, though.

I too ride for the Sweetheart alternate versions - his voice suits the material so much better than McGuinn's - but in my book nothing tops Gilded Palace of Sin ... Hot Burrito #1 is one of the most heatbreaking recordings ever laid down on tape.

There's also a live radio concert (GP era, recorded at WLIR, I think) that's excellent.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Check the entire Sundazed Byrds/GP catalog - they have a lot of unreleased/alternate stuff available.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I've bought his first LP and a cd with both the Burrito Bros albums, hoping to expand my horizons a bit. I like a couple of songs, but overall I'm not really ready for a full-on country experience. I haven't checked Sweethearts but I love the Byrds so I'm guessing I'll like that one.

But after reading the cd booklet describing the first Burrito Bros as a super essential country rock masterpiece, I feel like I can safely avoid most country from now on.