Captain America

DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
This is quite interesting. It's a blog about the filming of the Captain America movie in Manchester's Northern Quarter.

I can't figure out how to post the photos, but there are a couple of YouTube clips that'll give you a bit of the flavour. This is a part of Manchester City Centre that has bags of period character, and this isn't the first time it's been utilised in a Hollywood movie.

Comments

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    i'll see this movie, but i can't see it being good. i still have hope for the avengers tho.

• Is the mafia in it?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I heard years ago that they were gonna do a Trilogy.

Cap in the WW2 era 40's .

Reemergence from Suspended Animation circa 60. war hero adjustment story.

present time story.

On the real. Im no 9-11 bitch, but we have been in the superhero era for a minute.

Cap is the glue to BIND all the Marvel universe mythology.

Jack Kirby lives!!

funky16corners said:
    Is the mafia in it?

Wasnt Mussolini part of the AXIS powers?

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    batmon said:

Jack Kirby lives!!

• Options
    SIRUS said:
    batmon said:

Jack Kirby lives!!

Jacob Kurtzberg and Stanley Lieber rock eternal.

THOR

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    This will be the end result.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,898 Posts
    It's a part of town I know well. Just surprises me they chose Manchester - is it now cheaper than Hollywood/NYC/Canada including the travel? Or have they heard about Rusholme and got the curry madness?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:
    It's a part of town I know well. Just surprises me they chose Manchester - is it now cheaper than Hollywood/NYC/Canada including the travel? Or have they heard about Rusholme and got the curry madness?

It's all about the architecture, apparently. Quite a bit of the NQ supposedly looks a lot like old New York, and I have noticed some resemblance to certain parts of Greenwich Village. Same with parts of Liverpool (Toxteth in particular), which have also depped for NYC of old in at least two productions I'm aware of.

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts
    Boys knicker flapper suits... :oh_my:

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    This is quite interesting. It's a blog about the filming of the Captain America movie in Manchester's Northern Quarter.

@ 2:19, a "tattoo parlour" in brooklyn? FAIL...

I think this footage may have been shot before all the set dressing had gone up.

This flick is right up there with The Dark Knight.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    Saw this recently and although I was expecting it to suck, I was pleasantly surprised. I enjoyed the production design, tone and action sequences. A well balanced mix. More fun than Green Lantern or Thor, if I had to compare it to recent superhero jawns.
    And I thought Hugo Weaving was great as Red Skull.

staxwax said:
    Saw this recently and although I was expecting it to suck, I was pleasantly surprised. I enjoyed the production design, tone and action sequences. A well balanced mix. More fun than Green Lantern or Thor, if I had to compare it to recent superhero jawns.

yup.

did you catch the Human Torch cameo at the expo?

i didnt like their version of Bucky but i guarantee that youll see the Winter Soldier down the line.

that actress was workin that heavy dark red lipstick like a muthafucka.

the British cat in the beret Farnsworth is Union Jack.

batmon said:
    staxwax said:

yup.

did you catch the Human Torch cameo at the expo?

i didnt like their version of Bucky but i guarantee that youll see the Winter Soldier down the line.

that actress was workin that heavy dark red lipstick like a muthafucka.

Missed the human torch.
    I want a Namor The Sub Mariner movie.

Hayley Atwell

batmon said:
    Hayley Atwell

Yes she was fine - she had that continental intellect thing going on plus she knocked a guy in the mouth which is always a good thing for a broad to be self confident like that.

The kind of lady you could blap and have a convo with - no homo.

• batmon said:

is this to say that you disliked the dark knight?

this was a little too juvenille and under-written for my tastes.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    this movie is just ok

manly boobs though

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I was catching up with a friend I don't see that often the other day and we were rattling off all the comic movies from the last couple of years, and I said Captain America was surprisingly my favorite. I admit it may have been the low expectations, but I just enjoyed the hell out of it. It had the flavor of Jack Kirby.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I liked Captain America, but thought it was a little long. Out of the summer superhero movies I thought Thor was the best. It had some of the same elements as the Iron Man series, namely that it didn't take itself seriously, had some witty dialogue, and good action.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    batmon said:

is this to say that you disliked the dark knight?

this was a little too juvenille and under-written for my tastes.

For real. You gotta be outta your fuckin mind to compare this to Dark Knight. I just got done watching it and while I can suspend disbelief with all of these type of flicks, basic shit like dude crashing a plane full of bombs that could destroy 5 major cities and the PLANE IS STILL IN ONE PIECE? The fuck outta here. That's insulting my mental. There were a bunch of other points but yeah, no connection to the characters and a lot of things that made me be like "come on now". Anytime you get taken out of a flick for any reason is an L.

TL;DR It was what I expected.

Also this.

motown67 said:
    Out of the summer superhero movies I thought Thor was the best.

As a comic geek im probably extra sensitive cause ive waited a long ass time for a Captain America movie and shit was above par for me. It wasnt corny and didnt try too hard with comedy like the Iron Man flicks.
    I actually like Iron Man 2 more than Iron Man. Thor was good but not better than Cap. Thor spent too much time on Natalie Portman....way to much time. Nigga servin eggs and shit. Fuck outta here. And the Loki climax was weak.

Dark Knight has become the measuring stick.
    Cap for me had the nostalgia and hella insider comic shit - The Human Torch, Union Jack,Bucky(wack) Shield Flying Car, The Cosmic Cube,Arnim Zola (with the magnifiyer glass introduction shot referencing his future costume as a video screen face in a robot),and The Howling Commandos, the shield in front of the motorcycle referencing the tv show. Batman doesnt do that, despite being the better flick. Cap embraces it comic book origins. Batman tries to make it real.
    Cap has so many "oh shit they put that in there!" moments that compensates for the regular ass storyline.
    Plus NO LOVE STORY.

I got Captain America in the same room as The Dark Knight for me, but I totally see why folks think thats crazy talk.
    Not equal just right there in the race riding with the lead pack...imo.

Finally caught this and I really enjoyed it. Although I liked Thor, I found it a little disappointing in comparison, and thought it looked much more like a set-up exercise for the Avengers movie than this did.

It's interesting what you say about the comic-book geek references - the way they've been worked into the recent Marvel movies has been pretty slick, particularly the throwaway introduction of Hawkeye in the Thor movie. They've done it in that Tarantino-esque kind of way, in that comic-book heads will get a kick out of it, but it won't crimp your enjoyment of the movie(s) if you're not up on the references. I had to explain to my girl who the Howlin' Commandos were, but it wouldn't have made the slightest bit of difference if I hadn't known.

I also thought Chris Evans made a pretty convincing Cap. For me, his Johnny Storm was the most irritating thing in either of those crappy Fantastic Four movies, and his casting in the lead here didn't fill me with optimism. But he did a pretty good job at giving the character a bit of heart amongst all the CGI, although the pre-serum scenes looked kind of weird. I think the Avengers movie is going to be a lot of fun.

Rip Joe Simon

Joe Simon, the original creator of the classic comic book "Captain America," has died at the age of 98. Smith died in New York City following a brief illess, reports eonline.com.

Simon and his partner Jack Kirby created the comic in 1941 and it was distributed by Timely Comics, which was an early predecessor to Marvel. The first edition was released before the Pearl Harbor attacks and were wildly popular, moving over a million copies from news stands. The first edition "Captain America #1" saw the superhero punching Adolph Hitler in the face.

Simon's family spoke on Joe's legacy in an official statement on his passing, noting: "Together, the team created Captain America as well as long list of characters, including the Newsboy Legion and the Boy Commandos."

For comments and feedback: contact editorial@rttnews.com

Anthony Mackie as The Falcoln in Captain America II: The Winter Soldier......

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    i'm glad mackie is working, i just wish it was a better part than the falcon. where is brother voodoo?