Al Tariq

Fratton79Fratton79 25 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
I see there's finally a reissue of his God Connection album coming out, been looking for that for years. Is it any good? Always loved the Do Your Thang 12 I had.

Comments

• i still listen to it. best tracks are mostly produced by the beatnuts and have them dropping lyrics too.
    not sure who produced this, but this was real tight:

peace akki is ridiculous. juju has a good verse.
    all over the track is great. les kills it

i want to know why fashion doesnt have arms on the LP cover

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I like the album pretty much in full, altho some of the tracks at the end are throwaway.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Unnecessary

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    Unnecessary

agreed

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    jammy said:
    faux_rillz said:
    Unnecessary

agreed

I rode hard for the cuts in the album that I liked but I do remember it being a little too long and meandering at the end. What they should have done was to just cut the shit and make a comp of Beatnuts side projects like Missing Links, Problems etc... Or just do a Correct Records comp.

Then again, if people buy it, who's to knock them?

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    Cosmo said:
    jammy said:
    faux_rillz said:
    Unnecessary

agreed

I rode hard for the cuts in the album that I liked but I do remember it being a little too long and meandering at the end. What they should have done was to just cut the shit and make a comp of Beatnuts side projects like Missing Links, Problems etc... Or just do a Correct Records comp.

Then again, if people buy it, who's to knock them?

good point. nobody!

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    Al Tariq son is one of those straight up and down dudes that has heads coming up to the decks on some 'yo man what was that shit you just played' just about when you brush em off on some screwface better be doing your homework rather than fukkin with that kanye and gaga and al that day-glo pop shit you nincumpoops be riding for, son. for real.

• Yeah had that Crime Pays 12 when it came out. Always loved Beatnuts, Kurious etc.

As a Euroman I couldn't find the album anywhere (not that I made a major effort to track it down though). I'm just a sucker for mediocre 90's hip hop, not quite moved with the times yet...

staxwax said:
    Al Tariq son is one of those straight up and down dudes that has heads coming up to the decks on some 'yo man what was that shit you just played' just about when you brush em off on some screwface better be doing your homework rather than fukkin with that kanye and gaga and al that day-glo pop shit you nincumpoops

Worst poast ever

• Fun fact; if I remember correctly, Nu-mark executive produced this project on the low as a rep for the label.

On a related note, I was always thought the Grav 12" snake bite was decent.

• staxwax said:
    Al Tariq son is one of those straight up and down dudes that has heads coming up to the decks on some 'yo man what was that shit you just played' just about when you brush em off on some screwface better be doing your homework rather than fukkin with that kanye and gaga and al that day-glo pop shit you nincumpoops

Worst poast ever

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I gave the tape a run on the way down to Philly a few weeks ago And it definitely didn hold up the way I remembered. Beats are great, and there are some cool instrumental interludes, but fash is boring as hell with the Sex rhymes.

Possum Tom said:
    I gave the tape a run on the way down to Philly a few weeks ago And it definitely didn hold up the way I remembered. Beats are great, and there are some cool instrumental interludes, but fash is boring as hell with the Sex rhymes.

The whole album sounds like stuff that was rightly left off of a Beatnuts record. It's not terrible, but if you have the Beatnuts catalog, there's just no reason to ever pull it out.

I know Fash was supposedly drafted into the crew to be the main rapper, because Les and Juju viewed themselves primarily as producers, but I always thought that they were both much better than Fash--definitely more interesting and distinctive.

I think the best thing Correct ever put out was that Black Attack "Verbal Attack" 12"

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    faux_rillz said:

I know Fash was supposedly drafted into the crew to be the main rapper, because Les and Juju viewed themselves primarily as producers, but I always thought that they were both much better than Fash--definitely more interesting and distinctive.

I never thought that much of Fashion. He's not wack or anything, just pretty Juju and Les are much more entertaining.

• cosine. his verses were utterly forgetable whereas les and juju had some great lines over their careers. it must suck to be outrapped by your producers.