Odyssey LP on Mowest, pressing question

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
Finally copped this LP...pretty clean overall but there's slight distortion at the upper range of vocals on the key songs and I've noticed this on at least one other copy of "Our Lives" I DLed on the interweb. Was this album known to have shitty pressing problems?

Comments

• I don't know about this record, but Mowests in general are not good pressings.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    A lot of Motown and Motown subsidiary pressings from that period were flawed, especially those pressed at the RCA pressing plant. You can identify the RCA pressed ones by the flimsy dyna-flex vinyl.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    yeah, im pretty sure i recall both having encountered this record on the super thin dynaflex vinyl, and a thicker pressing.. cant remember if there was a sound difference though..

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I don't think mine is on dynaflex. Still sounds a bit crappy though.

• mannybolone said:
    I don't think mine is on dynaflex. Still sounds a bit crappy though.

Getting one of these may fix that:

Yeah. Pity "Battened Ships" isn't on 7" too.

• mannybolone said:
    This. If there was a 7 of Our Lives...b/w Battened Ships then I wouldn't bother lusting after a copy of the LP unless it turned up cheap.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    djmario said:
    mannybolone said:
    This. If there was a 7 of Our Lives...b/w Battened Ships then I wouldn't bother lusting after a copy of the LP unless it turned up cheap.

Yeah this, straight up. But for real someone should just sell me a copy of "Our Lives" 7" immediately. Like just do it, holmes. Lemme get that.

• djmario said:
    mannybolone said:

Two tracker really

djmario said:
    mannybolone said:

Ha, I'm sure we could fill a monster thread with "LPs cuts you wish were on a single 7""

• LP was also released in the UK on Mowest via EMI with laminated sleeve, no flimsy vinyl or distortion problems.

• I can vouch for the UK press, thick vinyl and no issues soundwise....

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    So I hope someone on here wants to sell me that 7".