Forty Two Years And Still Nothing Heavier

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
By coincidence the first LP I ever bought.....I just listened to it again after a 15 year hiatus....and I've still never heard anything heavier on the most very basic levels.

Comments

• An all-time classic, and the beginning of heavy metal, imo.

I too had to give them a rest after listening a million times, but will return soon.

I got to meet Dickie Peterson when he came into my store before a gig - he was super-cool and knew it.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Just sick

• Options
    An absolute staple and I'd say much more influential than a lot of people think.

I'm not sure it's "heavier" than stuff like the Coloured Balls or Motorhead but it's right up there.

Nothing with castrati vocals should be in the discussion.

• Options
    Haha, I can't help but to laugh.

Blue Cheer played in Sacramento at the Blue Lamp a few years back. I went with the love of my life and took with me the Vincebus Eruptim Lp and the Oxford Circle 45.

My love did not have an ID so we didn't get in. It started to rain so, I put the 45 inside the Lp cover and put them both under my shirt. I didn't notice but the 45 fell out from under my shirt, in front of the door, as we walked back to the car. When we got back I had left the headlights on in the car and the battery was dead. So, I went back to the venue to see if the bouncer would give me a jump. I saw he was standing on the 45. It was a good thing though because that prevented this other guy from taking off with it. I got it back and it had a small scratch on the surface but still played like new. Major mess ups all over the place at this point. When I got back to the car my love was cold and scared. We finally got a jump from a neighbor and drove home. That is when I totally embarrassed myself by losing my temper. I like totally lashed out at her and it wasn't her fault at all. I was mean, cursed, and it was appalling.

I am so sorry about the whole night. What i did and the way I acted was selfish and not at all admirable. But, she was returned home, like the 45, emotionally scared but still played like new. I won't do that again.

Lilmonstu

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    By coincidence the first LP I ever bought.....I just listened to it again after a 15 year hiatus....and I've still never heard anything heavier on the most very basic levels.

Ha! Awesome that this was the first LP you bought. It is heavy heavy heavy shit indeed.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    bluesnag said:
    Awesome that this was the first LP you bought. It is heavy heavy heavy shit indeed.

on Heaviest First LP Purchased...wtf? Blue Cheer was your first album purchase? How cool/uncool were your parents?

I don't think it's the heaviest ever EVER, but judged against its contemporaries, on the heavycurve...probably.

but dude: first album ever is Blue Cheer? Your mom wears army boots bro wtf comeonsrsly...what were the other kids listening to?

• my fave "meeting a legend" moments was hanging out with Dickie a few years back and burnin' one with him as he regailed me with tales of Iggy dosing him, arguing with Michael Bloomfield and general 60s nuttiness....RIP

Love that band...I had a cassette of Vincebus in a little boom box in my gym locker in high school.

Heavy.

• dukeofdelridge said:
    bluesnag said:
    Awesome that this was the first LP you bought. It is heavy heavy heavy shit indeed.

on Heaviest First LP Purchased...wtf? Blue Cheer was your first album purchase? How cool/uncool were your parents?

I don't think it's the heaviest ever EVER, but judged against its contemporaries, on the heavycurve...probably.

but dude: first album ever is Blue Cheer? Your mom wears army boots bro wtf comeonsrsly...what were the other kids listening to?

Duke: it should be mentioned that Blue Cheer were insanely popular in their time. They weren't cult heroes; you didn't have to dig that deep to find them. "Summertime Blues" was a Top 20 hit, Vincebus Eruptum was a Top 20 album, they were heard on the radio and seen on TV. STILL a cool first-record choice for young Rockadelic...

Although I do remember reading an amusing tale in a long-defunct CD magazine about how the author (Ben Hamper) was maybe thirteen or fourteen in '68 and got a lot of paralyzing stares at a school dance when he tried to sneak Blue Cheer's "Summertime Blues" onto the turntable...all the other kids wanted to dance to "Yummy Yummy Yummy" or something...

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    dukeofdelridge said:

I spent most of the Summer of '68 at my grandmother's house at 52nd & L in Brooklyn.....bought the LP on sale at Red's Toy Store having only heard the "hit" Summertime Blues...........my grandma didn't care for it so I had to listen to it either in the basement or on the front stoop.....the rest of the neighborhood was mostly Italian.....my closest friend there was into R&B, Motown and the hits of the day.

I guess in reality it was the second LP I ever bought.....a couple of years earlier the girl who lived upstairs from us and was President of the local Beatles Fan Club gave me a copy of Rubber Soul for my birthday.....I made my mother bring it back to the store and exchange it for a copy of The Smothers Brothers Live @ The Purple Onion LP.

Yes, I've told this story here before....my apologies to those who read it twice.

• dukeofdelridge said:

at 52nd & L in Brooklyn.....

Rock from the block.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i picked this up because it was your avatar years ago
    still play it regularly and have recommended it half a dozen times

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    dang I didn't know they were that popular.

and then Rock waffles on "my first elpee" claim?

this story's starting to STINK!

haha honestly though, "yummy yummy yummy" is exactly what I wanted the rest of the kids to want.