Options

Hendrix Box Coming

edited September 2010 in Strut Central
The first disc is all pre-Experience stuff. The Hendrix Family is behind this, it's not a boot. Title is "West Coast Seattle Boy."

DISC 1:
1. Testify (The Isley Brothers)
2. Mercy, Mercy (Don Covay)
3. Can't Stay Away (Don Covay)
4. My Diary (Rosa Lee Brooks)
5. Utee (Rosa Lee Brooks)
6 I Don't Know What You Got But It's Got Me (Little Richard)
7. Dancing All Around The World (Little Richard)
8. I'm So Glad (Frank Howard & The Commanders)
9. Move Over And Let Me Dance (The Isley Brothers)
10. Have You Ever Been Disappointed (The Isley Brothers)
11. Help Me (Get The Feeling) Part One (Ray Sharpe)
12. (My Girl) She s A Fox (The Icemen)
13. That Little Old Groove Maker (Jimmy Norman)
14. Sweet Thang (Billy Lamont)
15. Instant Groove (King Curtis)

DISC 2:
1. Fire (previously unreleased alternate recording)
2. Are You Experienced? (previously unreleased recording)
3. May This Be Love (previously unreleased alternate recording)
4. Can You See Me (previously unreleased alternate recording)
5. The Wind Cries Mary
6. Love Or Confusion (previously unreleased alternate recording)
7. Little One (previously unreleased recording)
8. Mr. Bad Luck (previously unreleased alternate recording)
9. Cat Talking To Me (previously unreleased alternate recording)
10. Castles Made Of Sand (previously unreleased recording)
11. Tears Of Rage (previously unreleased recording)
12. Hear My Train A Comin (previously unreleased recording)
13. 1983 (A Merman I Shall Turn To Be) (previously unreleased recording)
14. Long Hot Summer Night (previously unreleased recording)
15. My Friend (previously unreleased recording)
16. Angel (previously unreleased recording)
17. Calling All The Devil s Children (previously unreleased alternate recording)
18. New Rising Sun (previously unreleased alternate recording)

DISC 3:
1. Hear My Freedom (previously unreleased recording)
2. Room Full Of Mirrors (previously unreleased recording)
3. Shame, Shame, Shame (previously unreleased recording)
4. Messenger (previously unreleased recording)
5. Hound Dog Blues (previously unreleased recording)
6. Untitled Basic Track (previously unreleased recording)
7. Star Spangled Banner [LIVE] (previously unreleased original mix)
8. Purple Haze [LIVE] (previously unreleased original mix)
9. Young/Hendrix (previously unreleased alternate recording)
10. Mastermind (previously unreleased recording)
11. Message To Love (previously unreleased alternate recording)
12. Fire [LIVE] (previously unreleased recording)
13. Foxey Lady [LIVE] (previously unreleased recording)

DISC 4:
1. Stone Free [LIVE] (previously unreleased recording)
2. Burning Desire (previously unreleased recording)
3. Lonely Avenue (previously unreleased recording)
4. Everlasting First (previously unreleased alternate recording)
5. Freedom (previously unreleased recording)
6. Peter Gunn/Catastrophe (previously unreleased alternate recording)
7. In From The Storm (previously unreleased alternate recording)
8. All God s Children (previously unreleased recording)
9. Red House [LIVE] (previously unreleased recording)
10. Play That Riff (previously unreleased recording)
11. Bolero (previously unreleased recording)
12. Hey Baby (New Rising Sun) (previously unreleased alternate recording)
13. Suddenly November Morning (previously unreleased recording)

"West Coast Seattle Boy - The Jimi Hendrix Anthology includes the 90 minute DVD Jimi Hendrix: Voodoo Child, a new documentary directed by the Grammy award winning Bob Smeaton (Beatles Anthology, Festival Express, Beatles: The Studio Recordings). The acclaimed documentary tells Jimi's incredible story in his own words. The documentary features some of Jimi's greatest performances as well as rare and never before seen footage and photos. Jimi Hendrix: Voodoo Child also includes--for the first time ever???examples from the Hendrix family archive of the late guitarist???s personal drawings, postcards home to his father, song drafts, sketches, and lyrics. Jimi's interviews and private writings shed new insights within the extraordinary life and career of the greatest guitarist of all time. "

Due out in November and Amazon has it up for preorder at 56 bucks.

I'm in.

Comments

• That first disc is odd. 'Help Me' and 'Instant Groove' both use the same backing track and it's Cornell Dupree on lead, Hendrix on rhythm.

• I used to have a bootleg of "pre-experience jams" all instrumentals with the experience lineup. It was only like 30 minutes and I can remember it had an amazing version of third stone from the sun (amazing because it was a live studio jam without any of the effects except those he could produce live and at the point where the song changes into the violin like sound he couldnt get the sound at first and the drums and bass just stop while he keeps trying to get the feedback, squeek, no, squeeek, no, squeeeeek, no. Then it finally kicks in long sustained deep "wahhhhhhhhhhhhh" and then the bass and drums come back in and they jam out the rest of the song), and I think purple haze, and I know it had a star spangled banner which I always thought was strange because he didn't really play that song until later. But anyway, if anyone knows what this was let me know Ive been looking for this for years.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Third Stone From the Sun has to one of my faves by Hendrix and the jam you described above sounds splendid. I state this despite my reluctance to admit having something in common with Saba. For you, Jimi.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I guess ill up some more cash for a fourth unreleased version of Jimi's shit.

I still havent really devoured the last box.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    These bitches better explain what the hell is the Original MIX of the Star Soangled Banner.

Cmon - what ....Juma's percussion was supressed by the soundman?

• Unfortunately doesn't include the jam I was looking for, but has a lot of great stuff.

IMO the 66-67 Are You Experienced and Axis Bold as Love sessions are his best. The BBC studio sessions from the same period come in close second.

http://www.guitars101.com/forums/f90/jimi-hendrix-the-1966-1967-studio-outtake-recordings-103072.html

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    It is mental that unreleased/alternate studio stuff is still coming to light. I really wonder about some of these claims. Sounds like a cool box set though.

• Options
    holmes said:
    It is mental that unreleased/alternate studio stuff is still coming to light. I really wonder about some of these claims. Sounds like a cool box set though.

There have been so many Hendrix boots that I wonder, too. But at 56 bucks this is a no-brainer for me.

• I would just dig a 45 of "move over and let me dance"...the box would be nice, but I would really dig that tune on a 45...

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    8-LP version for $95 .

http://www.amazon.com/West-Coast-Seattle-Boy-Anthology/dp/B003YDZV9U/ref=sr_1_3?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1284813091&sr=8-3

Doesn't look like it comes with the DVD though. I WANT IT NOW DADDY.

• why didnt they put Hendrix raer on it like The Upsetters "Cabbage Greens" and other high-dollar and elusive sides?...frustrating. But they probably will put another box out in 5 years

• P
    The_Hook_Up said:
    why didnt they put Hendrix raer on it like The Upsetters "Cabbage Greens" and other high-dollar and elusive sides?...frustrating. But they probably will put another box out in 5 years

None of the Lonnie Youngblood stuff either...

• im curious about the sequencing of the first disc...some folks say the Rosa Lee Brooks single is Jimi's first recording but Ive always been under the impression that the Covay was his first...but they start the disc off with "testify" but the use of delay on the track has always given me the impression that it was a bit later than '64 (the year of the Brooks and Covay sides)...anybody know?

• The_Hook_Up said:
    why didnt they put Hendrix raer on it like The Upsetters "Cabbage Greens" and other high-dollar and elusive sides?...frustrating. But they probably will put another box out in 5 years

Vol. 2?

• The_Hook_Up said:
    I would just dig a 45 of "move over and let me dance"...the box would be nice, but I would really dig that tune on a 45...

just found out this was released as a 45 on Atlantic, I always thought it was an prev. unreleased thingy...

The_Hook_Up said:

i thought this was debunked a couple years back that it wasn't Hendrix on that recording?

The_Hook_Up said:
    im curious about the sequencing of the first disc...some folks say the Rosa Lee Brooks single is Jimi's first recording but Ive always been under the impression that the Covay was his first...but they start the disc off with "testify" but the use of delay on the track has always given me the impression that it was a bit later than '64 (the year of the Brooks and Covay sides)...anybody know?
    Testify - Early 64
    Covay - Mid 64
    Rosa Lee Brooks - early 65

• holmes said:
    The_Hook_Up said:
    im curious about the sequencing of the first disc...some folks say the Rosa Lee Brooks single is Jimi's first recording but Ive always been under the impression that the Covay was his first...but they start the disc off with "testify" but the use of delay on the track has always given me the impression that it was a bit later than '64 (the year of the Brooks and Covay sides)...anybody know?
    Testify - Early 64
    Covay - Mid 64
    Rosa Lee Brooks - early 65

I had it all messed up...

• http://www.divshare.com/download/12603540-6b0

I've been into Hendrix since I was in 10th grade and pretty much thought I had heard it all. All the german imports, dozens of bootlegs from shows in Europe, Canada, the Berkeley Theater shows, all over California, complete shows from the Fillmore East, Isle of Wight, Woodstock, Record Plant Jams, all of it.

But this track caught me totally by surprise and I can't stop listening to it. It'is absolutely insane and from my favorite Jimi LP. If you've never heard it before wait until you can listen to it on headphones LOUD. You only get one chance to hear it for the first time. When you strip away all the layers of production and get down to the basic trio, you see why he was the greatest. It seems to go on forever, and then when it finally ends you wish it would just keep going.

• double post

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    sabadabada said:

Dear lord this is fantastic, channelling energy right through my skull. Never heard it before, thanks Saba.

• It looks like the same person who posted the Axis Bold as Love sessions posted the complete Electric Ladyland sessions, hundreds and hundreds of tracks, but the links are all dead.

http://www.guitars101.com/forums/f90/jimi-hendrix-may-1967-january-1968-electric-ladyland-sessions-81089.html

what a drag, i wish i could find these.

• Options
    Junior said:
    sabadabada said:

Dear lord this is fantastic, channelling energy right through my skull. Never heard it before, thanks Saba.

Cosign, that's spectacular.

• PelvicDust said:
    Junior said:
    sabadabada said:

Cosign, that's spectacular.

when he steps on that fuzz box things get pretty out of control.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I Don???t Know What You Got But It???s Got Me (Little Richard)

This song is choice (and cheap). I wish the Vee-Jay pressings weren't always so shitty. Regrind vinyl is a definite possibility.