Any

JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,894 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
Just checking the new w.w.w. jernt. File under "Grwn/Sxy HH" or "Damn foll you still got a Soulquarian Jones?"

I will ride for it regardless, some nice tracks on there and it gives the car subwoofer a workout. Amusing promo here:

Comments

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Didn't realise that he had a new joint out. Always has been one of my favourite (new) soul singers.

• I've been following Dwele since the debut LP, RIZE (1998). His later output never did much for me, but there are some JAMS on the first joint:

Oh and I'm sure the Strut was up on his MJ "Human Nature" tribute last year. The very end still gives me chills....just perfect:

• Rize is amazing. wish Beep Me and the like had come out officially too. his cover of Startin' Somethin is great too.

Subject i didn't really like, apart from The Truth.

Some Kinda... had its moments. Flapjacks, A Pimps Dream. better than Subject overall.

Didn't really like Sketches Of A Man

haven't got the new one

he's brilliant live, saw him many times over the years - the best was in a double bill with Jaguar Wright. they blew everyone away.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Hello friends,

"Truth" is a killer track for me. It's old (2004?), but still quite good.

I also did not know he had new stuff out. Will definitely checkout. Thanks for the heads-up!

Kindly,
    parallax

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    always liked this one:

Where to start with this dude? Older stuff? Newer stuff? Knowledge me..

• I like Dwele--he has a great voice and more than a few songs I really dig--but sometimes, his lyrics just ruin it for me.

You're so beautiful, more than a man could ever want
    Got me looking for Ashton to see if I'm being Punk'd

• I would'nt completely discount sketches of a man, after all:

But yeah, prefer his earlier work.

I hear what your saying on the lyrics. He can be kinda lazy sometimes for lack of a better term.
    I always thought Subject was his first LP. I'll have to track down Rize.

• didn't rize come out on bling 47? can't remember

he's had some good "featurings" as well. one i always come back to - Slum Village - Tainted.

Slept on joint - New Sector Movements feat Dwele - The Sun. Get the remix 12" with the Dwelology and Dwele's motor city remixes on it - both dope.

This was dope.

Also liked the track that he did with Bahamadia Philadelphia. Discogs lists Rize as having no label.

• wajeed helped him with rize i think

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,102 Posts
    kicks79 said:
    I hear what your saying on the lyrics. He can be kinda lazy sometimes for lack of a better term.

I agree about his sometimes questionable lyrics, but I'm not sure if he's a bad lyricist as much as a quirky one. I mean, I think it's partly his style, and you can either hate it or love it.

There's a line about MySpace in this one that almost ruined it for me when I first heard this album, but I learned to deal with it: