Opening a locked record box

maxveritechmaxveritech 87 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
Anyone had any experience opening one of these?

While moving some of my boxes of 45s around, the lid on this old Decca snapped shut. When I went to open it, it seemed stuck solid. Never happened before and when I bought the box second-hand from a local dealer it came with no keys, so I'm between a rock and a hard place.

Plenty of records in there I want to get but at the same time I love the box as well and wouldn't want to destroy it to get the wax, but if it comes down to it, I will.

Jigging a hair clip around in the lock hasn't done much so very open to anyone's advice about getting to my wax while preserving the box!

cheers
Max

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I'm sure I could open it in seconds, but I don't have enough info from the pic to give you instructions, nor have I had one of these before, but....
    1) It is not a good, or unique lock and will open easily.
    2) Get as many different luggage and small pad lock keys as possible and jiggle them around in there until it pops.
    3) Can you see under the lock to mechanism? Just a little bolt through a loop? Slide a screw driver in there and tap that bolt back a fraction and the flap will pop open. Wont damage the lock, but you might want to damage the lock because it looks like it locks each time it is closed.

Should be easy.

• Cheers Wolf, you're a deadset legend! Worked an absolute treat!

• Cool Decca box.