Options

Any KISS fans up in here?

edited September 2010 in Strut Central
Comparable to 'Back In The USA' era MC5 and the New York Dolls, only KISS had more better songs than the Dolls.

Strutter
Cold Gin
Deuce
Black Diamond
Got To Choose
Parasite
Goin' Blind
Hotter Than Hell
Watchin' You
Room Service
Two Timer
Ladies In Waiting
Rock Bottom
C'mon And Love Me
Rock And Roll All Night
I Want You
Calling Dr. Love
Ladies Room
Love 'Em And Leave 'Em
See You In Your Dreams
Makin' Love

If you don't dig these tunes, you simply don't dig Rock, period.

Been on a big KISS kick lately, so I have been frequently listening their first five studio albums in the cab as of late (first time that I have listened to them this intensively since the late '70s.)

Who else digs?

Comments

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    i guess i don't like rock.

i do like "Goin Blind" but that's about it

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    lamprey eel said:
    Comparable to 'Back In The USA' era MC5 and the New York Dolls

BAN

seriously, though, never could get into KISS. and I am totally a "rock" guy, they just seem corny to me, except for the occasional song here or there. KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park, on the other hand, is pure genius - their finest hour although it also shows exactly why I never liked them.

also: KISS = most blatant and awful sell-out-to-Disco hit of the era?? That is why rock dudes hated disco so much - I know people paint disco hate as anti-black/gay and much of it clearly was, but people's favorite rock bands like KISS having big hit Disco songs was some serious fuel for the backlash fire.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    First 8 track cassette I ever had was Double Platinum and it was the only recording I had to play on my stereo for like 9 months straight. I was like 9 or 10 years old at the time...so yeah, kinda always been into Kiss.

• Options
    lamprey eel said:
    more better

Ha.

I'm not a big fan but they're okay.

"Detroit Rock City" is one of the best music-related movies ever made.

• Options
    SoulOnIce said:
    lamprey eel said:

BAN

seriously, though, never could get into KISS. and I am totally a "rock" guy, they just seem corny to me, except for the occasional song here or there. KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park, on the other hand, is pure genius - their finest hour although it also shows exactly why I never liked them.

also: KISS = most blatant and awful sell-out-to-Disco hit of the era?? That is why rock dudes hated disco so much - I know people paint disco hate as anti-black/gay and much of it clearly was, but people's favorite rock bands like KISS having big hit Disco songs was some serious fuel for the backlash fire.

You disagree with the MC5 ('B.I.T.U.S.A. era) and Dolls comparison? I think the comparison is apt and you will discover it to be valid/true if you revisit KISS, especially the first three LPs, for some comparative rock history. If I had to describe their sound to someone, I would say that they sound like a less frantic New York Dolls (dig that languid tempo on 'Cold Gin'), although they do kick up the tempo Dolls-like on tracks like 'Let Me Go, Rock 'N' Roll.'

My interest in the music of KISS lasts up until and including the release of the compilation 'Double Platinum.' After that, my interest is basically zero (although the tune 'Lick It Up' is an unimpeachable albeit ridiculous good time... and don't front and tell me that you don't blast this tune when it comes over the airwaves on the radio in your automobile.) I ain't stumping for the 'I Was Made For Loving You' era, obviously.

Whether or not you think KISS is corny, there is no doubt that the tunes I listed above rock. Put to an honest rock appreciation listening test, I bet you wouldn't find fault with even 10% of those listed tracks.

lamprey eel said:
    SoulOnIce said:
    lamprey eel said:

BAN

You disagree with the MC5 ('B.I.T.U.S.A. era) and Dolls comparison? I think the comparison is apt and you will discover it to be valid/true if you revisit KISS, especially the first three LPs, for some comparative rock history. If I had to describe their sound to someone, I would say that they sound like a less frantic New York Dolls (dig that languid tempo on 'Cold Gin'), although they do kick up the tempo Dolls-like on tracks like 'Let Me Go, Rock 'N' Roll.'

My interest in the music of KISS lasts up until and including the release of the compilation 'Double Platinum.' After that, my interest is basically zero (although the tune 'Lick It Up' is an unimpeachable albeit ridiculous good time... and don't front and tell me that you don't blast this tune when it comes over the airwaves on the radio in your automobile.) I ain't stumping for the 'I Was Made For Loving You' era, obviously.

Whether or not you think KISS is corny, there is no doubt that the tunes I listed above rock. Put to an honest rock appreciation listening test, I bet you wouldn't find fault with even 10% of those listed tracks.

do you work for KISS?

no, it's just really important for him to impress upon me that his taste is more valid than mine.

b/w

New York Dolls = punk cabaret

KISS = punk Six Flags puppet show

SoulOnIce said:
    no, it's just really important for him to impress upon me that his taste is more valid than mine.

b/w

b/w Lick It Up sucks

check video for reference

• SoulOnIce said:

b/w

cosign the above.
    Those two bands are two completely different animals and the MC5 is on a whole 'nother planet.

While I realy do enjoy alot American Hard rock from the 70's that has since become part of the classic rock cannon (aerosmith, ted nugent, van halen, etc) I can safely say that i have never rode for Kiss. My first exposure to them was during thier renaissance and I could never figure out the hype.
    I think that they are a "you had to have been into them as a Kid" kind of band.

• Nothing stands out.
    Admire the hustle on the look,memorabilia and money made..

• I love Kiss, they have some damn near perfect rock songs IMO...especially a song called "getaway"... They never played it live, probably because it's an Ace written tune sung by Peter...so it just remains a sleeper deep cut from "Dressed to Kill".

I always play a Kiss song at least once or twice a month on my rock show...

• Options
    SoulOnIce said:

Not really. Just suggesting that they are worthy of reevaluation (to those who tend to dismiss them outright) on purely musical/"rockist" terms.

SoulOnIce said:
    .b/w

KISS = punk kabuki comic book collision

• Options
    The_Hook_Up said:
    I love Kiss, they have some damn near perfect rock songs IMO...especially a song called "getaway"... They never played it live, probably because it's an Ace written tune sung by Peter...so it just remains a sleeper deep cut from "Dressed to Kill".

Word up. I should have included that song on my list.

In my estimation, 'Getaway' should have been placed as the first song on the first side of that album, with 'Room Service' being placed as the opener of side two.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    badder_than_evil said:
    Nothing stands out.
    Admire the hustle on the look,memorabilia and money made..
    CO SIGN

I don't need KISS in my life. PERIOD.

lamprey eel said:

In my estimation, 'Getaway' should have been placed as the first song on the first side of that album, with 'Room Service' being placed as the opener of side two.

"IF ONLY MAGIC WERE REAL!"

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    KISS, not so much. Wicked Lester, totally.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Woimsah said:
    KISS, not so much. Wicked Lester, totally.

Didn't your dad produce their demo or something? I remember reading your Dad's blog and finding it an interesting read.

Beyond all the played out hits and dozens of records, Kiss has like 10 REALLY slept on cuts. For instance "Got to Choose" off Alive.

What was up with the $10 tickets earlier this year?

Was that everywhere or just here? They had a big arena show here a couple months ago and tickets were only 10 bucks ... wondered if that was just the tour, some sort of "give back to the fans" thing, or if ticket sales had been bad so they dropped them out of desperation.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    I've loved KISS since my birth but they are the perfect example of selling out and corporate greed. They were great all the way up to,,,,, I would say the "Unmasked" LP. Kiss Meets The Phantom was just a "strike while the iron's hot" situation and it was absolutely awful. But when Peter Criss left it was all down hill from there.

• I'll admit to liking Kiss, but I never followed their career with a fine-toothed comb. I own Destroyer and Rock & Roll Over; both are fine hard-rock LP's once you get past the makeup and the hype job.

But I can't get with the MC 5 and New York Dolls comparisons, both of whom I'd choose over Kiss in the bat of an eye. I look at them more as another Grand Funk. Minus the drum solos.

• the lp "the elder" was kinda crazy.... "world without heroes"

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    RAW_HAMBURGER said:
    the lp "the elder" was kinda crazy.... "world without heroes"

The Elder was their "Concept album". I'm not sure what that concept was but being die hard KISS fan I always found at least a few decent songs even on their bullshit releases. This coming from a dude that busted his head when he was 3 yrs old and didn't want to wash off the blood cause it looked like Gene Simmons, lol, yes.... I was that dude.

• love KISS .

and i don't think they are that incredible but i have always loved them for some reason. 100,000 years, cold gin, it's KISS .

and i attended the annual KISS conventions in both 1996 and 1997 in hackensack, nj and i still get postcards for them.

i think i spent a large chunk of the mid 1990's staring at the back cover of Alive and wishing i could somehow jump into the photograph.
    it was remarkable to me that everyone was sitting in this image too.

• i watched "Kiss Meets The Phantom Of The Park", their movie from 78' the other night

pure hilarity, part cartoon part bmovie. if you haven't seen it you should

gene simmons can breath fire and they all have superpowers. they battle werewolves, mummies and all sorts of monsters.

as for their music - erm not a huge fan.

my favourite pinball machine as a child was the Kiss one though.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    lamprey eel said:
    Comparable to 'Back In The USA' era MC5

Fuck outta here.

• kick out the jams > the entire kiss discography

• Options
    DocMcCoy said:
    lamprey eel said:

Fuck outta here.

No, I'm right on this (the aptness of the MC5 'Back In The USA'/early KISS comparison is quite clear.) The purity and simplicity of KISS's sound (were talking about their first three LPs here: 'KISS', 'Hotter Than Hell', 'Dressed To Kill'), unencumbered by any sort of real overproduction (that would come to be next with their fourth studio album 'Destroyer'), with uncluttered/economical song arrangements (and with simple recorded clarity of the individual instruments) that provide concise and clear melodic punch that is analogous to the stripped down, concise and to-the-point pure sound approach that Jon Landau would take when producing the MC5's second album.

KISS's energenic 'Room Service' sounds quite reminiscent of the MC5's 'High School' (especially the similarity of delivery of the song titles in each of the songs' choruses.) 'Rock Bottom' is total 'Back In The USA' era MC5 (albeit with a more definite mid-'70s vibe.) Paul Stanley sounds distinctly vocally influenced by Rob Tyner on this track.

Listen to 'Dressed To Kill' and said MC5 LP and then tell me otherwise.

• Options
    Ulysses31nicholas said:
    kick out the jams > the entire kiss discography

Well, 'Kick Out The Jams' and 'Back In The USA' (MC5's first and second LP respectively) are two completely different animals (galaxies apart in sound and approach.) I wouldn't compare the sound of early KISS to first LP era MC5, but to second LP era MC5, I most definitely would.

• It was the older bad kids that listened to Kiss. I stuck with my AM Gold.

Billy dont be a hero, dont be a fool with your life ... Billy dont be a hero something something something your wife.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    lamprey eel said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    lamprey eel said:

Fuck outta here.

No, I'm right on this (the aptness of the MC5 'Back In The USA'/early KISS comparison is quite clear.) The purity and simplicity of KISS's sound (were talking about their first three LPs here: 'KISS', 'Hotter Than Hell', 'Dressed To Kill'), unencumbered by any sort of real overproduction (that would come to be next with their fourth studio album 'Destroyer'), with uncluttered/economical song arrangements (and with simple recorded clarity of the individual instruments) that provide concise and clear melodic punch that is analogous to the stripped down, concise and to-the-point pure sound approach that Jon Landau would take when producing the MC5's second album.

KISS's energenic 'Room Service' sounds quite reminiscent of the MC5's 'High School' (especially the similarity of delivery of the song titles in each of the songs' choruses.) 'Rock Bottom' is total 'Back In The USA' era MC5 (albeit with a more definite mid-'70s vibe.) Paul Stanley sounds distinctly vocally influenced by Rob Tyner on this track.

Listen to 'Dressed To Kill' and said MC5 LP and then tell me otherwise.

You make a good case, but whatever similarities there are seem purely superficial to me, and I should point out I know both albums pretty well, even though I never, ever liked Kiss. As far as Dressed To Kill is concerned, the songwriting isn't as good, the playing certainly isn't as good (Kramer's two solos on Looking At You are still the greatest rock guitar solos I've ever heard), the arrangements sound unimaginative rather than uncluttered, and the whole thing sounds ordinary and pretty leaden. I spent a big chunk of the summer of '75 listening to this album involuntarily - one of my boys bought it on import, and he wanted our band to cover Rock And Roll All Night. I copped the '77 reissue of Back In The USA, and it pushed my wig right back, from that opening cover of Tutti Frutti right through to the end. There's nothing of Back In The USA's spark, urgency or joie-de-vivre anywhere on Dressed To Kill, nor on any other Kiss record I've heard. Nicest thing I can find to say about it is that it's competent and entertaining enough as far as it goes, but it's not in the same league as Back In The USA. Your mileage may vary, of course.