Dude, you don't spin break beats..

SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
(I apologize in advance if this has been talked about before, but I did a search and no dice.)How come everybody I talk to about break beats thinks I'mma fuckin house DJ? How come when I go to event that says on the flyer spinning funky break beats all night long. Isn't spinning one funky break beat? Seriously, when did they take over the word?
#112676 by pock (Power User+) at 2005-08-08 23:04:07 GMT (1 day ago) - If you mean real breakbeat it's been 40 years since Brown's 'Funky Drummer', it's time to move on ;P
- spidey

Comments

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    hipster dj: so what other stuff do you play other than hip-hop ?

me: i try play some breaks too.

hipster dj: oh cool, ya got that Aphex Twin ?

me: ...huh !?

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I just heard on the news that las vegas has a big break beat scene. No we don't? Alright, maybe I'm just late on this whole phenomenon.

OK, back to your christina aguilera/britney spears thread..

- spidey

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Who the fuck wants to go out and hear "funky break beats" anyways? At least at the other function there might be some girls there.

And anyway, I believe that sort of techno has been around longer than the crates forum to begin with.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    i think they used to be called "big beat" though no ?

this is like around the "trip hop" phrase...

at least thats what URB used to call em, "big beat" records.

• (I apologize in advance if this has been talked about before, but I did a search and no dice.)

How come everybody I talk to about break beats thinks I'mma fuckin house DJ? How come when I go to event that says on the flyer spinning funky break beats all night long. Isn't spinning one funky break beat? Seriously, when did they take over the word?

#112676 by pock (Power User+) at 2005-08-08 23:04:07 GMT (1 day ago) -

If you mean real breakbeat it's been 40 years since Brown's 'Funky Drummer', it's time to move on ;P

- spidey

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    i think they used to be called "big beat" though no ?

this is like around the "trip hop" phrase...

at least thats what URB used to call em, "big beat" records.

Big Beat is like Frat Boy Slim. "Breaks" is more like slowed down drum n bass. Not much breaks in it but it's a lot bigger than the breaknerd scene.

• (Power User+)

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I agree. That "breaks" shit is stupid. If just for the reason that the name was already taken almost 30 years ago. Goddam them techno hippy punks!!!!!

• shit, around here..to even say you are a DJ gets the "oh..what do you spin.. progressive house, progressive trance, intelligent drum n bass or florida breaks?"

shit gets on my nerves

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I heard these guys at the record store last night talking smack about dudes who aren't "real deejays" out in the club

One of them was like "I asked this dude if he had any jungle and he acted like he didn't know what I was talking about! Even a top 40 deejay has that shit!"

I gave him the gasface

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    What an awesome thread.

• this isnt relevant..but what a great picture

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    I hate that pigeon-hole gotta-be-a-genre steez.

Eastern beats, Miami Skip Hop, Albino Soul, Deep House, Progressive Synth, Retro Modernist Super Ska Breaks....

A break is a break... a passage of the song where the rest of the band lets the drummer get some.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

• kozzkozz 17 Posts
    how come i can't go to a club and hear some dude cut two copies of MAybe Tommorow, Take Me to the MArdi Gras, Zep 1V ect ect all night long. wtf?
    lamE!

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    CLASSIC!!

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Who the fuck wants to go out and hear "funky break beats" anyways? At least at the other function there might be some girls there.

My bboy crew, Homegrown, and I would. I live in vegas, player. I can go dance with girls to shitty music any day of the week.

And anyway, I believe that sort of techno has been around longer than the crates forum to begin with.

Not according to this.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakbeat

- spidey