So has anyone gone and bought some gold?

PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
Are you allowed to keep it or do they just send you pictures of it every now and then? Like Children Aid.

Seems like bullion is the new time share. What say the strut economic experts? (those guys with 20/20 hindsight)

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    World goes to semi-hell-->good investment
    World goes to Mad Max hell-->bricks for indestructible fortress

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    So when you buy it you are buying actual gold or paper gold? Seems like it is just paper gold. Which is problematic if you are trying to survive the apocalypse.

SportCasual said:
    So when you buy it you are buying actual gold or paper gold? Seems like it is just paper gold. Which is problematic if you are trying to survive the apocalypse.

You are buying actual gold unless it's a sham/scam company. I've heard of people in the commodities market having to "store" their commodity purchases when the market got glutted.
    d'oh

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    PAPER GOLD IS A SCAM
    THERE IS NO GOLD IN FORT KNOX
    TUNGSTEN BITCHEZ

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    all my money is in hydrogen.

• The_Non said:
    SportCasual said:

You are buying actual gold unless it's a sham/scam company. I've heard of people in the commodities market having to "store" their commodity purchases when the market got glutted.
    d'oh

I seem to recall that one can't really go purchase "gold" so any purchase would actually be "paper gold," or shares in a fund that actually holds the gold. Which would be problematic if you're trying to survive the apocalypse.

• SoulOnIce said:
    all my money is in hydrogen.

Pure h2o is a great long term investment. Wait 20 years and you can sell it to all of those southwestern states full of people who don't understand why there's a shortage of water in the desert.

Grafwritah said:
    The_Non said:
    SportCasual said:

d'oh

I seem to recall that one can't really go purchase "gold" so any purchase would actually be "paper gold," or shares in a fund that actually holds the gold. Which would be problematic if you're trying to survive the apocalypse.

You're right actually, the people I was talking about bought other commodities, not gold. There are futures contracts, paper gold, and the actual commodity, which I guess isn't really done in the US.