What's NYC lookin' like these days?

Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
I know, I know...this question has been asked a million times before.

I'm really looking for some nice lunchtime spots and maybe some lesser known (yeah right) clothing and sneaker spots. Best time to see Fela? Best place to get Fela tickets? I'll be wandering solo most of the time so if somebody wants to meet me for lunch or whatever I'd be down. Just tell me where to go and how to get there. Don't know the city too well. I'm staying a block from the Musuem Of Natural History. (What's that? Upper West or East Side?)

Anyway, let me know! Either here or PM.

Thanks!

Herm

Comments

• Oh, I get in town late Thursday and come back the following Thursday. I guess it's fashion week out there, no? Anything I should check out related to that??

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    we should grill at the shop on sunday if its nice

• newyork residents, dont mess a chance to hang out with hermilio the ray of arizonian light
    if i wasnt west coast bound i would have considered rolling up the interstate my damn self

• I haven't been in a long time but I used to be a fan of the Popover Cafe on 87th and Amsterdam. Their sandwiches and brunch are super good. If you feel like balling out, Ouest is the best spot in that neighborhood, but its expensive for sure. Their tripe is amazing. Don't go to Barney Greengrass, although an institution its badly overpriced. Honestly, not a lot of good food options in that neighborhood, the farther downtown you go the better the food.

I read in the newspaper that fashion week stuff is all sold out. There should be plenty of afterparties though.

Shame I'll be out of town when you're here, next time I guess.

Edit: There's a Shake Shack up there now I just remembered, get the protobello burger, best ever.

• THE 84th ANNUAL FEAST OF SAN GENNARO SEPTEMBER 16??? 26, 2010

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    ITS MUTHAFUCKIN ON!!!!!!!

The Museum is on the West Side in the 70's.

Walk yo ass over a couple of blocks to Broadway.

Stroll thru B'way - Lincoln Center and the rest till u get to Columbus Circle/Time Warner Center(Mall).

Continue thru to Midtown/Forty Duece and get your tickets for Fela.

• batmon said:

Stroll thru B'way - Lincoln Center and the rest till u get to Columbus Circle/Time Warner Center(Mall).

Draggin ass from the west 70's to Columbus Circle is a gawdawful death-march not a stroll. I can't imagine a more boring stretch to walk in this great metropolis. Take the train downtown.

sabadabada said:
    batmon said:

Draggin ass from the west 70's to Columbus Circle is a gawdawful death-march not a stroll. I can't imagine a more boring stretch to walk in this great metropolis. Take the train downtown.

It TEN blocks down b'way. Lemmie guess, ur outta shape?
    By the time u wait for the train youll be 10 block south.
    WTF?

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Saba, your recommendation is to skip Lincoln Center and Central Park in favor or San gennaro? in 2010??? Sarcasm right?

GV, Popover cafe is still pretty solid, but they had some health violations recently, so I've been hitting up Good Enough To Eat more. Some (hyperbolic) review they have posted in the window calls it "the best brunch in america", fwiw. The lines on the weekend can be brutal, so if you got time off during the week Herm, thats the breakfast spot. About 5 blocks from the museum..

• batmon said:
    sabadabada said:
    batmon said:

WTF?

Not to get to 42d and It feels like forever. And all the traffic at those big avenue intersections, no shade.

sabadabada said:
    batmon said:
    sabadabada said:
    batmon said:

WTF?

Not to get to 42d and It feels like forever. And all the traffic at those big avenue intersections, no shade.

Back when Tower was in the Lincoln Center area i would make that walk all the time. Plus i went to hs in on the UWS. A 20 block walk aint shit. Were not talkin about walkin 20 blocks south from 80 and 3rd.

Yankee Stadium is gonna be CRAZY for the Jay-Z/Eminem concert.

• Thanks guys! Keep 'em coming! I think I've been to Good Enough To Eat. I think I ate bacon waffles there.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Batmon you know whats going to be even crazier than yankee stadium during that show? People trying to chill on the subway platform to catch a glimpse of that show. Shit's gonna be insane.

And yeah Herm, bacon waffles are on the menu at GETE for sure..

Unherd said:
    Batmon you know whats going to be even crazier than yankee stadium during that show? People trying to chill on the subway platform to catch a glimpse of that show. Shit's gonna be insane...

You cant see the new stadium interior from the platform. That's my station.

The bars in the hood should be filled w/ all types of muthafuckas.

Ill be on my roof.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I havent spent much time on the upper west side, or at least lately i havent.

I like Uncle Nicks for greek. particularly anything off the grill:

The lomo at Sosa Borella was really good, but that was 6 years ago. not sure if it still holds up:

One of my favorite spots in the city to just max out and watch sunset is up there too. The bottom of Riverside park has a little tunnel that goes under the West Side Highway, and there's a big staircase on the west side of the tunnel. I usually just sit on the wall and drink a bagged up beer. the lights pretty great for photos.

• I dunno about "lesser known" clothing spots even existing in NYC, but what sort of clothing and what price range are you looking for?

• tripledouble said:
    newyork residents, dont mess a chance to hang out with hermilio the ray of arizonian light
    if i wasnt west coast bound i would have considered rolling up the interstate my damn self

Awwwwwwww.... I'm blushing!

Thanks Philahobo!!

• dwyhajlo said:
    I dunno about "lesser known" clothing spots even existing in NYC, but what sort of clothing and what price range are you looking for?

Probably ranging from Uniqlo to like Polo clearance prices. Ha ha! Not trying to splash out TOO much, but if I find some flyness I might come out of pocket a bit more. I really want to peep that Brooklyn Circus spot though.

• if you want to have one big $$ meal nearby.. there's a Fatty Crab in the UWS.

Herm said:
    Oh, I get in town late Thursday and come back the following Thursday. I guess it's fashion week out there, no? Anything I should check out related to that??

no

• batmon said:
    Herm said:
    Oh, I get in town late Thursday and come back the following Thursday. I guess it's fashion week out there, no? Anything I should check out related to that??

no

Oh it's like THAT? Too "high class" or just worth the effort?

• You can escape Fatty Crab without blowing tons of dough- the apps and small plates are a great starter, and just avoid the titular Crab to keep the cost down. My Malaysian friend rides for the places legitness.

Some good restaurants on Amsterdam near there; for new-American, Recipe is good. Ate there a couple times last year, and enjoyed it.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Crispy pork and pickled watermelon is perfection

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    They just opened a new Spot in Williamsburg I kinda want to try if you're down Herm?

• Possum Tom said:
    Crispy pork and pickled watermelon is perfection

That and the Pork Buns will GET YOU THERE.

• Possum Tom said:
    They just opened a new Spot in Williamsburg I kinda want to try if you're down Herm?

Let's do dis, Brutus!

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    IT'S LOOKING LIKE BEDBUGS SO THICK IN THE STREETS YOU COULD WALK ACROSS THEM AND NOT TOUCH CONCRETE

• Herm said:
    dwyhajlo said:
    I dunno about "lesser known" clothing spots even existing in NYC, but what sort of clothing and what price range are you looking for?

Probably ranging from Uniqlo to like Polo clearance prices. Ha ha! Not trying to splash out TOO much, but if I find some flyness I might come out of pocket a bit more. I really want to peep that Brooklyn Circus spot though.

I dunno, maybe just go to Uniqlo then? It's a pretty good place. Maybe the A.P.C. store if they're doing sales at the time. Opening Ceremony has a mixture of lots of really expensive stuff and stuff that's not quite so expensive, so you might be able to find some good deals. If you want really high quality (but expensive) denim, then give Self Edge or Blue in Green a visit. The Adidas Silver store is pretty nice too.

Herm said:
    batmon said:
    Herm said:

no

Oh it's like THAT? Too "high class" or just worth the effort?

There's really nothing that interesting this year, IMO. The only one that I think might possibly be interesting would be the Y-3 show, but that's just because Yohji Yamamoto is a cool dude. Richard Chai and Duckie Brown might be alright too, but probably not worth it unless you're really interested in fashion. Unless you're into boring stuff like Donna Karan and Michael Kors, in which case you're in luck!
    The really interesting stuff is usually gonna be in Milan and Paris.

• dwyhajlo said:

There's really nothing that interesting this year, IMO. The only one that I think might possibly be interesting would be the Y-3 show, but that's just because Yohji Yamamoto is a cool dude. Richard Chai and Duckie Brown might be alright too, but probably not worth it unless you're really interested in fashion. Unless you're into boring stuff like Donna Karan and Michael Kors, in which case you're in luck!
    The really interesting stuff is usually gonna be in Milan and Paris.

Thanks for this info, Dwyhajlo! I can't front, I'm more of a casual observer than anything, but I think it'd be kinda cool to see something related 'cause who knows when I'll be back during another fashion week.