Whats good Espana?

barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
Im in Spain for the week, currently Seville. Having a great time so far. Ill be going to Granada, Valencia, Barcelona, & Pamplona next. Any suggestions about places to eat, drink, see, etc. (esp. On the cheap) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Hey! I was born in Barcelona, and I've been living in Valencia for years. Depends of course on your tastes and on your wallet. Tell me and let's see if can I help you.

• Using the letter ??, it's Espa??a!

• If in Granada and looking for a hostel lookout for the Rambutan Hostel. I think they have a Facebook profile or something. I spent some marvellous days there.
    Anywhere in Spain: "Men?? del dia" is the way to get good, simple, authentic and cheap food. Go out eating in lunchtime, go to residential or working areas, look out for simple looking restaurants with many people waiting, don't be afraid of tiles or neon light atmosphere. You'll get a three couse menu including wine, water and bread for something between 7 and 13 Euros. If you go to the same restaurants at night you have to order "a la carte" and pay a lot more.
    In Barcelona go out checking bars in "El Raval" and not in the over touristy Barrio Gotico or The Ramblas. (Last time I was there is two years ago, maybe El Raval is touristy too now.) In Valencia be sure to check out the market hall it's spectacular. Also a long walk in the dry river park from the center to the "Ciudad de la ciencias" is something you should do.
    In Barcelona eat Pan con Tomate and try out all the good stuff they put on your sandwiches Llonganissa, Fuet, Chorizo, Sobrasada, Tortilla. Enjoy your tapas as long you're in Andalucia. Order "Patatas a lo pobre", "Pimientos a la brasa", Boquerones, Anchoas fritas, Pulpo a la Gallega (Octopus in it's own ink). Eat boy, eat!
    I'm just back from spain. Grey skies, food sucks. I hate to be back.

Enjoy your holiday.

• Well let's go. Valencia is not too big (about a million people), but all nice places to see are in a not too wide area, so you'll not do a long walking suppose. A must is the old part of the town, specially "El barrio del Carmen". There is all the best venues to take a beer or a coffee, many restaurants (expensive and cheap, but more of the cheaps) nice terraces, fashion shops. It's like a little London Soho, but more hippysh. In the night the place is full of quite different venues. Cafe Bolser??a and Fox Congo for chicks and commercial music. Club 47 for good electronica. Jimmy Glass too take a solo whiskey and listening to jazz in a quiet place. The are many many places, but all pubs (no discos in that area). Search for a good vinyl shop that is called 'Discos Mardigras!'. Not the best digging spot in the world but they have many original LPs of soul, disco, jazz funk and basically. Prices are very nice and items in fantastic condition. I've purchased there originals of American Gypsy, Leo's Sunshipp or 100% Pure Poison. Also have reggae, hip-shop, brazilian stuff and memorabilia.

That guy, Disco_che, has done a masterclass of spanish food so, keep on eating in that style. Near to El Barrio del Carmen is 'Plaza de la Reina' (a must also). 'Colon' is the main street, that kind of street with H&Ms;, Zaras and Starbucks (to do shopping).

Try to go to 'El R??o' and 'Los Viveros', the greenest part of the city to have a picnic. A Must is also 'Ciudad de las Ciencias', the most modern buildings in the city, now the icon. It has a great aquarium, planetarium and things like that. Repeat, a MUST.

If you have time, also go to 'Barrio Ruzafa', it's like 'El Carmen' but smaller. The same vibe, nice people and pubs.

If you wanna go out in the night, places:

MYA-Umbracle: Posh big disco in the city, very smart place, nice girls, big boobs but shitty music. The Venue is beautiful, it's inside 'Ciudad de las Ciencias' and has an open-air part. Audience is around 25-40 years old.

Miniclub: Small underground club. Best musical spot (electronica-dance, mainly good house and deep). Uses to bring some good DJs like Chez Damier, Rolando and Prince Thomas. Regular guests are Daniel Kyo and NAcho Marco. DON'T GO on a thursday. Go on friday or saturday. Audience is around 20-30.

La3: It's a kind of faker Ed Banger disco. Indie Dance mainly. Audience is around 18-25.

Sala el Loco: Quiet place, also have live music on nights. Usually funk things.

I recommend you not spend too much in food, I mean, you will have a very good lunch time with not enough money. Tapas are the highlights. If you could dig for a paella, try to do it on a beach restaurant, where are the best typical places (maybe 30 or 35 euros each one).

Oh, and for hostels...never go to the ones that are in the 'Calle Bail??n' area, which are near to the train station, because these buildings are full of prostitution. I you need anything more, send me a private.

Have a good time!

PD: Oh, and try to take a fresh 'Horchata', typical drinking. Not alcohol, it's like milk but it's delicious. My english is not as good as I would give you a good description.

• Bernedo and Disco_che, thanks for the suggestions. It's appreciated.

• When I stayed in Valencia I had tapas in this place various times because I loved the food equally as the atmosphere.

<iframe width="562" height="314" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.de/maps?hl=de&q=bar+el+kiosco+valencia&ie=UTF8&hq=bar+el+kiosco&hnear=Valencia,+Spanien&layer=c&cbll=39.474205,-0.377712&panoid=SsNg4AWcnfxww2rcqiNLHQ&cbp=13,76.89,,0,6.68&ll=39.474205,-0.377712&spn=0.005201,0.012059&z=16&source=embed&output=svembed"></iframe>
    See larger

I love Horchata but it's not everybodies taste. In the center you'll find some very old caf??s with fin de si??cle style tiles where you try it. You should definitely eat "Churros con chocolate" there. It's delicious.

If you're tired of the big city you can take a long walk in the Montjuic Park. Starting from Plaza Espa??a you can see the World Expo buildings and the Mies Van der Rohe Pavillion which is a true highlight. Than you can visit the 1992 Olympics buildings, visit Joan Mir??s art or just get lost in the big areal behind all that. At the end of the stroll you can take the cable cabin car from the top of the mountain directly back to the harbour (the ride is a little expensive though).