Bill Hicks

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central

:beerbang:

Comments

• greatest of all time

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Does saying I don't find Hicks amusing = instant ban?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Junior said:

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Junior said:

You sound like a Rick Astley fan

Rockadelic said:
    Junior said:

Yes, good one. Sigh.

Junior said:
    Rockadelic said:
    Junior said:

Yes, good one. Sigh.

You'd love the Bill Hicks routine about men who sigh.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I can appreciate Hicks, but I find the fanboys raising of him, to some kind of modern prophet, incredibly irksome.

I think it's possibly the fanboy appreciation which has put me off and I expect his routines were more shockingly amusing bitd but seeing clips like the above now just don't amuse me. It's all the easiest of targets with no real pay off punchlines. I love angry man rants as much as the next person but this just seems empty.

I'm well aware that it's not an acceptable opinion though and is an obvious indication that I have no sense of humour or somehow can't appreciate satire etc etc.

B/w

You sound like a Rick Astley fan

Well played sir.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Pretty much.

Like thinking rock & roll or smoking are still rebellious acts, in 2010 it's sadly become a cliche.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Okem said:
    Pretty much.

Like thinking rock & roll or smoking are still rebellious acts, in 2010 it's sadly become a cliche.

While dated, his clip above is still very much valid iMHO. For instance, consumerism and malls and how robotic people are.... The state of the music industry seems to be the same as what he is bitching about above. Fuck the haters.

The UK is recognized for lots of great things.

Comedy isn't one of them.

Rockadelic said:

There you go, that's way funnier than anything in that Hicks clip.

Junior said:
    Rockadelic said:

There you go, that's way funnier than anything in that Hicks clip.

Yeah....I thought that "lots of great things" was pretty damn funny myself.

It might be worth pointing out at this point before we revisit the UK vs USA bollocks for the umpteenth time that I do not speak for my country, being in fact, an individual with my own viewpoints. Hicks is as revered in the media over here as he no doubt is over there but, personally I find his ranting tedious and his choice of easy targets for an audience already sold on statements like "oh my god, Christians are stupid, isn't chart pop shit" etc lacking in any punch. That doesn't mean that I hate USA comedy any more than I hate 99% of UK comedy just that I could probably count on one hand the number of stand up comedians I actually find funny and Hicks isn't one of them.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Yer, not sure why this has to descended into a US vs UK argument..?

-

But seeing as it was tooken there.

Whilst Stand Up is pretty much an American art form, the British practically invented being funny on film. Charlie Chaplin, English. Stan Laurel, English. Saying the British don't do comedy is just woefully ignorant.

Okem said:

Whilst Stand Up is pretty much an American art form, the British practically invented being funny on film. Charlie Chaplin, English. Stan Laurel, English. Saying the British don't do comedy is just woefully ignorant.

In 2010 you're watching Chaplin and Laurel & Hardy and laughing.....seriously??

Junior said:
    It might be worth pointing out at this point before we revisit the UK vs USA bollocks for the umpteenth time that I do not speak for my country, being in fact, an individual with my own viewpoints. Hicks is as revered in the media over here as he no doubt is over there but, personally I find his ranting tedious and his choice of easy targets for an audience already sold on statements like "oh my god, Christians are stupid, isn't chart pop shit" etc lacking in any punch. That doesn't mean that I hate USA comedy any more than I hate 99% of UK comedy just that I could probably count on one hand the number of stand up comedians I actually find funny and Hicks isn't one of them.

So basically your comments were like those of a music critic that doesn't like music....understood.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Okem said:

In 2010 you're watching Chaplin and Laurel & Hardy and laughing.....seriously??
    Yes, cause that was my point.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Junior said:

So basically your comments were like those of a music critic that doesn't like music....understood.
    Classic wumming.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    This thread is funny.

DB_Cooper said:
    This thread is funny.

Funny "funny" or Hicks "funny"?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    RAJ said:
    Rick Astley
    deej rides.

Okem said:

Classic wumming.
    You know damn well I had to go look that shit up Mr. Bickywicky.

But c'mon son....dude says I don't like Hicks...and btw...I don't like 99% of the comics out there either.

While asking if such nonsense will get him banned.

Is that a proper wumming??

• Okem said:
    I can appreciate Hicks, but I find the fanboys raising of him, to some kind of modern prophet, incredibly irksome.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    Okem said:
    Plus he is rarely "funny." He reminds me of when Henry Rollins was doing "standup," which in essence was insightful observations about the world, ranting, and rarely "funny."

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Okem said:
    Rockadelic said:

Classic wumming.

You know damn well I had to go look that shit up Mr. Bickywicky.

But c'mon son....dude says I don't like Hicks...and btw...I don't like 99% of the comics out there either.

While asking if such nonsense will get him banned.

Is that a proper wumming??

It's just J's opinion, he's not trying to wind anyone up. He doesn't hate comics, just 99% of them.

Personally I think disliking Hicks now, is kinda Hicksian. (He's become too much of a poster boy for everything 'Alt'.) As is disliking 99% of stuff.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    not very funny

• i'm on the fence with hicks.
    can someone post another of his better routines?

I'll have you know I was hating on 99% of stuff years before it came into fashion. All wamming apart what I meant was that I don't really ride for probably 99% of UK comedy on tv be it stand up or situation. There's still a fair bit I like though and a decent number of US stuff as well but I just don't buy into the Gospel of Hicks and don't get why he's been elevated to the highest ranks when all I see is a mixture of obvious statements and attempts to shock without offending his core audience. He seems to me to work by creating a "if you're cool you'll laugh" response in people.

He pops up a reasonable amount on here and i know quite a few people with similar tastes to me who worship hin so seemed as good a time as any to see if I was alone in this opinion. As Okem said though, just my opinion no inciting or offence intended.

Christ that was a lot to write on a mobile phone.

• Options
    Junior said:

If you only like 5 stand-ups or less I would have to conclude that you just don't like comedy much and I would really, really hate to be you.

Also, RIP Robert Schimmel, who was one funny bastard.