Pavement Appreciation

fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
so, i'm going to see the reformed pavement this week and after many years i am re-discovering their music and sloppy as it is, it really holds up (unlike so much rockish stuff of that era); or maybe it's just a nostalgic, white, middle class, suburban, early 90's thing.

that said, after 18 years i am no better able to discern what the hell any of the lyrics are about.

does anybody here ride for pavement in any way, shape or form?

Comments

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I love Pavement, saw them live a couple of weeks ago. Didn't get to see them back in the nineties so it was great to get the chance now. They only played songs from the first four albums, could have played more from Wowee Zowee but otherwise, it was all I'd hoped for.

BTW, I never knew Stephen Malkmus plays guitar without a pick. Really weird to see a rock guitarist play with their thumb and index finger. He also gave Made in Sweden a shoutout - I think I was the only person in the audience that's heard them...

• They are one of the few rock-ish bands from my early teens that I don't feel embarrassed about listening to now.

Then again, I only really ever listened to their first two albums. Will always ride for "Newark Wilder" - probably my favourite tune of theirs.

• Pavement is one of the few groups in which I can't really describe why I'm a fan, but I just know that their music struck a certain nerve that kept me wanting to hear more from them. I most certainly ride. For Pavement.

• I ride. Got into them late, after they broke up.